Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And not one ba$tard lends a hand!.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness he was walking around picking up bits and bobs so was not in dire need of assistance, maybe he did not want to hassle of some "DO GOODER" and having to explain what happened, alot of people just help coz they are nosey beatches and are not even genuine.

I've had loads of crashes over the years and have never asked for help, I think usually we're in shock and there's some 'fight/flight/freeze' thing going on.

I think if people admit it most of us find an off slightly embarrassing, esp. in the likes of the rider in the YT clip ~ he's going (imo) pretty slow, he's not acting the sack and gets an off.. He probably seen the oil and got a little target fixation ~ more fight/flight/freeze?.

Either way he wasn't doing anything mad, bad, crazy or stupid and it goes to show that even the most careful of us can/will come a cropper someday.

/Remind to self ~ Marto, price new tyres ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

All messing and E PENIS ego aside, if the road was covered from left to right and was a big slick with no option but to ride through it fair enough I prolly would have **** myself TBH. Knowing there is a pretty good chance the crotch rocket is going down. But a small narrow patch like that is totally avoidable, does look like target fixation alright.

Dont like seeing any biker come off even acting the sack as you say, I dont claim to be this that or the other and yes its easy to be an expert in hindsight...its just my opinion. Hopefully not much damage was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The biggest idiot in all this, and the one that deserves 99% of the blame is the person who drove their oil/diesel leaking car & caused the slick in the first place. No doubt some muppet that decided to keep driving and get the fault fixed 'after work' or similar.

Also, in relation to the biker. It's possible that he did see the slick, but chose to try ride through it as braking on oil is a guaranteed fall. The time before seeing the slick and actually being on it would be less than a second. Not enough time to slow down. Saying that, he was driving a little faster than I would have in that corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It is ptetty standard for people to just drive pass, I had an incident recently where I was stopped at the lights with a truck behind me. My light is still red but the guy in the truck misreads them and drives right into me, knocking me over and pushing me between two lanes. The lights then trun green, and people just drive around me on the ground. Commuting time and nobody wanted to be delayed by a couple of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The biggest idiot in all this, and the one that deserves 99% of the blame is the person who drove their oil/diesel leaking car & caused the slick in the first place. No doubt some muppet that decided to keep driving and get the fault fixed 'after work' or similar.

I somehow doubt that was caused by a car leaking oil or diesel.

And if it somehow was a car, how would a car driver notice a leak that started at that point on the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

On the point of not stopping, my brother came across a biker on a back road, seconds after an off, he stopped to help. He said no one else stopped, but the nice people took their time to beep at him to get his broken bits of bike off the road.
    Some people are just arseholes.

I think if the biker is lying motionless on the ground 99% of the people would stop....if they see some fella running around cursing his head off in this day an age would you stop (if not a biker)?

As I said I told my missus never to stop for anyone or anything in this day and age if she is on her own (what could she do in anyway) but to drive ahead pull in safely and phone the police/ambulance/fire bridgade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Pfft fecking go faster around that corner on me pushbike.
    Good to see he's ok anyway.

Pfft fecking go faster around that corner on me pushbike.
    Yes there has been some serious lack of judgement displayed in the thread with posters saying he didnt slow at all from the main road, or was flying etc.
    Good to see he's ok anyway.
    Yea he can be thankful he was taking it handy around the curve when he was looking back at the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

From the placement of the camera and it's limited POV, I'd say the bike is going considerably faster then as it appears in that vid

For what that's worth..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I just looked at the clip again, (after watching it a few times and then reading the whole thread)
    it does look like he is going faster than it seems (in my limited inexperience)

the other thing is and no one seems to have mentioned this

Is he holding the clutch in the corner? and from a long way before taking the turn? it seems like its pulled all the way in and that he's freewheeling and braking? it seems like thats whats happening? (just checked it again, looks like it was never released, probably have been better going down the gears anyway?

if he was riding along in gear surely he'd have had more control, it does look like it (the slick) starts further back in a narrower band at 15 seconds, that might be an indication of something worse further on? in hindsight suppose.
    Not sure it would be a good idea to stop there to help, he was up and about, I'd be afraid of someone coming around and rear ending me out of it too not expecting me to be parked there, best intentions dont always work out.

