Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And not one ba$tard lends a hand!.

• 26-10-2012 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Well we've all been in this position at some point in time, and if you haven't you will be!.

Its a sh*t feeling, you've come off the bike. Pain is starting to set in and you're picking up bits of the bike and the best anyone manages is 'are ya all right?'..

Eh no we're not ~ in fact we're a bit bloody shocked & hurt and could do with a hand :mad:

And who comes to his assistance ~ another biker at 1:15 :cool:

Have a safe weekend guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Looks like a yammy FZ6 aswell, how did he not see that huge diesel spill? In fairness a few cars stopped and asked was he okay, he must have said yeah move it on nothing to see here. Feel sorry for him picking up bits of the bike and it stuck under the barrier.

Sticky side down lads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Oil is hard enough to see at the best of times!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Agree,that someone could have stopped to see if he/she was ok.

BUT........

Traveling way too fast into that bend.

He/she didnt reduce speed at all

Also he/she can clearly see the oil slick,yet he/she does nothing to avoid it,he/she stays bang in the middle of the road and rides through/over it.

Oh and theres a Shell Petrol Station about 100 meters on down the road,in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »

BUT........

Also he/she can clearly see the oil slick,yet he/she does nothing to avoid it,he/she stays bang in the middle of the road and rides through/over it.

They are going a hell of a lot slower around the bend than when out on the main road. Look at the rate the crash barrier markings are passing on their right at the start of the video, and just before falling.

Its all so easy to watch a video, and see what we already know is coming up, compared to being on a real road.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    They are going a hell of a lot slower around the bend than when out on the main road. Look at the rate the crash barrier markings are passing on their right at the start of the video, and just before falling.

Its all so easy to watch a video, and see what we already know is coming up, compared to being on a real road.

No difference in speed at all.

The fact that he/she is under pasing at speed (compared to other cars and the lane markings and crash barrier markings) and also that its a narrow exit route off the main road,clearly shows this chap/woman has not got any cop on on him/her as to how to ride the bike when exiting and with such a tight exit bend and crash barriers that close.

Also choosing to ride at that sped into a thight exit bend and also through/over the fluid rather than to avoid it also shows a clear lack of experience and anticipation.

No difference in speed at all.

Exact same speed? I wont argue paddy, As I know its pointless.

He/she is lucky that they were wearing the correct protective gear too.

At least he/she got that much right.

They should join boards. Everyone on it seems to be great keyboard drivers.

They should join boards. Everyone on it seems to be great keyboard drivers.

Robbie,Im an experienced bike enthusiast,and I would not ever exit off a main road onto a narrow exit road and sharp bend like that.

You slow down to expect the unexpected and you also be aware for what you cant see around the corner.

Now the slick can be clearly seen for a good distance before the biker happens upon it.The biker doesnt slow down or move the bike to one side.

The biker decides to ride right through it/over it.

The rate on impact too,shows that speed was also a deciding factor in this crash,as the biker didnt have enough cop on and anticipation to ride the bike off the main road into that corner/exit in a carefull anticipating way.

The biker is lucky that the crash barrier and one of its footings didnt sever off his leg,or an arm,or even kill him.

• Advertisement

Robbie,Im an experienced bike enthusiast,and I would not ever exit off a main road onto a narrow exit road and sharp bend like that.

You slow down to expect the unexpected and you also be aware for what you cant see around the corner.

Now the slick can be clearly seen for a good distance before the biker happens upon it.The biker doesnt slow down or move the bike to one side.

The biker decides to ride right through it/over it.

The rate on impact too,shows that speed was also a deciding factor in this crash,as the biker didnt have enough cop on and anticipation to ride the bike off the main road into that corner/exit in a carefull anticipating way.

The biker is lucky that the crash barrier and one of its footings didnt sever off his leg,or an arm,or even kill him.

So he was going fast enough for the barrier to sever a leg, yet got up no problem? Paddy its worse you`re gettin. Probably lucky they didnt hit support direct alright, but they were not going that fast when they fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jeeze Paddy you're doing an awful lot of nit picking there.

IMO he (or would you prefer he/she?) was going slow enough, probably slow enough to have switched off a little.

Tbh a nice bend like that and I'd have been whoring into the bloody thing.

Either way he (he/she Paddy?) didn't come down too heavy.

As regards motorists stopping and asking if you're ok, not good enough when you've had an off and you're not thinking straight.. I came off on Aisling Quay and broke two elbows and my wrist and still manage to pick the bike up and put it on the path before the shock wore off and the real pin hit me.

Oil spills, you can have the stickiest tires in the world but once you ride on that sh*t you're gonna come off.

/Checks to see if I've posted in the other motoring forum ~ nope I didn't... P, thats hilarious :D

So he was going fast enough for the barrier to sever a leg, yet got up no problem? Paddy its worse you`re gettin.

Barriers haver sharp undersides/edges and human flesh is easy to tear/ripp.

He/she could have been unlucky and impacted the barrier at a certain angle which could have severed into one of his/her limbs.

Thank god they were lucky.:)

PS-If you want to see what a crash barrier can do to human flesh,then ask Robert Kubica and look at his shocking injuries.

Jeeze Paddy you're doing an awful lot of nit picking there.

IMO he (or would you prefer he/she?) was going slow enough, probably slow enough to have switched off a little.

