Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GIMP help!

Options
  • 26-10-2012 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Doing a course in UCC and one of the modules is Multimedia. the lecturer is quite poor and despite several attempts by our class rep. to get him to bolster his notes or give demonstrations we are all still struggling. nothing we can do for the moment so i need help with my third assignment for him.

he has given us an image which is a roller coaster and wants us to create an animation whereby a flying object circles the roller coaster. he wants the flying object to appear behind the roller coaster at some points and in front of it at others so that either the rollercoastr or object is partially blocked at some stages. its the latter piece i have trouble with and youtube hasnt brought up anything.
    he also wants us to add the effect of stready rain but i thankfully know how to do this.

any advice on what steps to take would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Do you have to use GIMP? There are many tools that can do this to varying degrees.
    Blender would be a great way to make something very sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Doing a course in UCC and one of the modules is Multimedia. the lecturer is quite poor and despite several attempts by our class rep. to get him to bolster his notes or give demonstrations we are all still struggling. nothing we can do for the moment so i need help with my third assignment for him.

he has given us an image which is a roller coaster and wants us to create an animation whereby a flying object circles the roller coaster. he wants the flying object to appear behind the roller coaster at some points and in front of it at others so that either the rollercoastr or object is partially blocked at some stages. its the latter piece i have trouble with and youtube hasnt brought up anything.
    he also wants us to add the effect of stready rain but i thankfully know how to do this.

any advice on what steps to take would be appreciated!
    Script it first sit down decide how the actions will take place. Choose the layers that you want. Document this process it will count for marks.

1: object circles rollercoaster this requires two layers the object and the background image. Simples.
    2: object appears behind the rollercoaster: this requires three layers. Extract the rollercoaster and save it as a seperate layer. this will give you the three layers that you require with the animation occuring in between the two.
    3: The tricky part is the fourth layer which is the layer you extracted from the second action. Simply duplicate this layer and delete the parts of it that you want the object to appear behind.

All layers will appear as they should with the illusion that they are all the same. The key is the script of how this should occur and this is what your lecturer is looking for as a logical learning process. Along with the ability for self learning.

Advertisement