Something extra to keep in mind for an inexperienced rider anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wossack wrote: »
    From the placement of the camera and it's limited POV, I'd say the bike is going considerably faster then as it appears in that vid

For what that's worth..

Err limited FOV, that should be

Wossack wrote: »
    Err limited FOV, that should be

I thought it was me you were talking about, with my limited point of view:D

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

The rider pulled the break just before it went over.

As a biker, albeit a very cautious one, I have to ask: is it because the rider pulled the break while cornering on the oil that the bike went from under them? Or, would the tires have slipped due to the combination of oil and corner alone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Pipz wrote: »
    In my opinion, he had slowed down to an acceptable speed on that bend, and you don't know that he hadn't got a tinted visor on or anything, so maybe the oil slick wasn't as obvious to him as it was on camera.

The rider has a clear visor...as can be seen at 1 minute 8 seconds,where you see the helmet and clear visor in the mirror of the bike.

So he has a very clear view of the road ahead and the spillage/slick.

paddy147 wrote: »
    The rider has a clear visor...as can be seen at 1 minute 8 seconds,where you see the helmet and clear visor in the mirror of the bike

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

fleet wrote: »
    The rider pulled the break just before it went over.

As a biker, albeit a very cautious one, I have to ask: is it because the rider pulled the break while cornering on the oil that the bike went from under them? Or, would the tires have slipped due to the combination of oil and corner alone?

He was braking a fair bit before and into the bend, looks like he seen the oil then released the break, but tbh hitting a slick like that and you're almost certain to come off whether you're on the brakes or not ~ but braking on oil certainly increases your chances of coming off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness he was walking around picking up bits and bobs so was not in dire need of assistance, maybe he did not want to hassle of some "DO GOODER" and having to explain what happened, alot of people just help coz they are nosey beatches and are not even genuine.

When I was knocked off and broke my leg, some f**ker who turned up (there were plenty of other people around, busy junction) decided that after picking my bike up he'd start it - with me on the ground screaming at him not to, the engine case was holed and leaking oil - started it revved the crap out of it and then rode it the five yards to the kerb :rolleyes: then he stole my keys no doubt hoping the bike would still be there later.

W*nker :mad:

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    When I was knocked off and broke my leg, some f**ker who turned up (there were plenty of other people around, busy junction) decided that after picking my bike up he'd start it - with me on the ground screaming at him not to, the engine case was holed and leaking oil - started it revved the crap out of it and then rode it the five yards to the kerb :rolleyes: then he stole my keys no doubt hoping the bike would still be there later.

You Serious, ****in hell. Sure even the hassle of getting another key fob if you did not have a spare!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

What a cnut:mad:

• Advertisement

Having said that if I came across some dude that binned a panigale with only slight cosmetic damage and was sitting there with a broken leg......MWAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jasus, what a dirty scumbag :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

been there, done that...ruined the t shirt...
    all the gear all the time?? if that car drove over him his leathers would have kept enough of him to burn or bury i suppose....
    the oil is clearly visible to the viewer- as is anything else you care to look at while he's driving, the rider may not have copped it in time..no point looking at that and pinning him to a board on it...
    as for lack of forward thinking ... I'd say its not paying attention at the time... he's probably thinking about the fantastic shots he's going to upload onto his favourite forum with the camera thats mounted on his helmet...
    he doesn't seem to lean the bike too much so he is taking his time... I'd say he caught sight of either a car in the mirror or the barrier and a slight tap on the front lever did the job..
    as for no one stopped... he's lucky he wasn't ploughed..

there was a similar diesel spill along the m50 during the summer...

Advertisement