Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing New House Alarm

Options
  • 26-10-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to draw upon some of your expertise and experience. I've read a good few of the posts here, taking notes to come up with an alarm system that's suitable for my house. I had paid EPW for a monitored alarm, but it hasn't been installed yet, and having now properly researched alarms I'm going to cancel.
    So... I have a few questions...
    1. Is a trap system basically PIR detectors in the hall for example, so if anyone breaks in from a room, the PIR will verify the break-in?
    2. What is the point of an internal siren if you have an external bell?
    3. I have a large glass sliding patio door in my kitchen. Also a dog sleeps in the kitchen. Is the best defence for this door a dual sensor vibration & contact?
    4. My phone line cables run up the side of the house just around from the front door. Obviously this isn't good from a monitoring point of view. So I'm thinking GSM. Which is better, one that rings (voice dialler) or one that sends a txt? Allowing for the disadvantages of GSM (jamming), is radio much more expensive? What is polling?
    5. The house is pre-wired, but apparently there's a break/discontinuity somewhere between the kitchen and the downstairs toilet. Can I have a combined wired/wireless system? Or I am better of going all wireless? Or repair the break (if that's possible!?) For wireless I understand 868mhz is the way to go?
    6. Where is the best place to put the control box (probably not the correct name) - these were traditionally in the hotpress I think. Is inside the front door ok for the control panel keypad?
    7. Is there a system that at some point in the future I could add in a camera or two and be able to check them remotely over the internet?
    8. Finally, which is better, Siemens or HKC? Proably depends on the model I suppose!...

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to draw upon some of your expertise and experience. I've read a good few of the posts here, taking notes to come up with an alarm system that's suitable for my house. I had paid EPW for a monitored alarm, but it hasn't been installed yet, and having now properly researched alarms I'm going to cancel.
    So... I have a few questions...
    1. Is a trap system basically PIR detectors in the hall for example, so if anyone breaks in from a room, the PIR will verify the break-in?
    Not quite. With PiRs only the alarm wont even activate until someone is in the house. For a confirmed alarm here a second PiR will need to be activated.
    2. What is the point of an internal siren if you have an external bell?
    2 warning devices are better than one. Its important that the alarm is as loud inside as well.
    3. I have a large glass sliding patio door in my kitchen. Also a dog sleeps in the kitchen. Is the best defence for this door a dual sensor vibration & contact?
    Yes. Possibly 2 inertia sensors depending on the size.
    4. My phone line cables run up the side of the house just around from the front door. Obviously this isn't good from a monitoring point of view. So I'm thinking GSM. Which is better, one that rings (voice dialler) or one that sends a txt? Allowing for the disadvantages of GSM (jamming), is radio much more expensive? What is polling?
    Voice is better than text as there is confirmation of the message been received. Radio is more expensive & is only really an option for central station monitoring. Polling is where a digi is repeatedly sending signals to a station to confirm the line is still live. There is still some debate on a dual com fail being considered a confirmed alarm.
    5. The house is pre-wired, but apparently there's a break/discontinuity somewhere between the kitchen and the downstairs toilet. Can I have a combined wired/wireless system? Or I am better of going all wireless? Or repair the break (if that's possible!?) For wireless I understand 868mhz is the way to go?
    Go for a hybrid system that will give you both options. Siemens or HKC 10/70 are the 2 to look at.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056676093
    6. Where is the best place to put the control box (probably not the correct name) - these were traditionally in the hotpress I think. Is inside the front door ok for the control panel keypad?
    Inside the front door up beside the fuse board is fairly common.
    7. Is there a system that at some point in the future I could add in a camera or two and be able to check them remotely over the internet?
    The Siemens 4320 will do this with certain IP cameras .
    8. Finally, which is better, Siemens or HKC? Proably depends on the model I suppose!...
    Again look at the Compassion thread and decide for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

Thanks very much for the reply Koolkid. Had a look there and seems like HKC might be better (its quite technical though!). One other question. How reliable are 'pet friendly' PIRs? I was thinking of one in the kitchen where the dog sleeps but am thinking instead of no PIR in the kitchen, and have it in the hall instead (for confirmed entry), with the inertia sensors covering the kitchen access points.
    Could a dog's bark set off an inertia sensor? Not sure how sensitive they are.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Pet tolerant PiRs reliability depends a lot on the size of the pet.
    Barking won't set off an inertia.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

PM sent KoolKid.

Advertisement