Tbh a nice bend like that and I'd have been whoring into the bloody thing.

Either way he (he/she Paddy?) didn't come down too heavy.

As regards motorists stopping and asking if you're ok, not good enough when you've had an off and you're not thinking straight.. I came off on Aisling Quay and broke two elbows and my wrist and still manage to pick the bike up and put it on the path before the shock wore off and the real pin hit me.

Oil spills, you can have the stickiest tires in the world but once you ride on that sh*t you're gonna come off.

Maybe the motorists were not bothered,as maybe the biker had cut them off and undertaken them at speed????

One of the motorists seems to have a bit of a go at the biker,so maybe the biker cut the cars up/undertook at speed beforehand????

The biker lacks anticipation for the type of exit road and its layout.No forward thinking on the bikers part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BUT........

Way too fast? Did I watch the same video? :confused:

Paddy, and I'm not getting into a bickering piss fest with you.. But the motorists you're talking about are coming from an entirely different road and in the complete opposite direction..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Best I would do in this situation is to get out assess the situation and apply first aid where necessary and that is because I am a trained first aider. The normal person would not have training to help someone in a crash and could do more damage then good to a person who might be injured.

Best they could do without the chance of being liable for further injury is to call an ambulance which I am sure many of them did.

Frank but there you go.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Way too fast? Did I watch the same video? :confused:

Your computer is probably running slow, as is mine :p

Barriers haver sharp undersides/edges and human flesh is easy to tear/ripp.

He/she could have been unlucky and impacted the barrier at a certain angle which could have severed into one of his/her limbs.

Thank god they were lucky.:)

They were going nice and handy there. Many experienced bikers would race around that bend. Imo the major factor of no serious injury was that they were going fairly handy into the bend.

Look at the start of the video, focus eyes on the barrier markers, they are a blur at the edge of video nearest to the biker. Now look when they fall, far slower. And when they fall, the barrier markers are nearer, so should appear to pass faster at any given speed.

They also quickly catch the car ahead, then slow to less than their speed right at the start of the exit. Clearly they slowed a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You should give up this craic and start riding MotoGP or at least Superbikes Paddy.
    I agree that he rode over the oil but you don't know what was behind him. you can't see from his mirrors if there was a car or truck behind him.
    I see a lot of guys on sports bikes braking midcorner and standing the bike up and making it a series of straights, thats not right either.
    I think he slowed from when he came up next to the lada , then he entered the corner at a constant speed and a moderate lean angle and hit the oil.
    Cameras don't give a true impression of distance especially those head mounted versions.
    He just turned off and lost the front.
    If he braked he would have crashed anyway and maybe been run over from following traffic.
    Its a motorway offramp you should expect to be able to negotiate it at a reasonable speed not crawl down it.

• Advertisement

Dont have an issue with anything he did or did not do in the video in relation to speed, position etc etc, but IMHO that slick is extremely evident in the middle of the road not to see it and avoid it.

Paddy, and I'm not getting into a bickering piss fest with you.. But the motorists you're talking about are coming from an entirely different road and in the complete opposite direction..

So the cars and the driver (1 minite 35 seconds) is in a car that is traveling in the opposite direction then??
    Its an exit road of a main road and its one way.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont have an issue with anything he did or did not do in the video in relation to speed, position etc etc, but IMHO that slick is extremely evident in the middle of the road not to see it and avoid it.

Clear lack of cop on and anticipation,which is absolutely vital on a motorbike.

All I am waiting for is someone to stick up that vid with "AHH HERE LEAVE IT OUUUUU" just after he bins it!!!!

:p:p

PS-If you want to see what a crash barrier can do to human flesh,then ask Robert Kubica and look at his shocking injuries.

Thats sort of irrelevant really. A hammer can inflict terrible injuries, a potato peeler, a set of stairs, a bail of straw......, but they need a set of circumstances to do so.

At the speed this biker was going, severed legs or hands were extremely unlikely.

Clear lack of cop on and anticipation,which is absolutely vital on a motorbike.

I am guessing you are another poster with the gift of 100% concentration.

One of the things i find with boards is, how perfect many posters are. No matter what accident comes up, there is always someone that will say they would be immune from that.

All I am waiting for is someone to stick up that vid with "AHH HERE LEAVE IT OUUUUU" just after he bins it!!!!

:p:p
    I was thinking that when I first looked at it

I am guessing you are another poster with the gift of 100% concentration.

One of the things i find with boards is, how perfect many posters are. No matter what accident comes up, there is always someone that will say they would be immune from that.

As Ive allready said Robbie,I would never turn off onto a narrow exit/slip road with a tight corner and crash barriers that close,at any sort of speed.

Im experienced enough in biking to know when to slow right down and take it very handy and be in anticipation.

The slick aspect is one that could be argued alright. But it is always a little easier to be wise after an event, particularly one we can rewind and re-check.

• Advertisement

As Ive allready said Robbie,I would never turn off onto a narrow exit/slip road with a tight corner and crash barriers that close,at any sort of speed.

Im experienced enough in biking to know when to slow right down and take it very handy and be in anticipation.

Never said you weren`t paddy. But plenty of bikers would have taken that bend a lot faster than the one in this video.

I wouldnt class that as a particularly tight corner either.

Advertisement