Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Design work placement/ internship

Options
  • 26-10-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Guys,
    I am currently studying a Diploma in DTP and a Diploma in Internet marketing I am due to be finished both courses the 1st week of December. I attend these courses part-time in the evening and work full-time during the day. I work in social research but would really like to break away from that and get in to Graphic Design and marketing. My contract in my current job is up early December as the HSE has cut our funding so I feel it is the perfect opportunity to try gain experience in graphic design . I might even be able to begin sooner as my boss is flexible with working hours. I hope to gain work experience in a studio or a company with a graphic design team so I can learn more and improve my skills I am willing to work on a voluntary basis so would be prepared to do a couple of days a week now and by mid December would be able to commit to more hours. I don't meet the requirements for the job bridge scheme as I haven't been unemployed for 3 months and I don't want to wait a further 3 months after being made unemployed before I can apply for work experience. I've emailed a couple of places that I seen advertising for positions on the job bridge scheme seeing if they would be willing to take on someone part-time but got no replies :( . Has anybody got experience with this or have any advice in what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

Hi Mate, You a web Developer? you build web sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Hi there EMBS,

I don't really have much advice other than perseverance - finding somewhere that will let you work for free isn't as easy as it initially seems, in that they still have a time/energy outlay in taking you on and training you, especially if you're not there full time. But persist - send CV's with well-planned and to-the-point cover letters, actually call around to agencies on your off days (makes a much stronger impression), invest some money in putting together and printing out a portfolio of the work you've done so far to show what you're capable of.

Just wanted to add that I feel for you with regards the JobBridge scheme effectively coercing people to signing on for 3 months before being able to access an internship - it's big load of poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EMBS

Thanks kaki, yeah Im trying to work on my portfolio just trying to find the time to add some extra pieces other than course work, but with work and college it's tough but should have a lot more free time December ha.

Hi Valdez,
    I know some basics of HTML, CSS and SEO and learning word press at the moment but not a web developer no.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I know what it's like, working full time, followed by college 4 nights a week!

Making contacts in the business is crucial, so I would definitely take the time to call into local print houses/studios, makes a stronger impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

kaki wrote: »
    I know what it's like, working full time, followed by college 4 nights a week!

Making contacts in the business is crucial, so I would definitely take the time to call into local print houses/studios, makes a stronger impression.

I run a small print shop in ballyfermot. Was looking for a business partner to help me build it. Want to build some kind of brand. There's a guy in the states that has a company called printkeg. Him and another guy started it. Both web developers. Wanted to build something similar here. That's why I ask if you did web developer. He went from 300 customers - 700 in a short time. And he is just Internet based. Wonder if that would worth here in Ireland.

But I have been looking for someone like minded. I have the machines for leaflets - printing vinyl banners. Also do silk screen and embroidery. And more.

The only thing I don't have the money to take anyone on full time. But if someone wanted to partner with me to build this business I am sure we can work something out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Please take discussion of this type to the Services sticky, or PM, Valdez.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055735715

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭xtinataguba

there's a lot of legitimate sites that can give you experience and also a pay for your work, why dont you try registering in those site and see what you can get. a lot of companies there are really in need of a guy like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EMBS

Do you mean the sites where a brief is sort of auctioned and whoever has the best design idea does the project? I've seen a few US ones, have you used any of them sites yourself, have you found them to be good? I was hoping to get in-house experience but it's certainly something to consider.

Advertisement