Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security light wiring question

• 26-10-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

So I need to replace the security light at the front of our house. They look similar but when I opened the back of the old one it has 4 wires coming in. 2 are live according to my mains tester. However the new one only has 3 connections, live, neutral and earth. See pic of old connection below:

http://db.tt/SkjvWrou

How should I hook up to the new one?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The other one looks like its a switched live. Do you have a switch in the house that turns the light on permanently.
    Can you post a pic of the new light connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

quarryman wrote: »
    So I need to replace the security light at the front of our house. They look similar but when I opened the back of the old one it has 4 wires coming in. 2 are live according to my mains tester. However the new one only has 3 connections, live, neutral and earth. See pic of old connection below:

http://db.tt/SkjvWrou

How should I hook up to the new one?

dont use the wire thats connected into the connector block with the 2 white wires
    just tape it up inside the box
    this is for an over-ride switch that you may have inside the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

meercat wrote: »
    dont use the wire thats connected into the connector block with the 2 white wires
    just tape it up inside the box
    this is for an over-ride switch that you may have inside the house

That's exactly what I did in the end. I found a switch in the house by the door that didn't seem to control anything. Both of the "live" wires stayed live regardless of which way the switch was. Taped up the leftmost one and used the other and all working well now.

Thanks for the help guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

quarryman wrote: »
    That's exactly what I did in the end. I found a switch in the house by the door that didn't seem to control anything. Both of the "live" wires stayed live regardless of which way the switch was. Taped up the leftmost one and used the other and all working well now.

Thanks for the help guys!

too late so,sorry
    at least your sorted;)

Advertisement