Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Canadian Viza for Old Guys.

Options
  • 26-10-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Ok basics first, 41yrs old, 15yrs working for GSK pharmaceuticals as a factory operative, outta steady work 5yrs now.I was told it would be a lot easier for me to get a viza to work in Canada than it would for Australia.however from what i see Canada has as much red tape if not more, also like Aussie the Canadians do not seem to want old guys. By old guys i mean anyone over 35 need not apply is what i have gotten from both Aussie and Canada so far online gov sites.

Also i have had one crowd of agents looking for 2500 euro to get me sorted but they would not elaborate until i paid non refundable deposit of 500 euro.

Be honest, what are my options? I want to work and eventually study in Canada.I do not want to waste another 4yrs here studying since by then i will be like 45yrs old. Total newbie so looking for some clear advice, keep it clean.

Can an old fart like me do this or am i completely FUBAR ? What do i need to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Ok basics first, 41yrs old, 15yrs working for GSK pharmaceuticals as a factory operative, outta steady work 5yrs now.I was told it would be a lot easier for me to get a viza to work in Canada than it would for Australia.however from what i see Canada has as much red tape if not more, also like Aussie the Canadians do not seem to want old guys. By old guys i mean anyone over 35 need not apply is what i have gotten from both Aussie and Canada so far online gov sites.

Also i have had one crowd of agents looking for 2500 euro to get me sorted but they would not elaborate until i paid non refundable deposit of 500 euro.

Be honest, what are my options? I want to work and eventually study in Canada.I do not want to waste another 4yrs here studying since by then i will be like 45yrs old. Total newbie so looking for some clear advice, keep it clean.

Can an old fart like me do this or am i completely FUBAR ? What do i need to do?

Hi deadman. Just a quick question.
    What sort of skills do you have just to figure out whats the best way of doing this.
    Any idea where in canada you would like to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Tide i was a factory operator for GSK pharmaceuticals for 15 years,trained in tablet press,inkjet printing on caplets etc. Trouble is no paperwork like a degree all training inhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alberta Bound

Hi the over 35 rule in canada is for the IEC visa...under normal PR application there is no rule on age...though they are bringing a new points system in in january which will penalise you the older you are. Be very wary of these types of agents they are playing on peoples desperation....nobody can guarantee you a visa for canada that is absolute BS....your best route would be to find employers in your field and contact them directly..also look up north to the oil field some of your skills may transfer....Good luck.
    If you can get an employer then they might be willing to try and get an LMO for you which will in turn give you a work permit...it is not guaranteed though...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

You should check out some of the provincial "Nominee" programmes. We are going via the SINP - Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Programme - which is specifically for that province, but some other provinces have them too. There's a lot of jobs going in Saskatchewan, mainly relating to the oil businesses but you may find that some of your skills are useful, you'll need to suss out the preferred skills though.

If you can line up a qualifying job with an employer then your age won't be such an issue.

Advertisement