Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Australian Work Viza for old Guys.

Options
  • 26-10-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Ok basics first, 41yrs old, 15yrs working for GSK pharmaceuticals as a factory operative, outta steady work 5yrs now. Aussies do not seem to want old guys. By old guys i mean anyone over 35 need not apply is what i have gotten from Aussie so far online gov sites.

Also i have had one crowd of agents looking for 2500 euro to get me sorted but they would not elaborate until i paid non refundable deposit of 500 euro.

Be honest, what are my options? I want to work and eventually study in Australia.I do not want to waste another 4yrs here studying since by then i will be like 45yrs old. Total newbie so looking for some clear advice.

Can an old fart like me do this or am i completely FUBAR ? What do i need to do? I have good mate in Tassie that will help me with where to go and not to go and moral support so not too bad. However no family contacts whatsoever so would be on my own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You certainly can apply over the age of 35 (you can actually apply up to the age of 50), but only if you meet the requirements for one of the visa's. I think you might be thinking of the Working Holiday Visa which is just a 1 year holiday visa for those up to the age of 31.

From what you have posted I doubt you would qualify for skilled migration visa, was a factory operator skilled as in having trade papers or degree or something? Your age goes against you as you would only get 15 points for age but if you had IELTS level 8.0 and a PhD it would be doable.

You maybe can investigate a 457 visa but you first need to find a job and employer to sponsor you for a relevant occupation on this list http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf maybe your friend in Tassie could help you find a job?

Honestly I think the fact you have been out of steady work for 5 years is your biggest hurdle to get over, plus there has been a noticeable slow down in Australia over the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Yes mandrake it was a very skilled job as i basically had peoples lives in my hands, meaning if i did not do my job correctly and it was not caught people could potentially die and a lot of people at that. I am not exagerrating when i say that. Trouble is all trainig was in house so i have no degree to back it up so to speak.

I want to go back to school and get my degree in vet nursing or paeds but just not here. I am trying to combine immigrating with starting in university. To that end i would love to go to uni in Aussie as they have some really great vet nursing schools and are better geared towards animal welfare in general IMHO.

Basically you are saying so i was correct that my age will go against me big time? i heard about that 457 viza thing today and must look that up. Maybe you could message me pm and let me know how that works if you know?

Yes mandrake it was a very skilled job as i basically had peoples lives in my hands, meaning if i did not do my job correctly and it was not caught people could potentially die and a lot of people at that. I am not exagerrating when i say that. Trouble is all trainig was in house so i have no degree to back it up so to speak.

Yeah I know that feeling myself as I work in the medical sector myself, but you will definitely need qualifications at least to a trade level for a skilled migration visa. If you don't have any qualifications you would to obtain something like a AQF III to get the skills assessment (that is if what you can do can be assessed). Its then up to the assessing body to decide how skilled you are, not you or me.
    I want to go back to school and get my degree in vet nursing or paeds but just not here. I am trying to combine immigrating with starting in university. To that end i would love to go to uni in Aussie as they have some really great vet nursing schools and are better geared towards animal welfare in general IMHO.

University in very expensive if you are not a citizen or permanent resident, you could become a international student but the maximum you can work is 20 hrs per week. That is a doable option if you are well funded, otherwise you could do a cheap TAFE course like a lot of others these days same thing with the 20 hrs per week.
    Basically you are saying so i was correct that my age will go against me big time? i heard about that 457 viza thing today and must look that up. Maybe you could message me pm and let me know how that works if you know?

well the target age group for migration is 25-32 as you get 30 points for that, over 40 and you only get 15, over 45 and you get 0. If you are only getting 15 points you are going to need a high qualification like a degree (15 points) or a PhD (20 points) plus IELTS to make up the short fall.

Basically the 457 works by an employer offering to sponsor you for a job, so the employer officially nominates you to come and work for them. The trouble with that is it hard to get a job from Ireland as an employer is taking a considerable risk in time and money taking a punt on you, if you had some outstanding skills or qualifications that might make and employer very interested then this makes finding a willing sponsor a lot easier.

Have a look on www.seek.com.au and look for a job that you think you could do and apply asking that you require sponsorship.

Otherwise get your friend to try and pull some strings to set you up with a sponsored job.

Its really easy to read about this on the net, making it all work is the hard bit.

Looks like i will be going back to school here after all so? Oh well its never easy is it? lol

Looks like i will be going back to school here after all so? Oh well its never easy is it? lol

Not at all, worth a try with employer sponsorship or the cheap TAFE course.

But you have to consider that for migration only about 3500-5000 Irish people er year only actually qualify to migrate its not as easy as RTE makes itt out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

You would be better off studying in Ireland, I was looking int the cost of doing a masters over here and it was around $20k for the course!

Ya but crack i will be 45 by then, if they are knocking me on my age now i am completely screwed then. I agree about the cost of courses especially on Australia, not financially viable i am afraid. I was really trying to do everything so i would not have to spend another 4yrs in this country. Now i will have to move to arse end of Dublin or Donegal.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brissygirl32

Maybe see if there is a gsk site in oz - approach them for similar role and sponsorship? Good luck

Advertisement