Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cot & sleep qns!!

Options
  • 26-10-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Ok a few little qns!

My little girl is 8 & 1/2 months old.

She loved being swaddled as a baby.
    I'm going to get given out to for this... But... She sleeps in a grobag and... We then use a cellular blanket to tuck her in really snug as she seems to sleep best that way. She sleeps on her back and this prevents her rolling. When she occasionally breaks free she rolls and hits her head off the sides of cot, or just in general rolls so much she is completely awake and can't resettle herself. When she wakes now - because she is tucked in she can resettle herself. We tuck her in with cellular blanket only and from underarms down. I've heard bumpers are v dangerous so don't want to use one. I wish I could just let her roll around whatever way and wouldn't mind her sleeping on her side or belly etc but literally she would end up hysterical 10 times a night and I'm exhausted anyway!!!! She wakes between 5-6 as it is for the day. I don't know how to get her to sleep longer in the morns - I'm going to try putting her down at 6.30 instead of 7 as I've heard that sonetimes helps.. Keeping her later doesn't help so its worth a try!!

I also am pregnant with no.2. .no.1 has a cotbed now and I'm trying to think of the most economical option for when the baby arrives. A will be just 14&1/2 months so presumably will be in cotbed for a while after that? If I put the little baba in a Moses basket for about 4 months when will A be ready to move into a bed? Am I best buy another cot as well? And let A just use the bed of the cot bed and by the time the littlest one is big enough for cotbed move A into real bed?

Sorry I'm confusing myself now!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

dublinlady wrote: »
    Ok a few little qns!

My little girl is 8 & 1/2 months old.

She loved being swaddled as a baby.
    I'm going to get given out to for this... But... She sleeps in a grobag and... We then use a cellular blanket to tuck her in really snug as she seems to sleep best that way. She sleeps on her back and this prevents her rolling. When she occasionally breaks free she rolls and hits her head off the sides of cot, or just in general rolls so much she is completely awake and can't resettle herself. When she wakes now - because she is tucked in she can resettle herself. We tuck her in with cellular blanket only and from underarms down. I've heard bumpers are v dangerous so don't want to use one. I wish I could just let her roll around whatever way and wouldn't mind her sleeping on her side or belly etc but literally she would end up hysterical 10 times a night and I'm exhausted anyway!!!! She wakes between 5-6 as it is for the day. I don't know how to get her to sleep longer in the morns - I'm going to try putting her down at 6.30 instead of 7 as I've heard that sonetimes helps.. Keeping her later doesn't help so its worth a try!!

I also am pregnant with no.2. .no.1 has a cotbed now and I'm trying to think of the most economical option for when the baby arrives. A will be just 14&1/2 months so presumably will be in cotbed for a while after that? If I put the little baba in a Moses basket for about 4 months when will A be ready to move into a bed? Am I best buy another cot as well? And let A just use the bed of the cot bed and by the time the littlest one is big enough for cotbed move A into real bed?

Sorry I'm confusing myself now!!

I'd go with your last option and get the cot and then when no1 is ready 4 a toddler bed no2 should be going into cot bed, cots are quite big tbh and my 2yr old is still in his

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

just on your first point - my mum told me the other day they used to TIE us to the cot. Sleeping bags back then had little strings on the side, that you could fix to the bars of the cot :eek:

So I think you're grand...:p

E is the same though, he usually wakes between 5 and 6, ready for the day. On the very rare occasion that he sleeps longer, we parents are lying awake in bed hoping he's ok, almost wishing him to wake up and start making noise...
    Putting him to bed later has the opposite effect as well - he'll wake even earlier ;-( plus he'd be super-cranky cause he's overtired.

I don't think there's much you can do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Bumpers with strings are dangerous. You can get ones without strings. The other remaining dangers are low air circulation: but you can get half ones.
    Head trapped under it: ones that go under the mattress.
    And climbable... If she is in a grobag she is less likely to do this, but you can get collapsible ones.

Grobag do one. We swore by this until she was about 18 months when we moved her to a single bed.

http://gro.co.uk/grobag-nursery-jolly-day-out/jolly-day-out-bumper

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

you can get sleep sacks with swaddles in them that have velcro so she couldnt get out, you can swaddle over arms or under arms. Would this help at all?

https://www.halosleep.com/safe_sleep_for_baby/safe_swaddling_made_easy/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Galah that makes me feel a lot better!!! Haha I can't believe that!! It's like my dream... But oh so bad at the same time!!
    I am in denial that she's actually just an early waker... I'm still living in blind hope ill fix her 'problem'.... I'm learning more and more every day - esp as her personality develops that she is just as string willed as me!!!!

Pwurple - thanks for that - it says on it up to 6 months? I wonder why it's not deemed safe?! These things confuse me! Cos what are u meant to do - just let them whack their heads?!

Bstar - that looks good a but would be afraid she would t be able roll back as her arms would be tucked away - think shed manage to get stuck on her front and would freak out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh you're right...! We only got it when she was about 7 months and whacking her head all night on the cot. Must be the climbing thing? She did eventually climb on it at 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We've an Airwrap bumper and find it great. It's not as padded as the traditional bumper but its fully breathable should baby end up against it, if as the baby gets old she tries to stand on it it collapses so they can't get leverage off it, and it ties with Velcro.
    We got because our little one kept getting her arms and legs stuck in the cot bars!

http://www.familyfare.ie/store/product/2356/Airwrap-4-side/

Just when I googled for the link above which is where we bought it, I see Littlewoods now do a 'deluxe' version of it that seems more padded which might help more with the babies head banging off the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

This seems to work with my wriggly little girl: I let her do whatever she pleases. She started off sleeping on her stomach until 4 months when she decided she liked changing positions during the night (a grow bag doesn't prevent her from turning). At this point she did turn and bump her head a couple of times on the bars but I doubt it hurts, she doesn't have that much momentum. Anyway, I did strictly nothing and she quickly learned her way around the bed and to put herself back to sleep. I feel like if you prevent a baby from doing something like that, they'll depend on it or just try harder...

Advertisement