Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Cork

Options
  • 26-10-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Got a job down in Cork city so will be moving down there in the next week or two... However, I've only been in Cork twice or three times, and only once in the city centre! Safe to say I'm definitely new to the city... :p
    Do you guys have any hints or tips for surviving Cork? Anything would be greatly appreciated :)
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Cork's great. You're going to love it and welcome. Great night life. Small and friendly city (by and large). Great coffee shops etc

Have you picked a place to househunt? Need help choosing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Don't forget to try to get to the boards meet-ups, decent people!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

A newbie? YAYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!

12736_635756571944_1270313545_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Hopefully you'll enjoy it there's plenty going on. As well as the boards meet ups there are some other groups for people looking to explore Cork. Check out www.meetup.com there is a new and not so new in Cork group. I've gone to a couple of their events and they're sound people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

kingtut wrote: »

12736_635756571944_1270313545_n.jpg

Don't be scared of him...He's nice really..;)

• Advertisement

polkabunny wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Got a job down in Cork city so will be moving down there in the next week or two... However, I've only been in Cork twice or three times, and only once in the city centre! Safe to say I'm definitely new to the city... :p
    Do you guys have any hints or tips for surviving Cork? Anything would be greatly appreciated :)
    Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Cork....

Be sure to get in touch with KingTut,,and join in for some mad nights out...

We're meeting up in about 3 weeks time,,so if your down by then,,be great if you could join the gang.

How to survive Cork?? Stay indoors 24/7 .. :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

cantdecide wrote: »
    Cork's great. You're going to love it and welcome. Great night life. Small and friendly city (by and large). Great coffee shops etc

Have you picked a place to househunt? Need help choosing?

Thank you! I'm really unfamiliar with Cork city. I'm currently looking at a place in Shanakiel, as it's close to where I'll be working, however the mammy is looking over my shoulder and looking at every property to rent in Cork city :p
    Any areas that I should avoid?
    magicianz wrote: »
    Don't forget to try to get to the boards meet-ups, decent people!

Thank you, I will try! Be nice to meet some people, only problem is I get quiet around new people a lot

If I got that reaction wherever I went I'd be a much happier traveller, thanks :pac:
    Laneyh wrote: »
    Hopefully you'll enjoy it there's plenty going on. As well as the boards meet ups there are some other groups for people looking to explore Cork. Check out www.meetup.com there is a new and not so new in Cork group. I've gone to a couple of their events and they're sound people

I'd never heard of that site before, will definitely check it out! They might get scared by my Roscommon accent though... :p
    MrFrisp wrote: »
    Don't be scared of him...He's nice really..;)

I'll reserve judgement for now ;)
    Welcome to Cork....

Be sure to get in touch with KingTut,,and join in for some mad nights out...

We're meeting up in about 3 weeks time,,so if your down by then,,be great if you could join the gang.

How to survive Cork?? Stay indoors 24/7 .. :eek:

:D

I'll most certainly try to, I should hopefully be down on time! I've only gone to one meetup before, for one of the college forums, so it would be nice to get to another one
    Hah, can't stay inside 24/7, it's been basically what I've been doing for the last 2/3 months :eek:

Thanks everyone :D

Can't really say what areas to avoid...What some think could be non-safe areas,others who live there may say they are fine.

Your advantage is that you will be renting...If an area turns out to be a nightmare,,you can move after a while. If you were to buy a house,,it wouldn't be so easy.

Shanakiel seems to be a fairly good area..Never heard of any serious trouble up there.

Where to go probably depends on whether your going out daytime,or at night..You looking for bars,,niteclubs?

I wouldn't know much about nightlife...That's for younger people..I'm on the verge of qualifying to be a hermit. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It'll take you a while to learn the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Fresh maet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP - are you working in Apple? Depends on where in Shanakiel you'll be renting! If it's Laurel Ridge or any where near, AVOID!!! Not a nice area...

OP - are you working in Apple? Depends on where in Shanakiel you'll be renting! If it's Laurel Ridge or any where near, AVOID!!! Not a nice area...

Is it not? Seriously?

I didn't know that....Never heard much about the place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

Don't move to Mayfield. Its a scum hole.

Is it not? Seriously?

I didn't know that....Never heard much about the place...

I nearly rented a place there when I first moved to Cork. I could see at once the area wasn't nice. My DH and his family didn't bother to tell me it was more or less Knocknaheeny! :eek:

We live in a better area now, thank goodness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The whole city is grand for living as long as you live on the south side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Dermighty wrote: »
    The whole city is grand for living as long as you live on the south side.

Exactly, you'll be nice and safe in those massive traffic jams making sure that Fiontan and Cuchulain make it to school in a controlled atmosphere

Anyway, my 2 cents:

Only place I'd avoid in the Shanakiel area would be the half renovated asylum.
    The original windows are part of a preservation order meaning the place is known to be freezing in the winter

And as for living on the northside: you won't get trouble unless you go looking for it.

Biggest threat you'll face in the city is yourself and how you act, especially when on a night out

You can be in the wrong place at the wrong time in any part of the city, even in the hallowed grounds of the Southside

If you want a half decent idea of an area before you go looking at places to live,
    head into a few local pubs, ask the staff, talk to the regulars
    and you'll get a better idea of an area than a few biased opinions off the internet

Exactly, you'll be nice and safe in those massive traffic jams making sure that Fiontan and Cuchulain make it to school in a controlled atmosphere

And as for living on the northside: you won't get trouble unless you go looking for it.

I have never even heard of anyone called Fiontan or Cuchulain.

Secondly, you won't get trouble unless you go looking for it, such as living on the northside. I hope some day they will just build a moat and bailey and separate the north and south permanently. :D

Nothing wrong with the Northside!! Plenty of nice areas here, thank you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cork kayaker

Northside isnt all bad... I am in Shanakiel myself. My bf used live near turners x and a gang of 20 kids jumped on his car and terrorised him a few years back. Never had that up here and I am from west cork. (When I was growing up all the ppl in the city were Norries to me!)
    There are some nice enough estates and small communities. Yes theres a halting site up by apple and knocka looks worse than it actually is.
    Welcome to cork- I am living up here 14 years and love it!

Can't really say what areas to avoid...What some think could be non-safe areas,others who live there may say they are fine.

Your advantage is that you will be renting...If an area turns out to be a nightmare,,you can move after a while. If you were to buy a house,,it wouldn't be so easy.

Shanakiel seems to be a fairly good area..Never heard of any serious trouble up there.

Where to go probably depends on whether your going out daytime,or at night..You looking for bars,,niteclubs?

I wouldn't know much about nightlife...That's for younger people..I'm on the verge of qualifying to be a hermit. ;)

Fair enough, I ideally want to be on bus routes to Hollyhill or nearby for getting to work! I won't really know anyone and was never much of a nightlife person :P Just have no idea of where places like Tesco and Lidl are in relation to the city centre or anything! :eek:
    It'll take you a while to learn the language.

That's if they understand my language, haha! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Dermighty wrote: »
    I have never even heard of anyone called Fiontan or Cuchulain.

Secondly, you won't get trouble unless you go looking for it, such as living on the northside. I hope some day they will just build a moat and bailey and separate the north and south permanently. :D

Actually this lad is a good example of a previous point

If you've an inbuilt snobbery and feel like mouthing off at any given opportunity, you'll soon find your opinions and your teeth will be in two very different places

Oops, accidently hit post :pac:

Is it not? Seriously?

I didn't know that....Never heard much about the place..

Will try to avoid then, place I was looking at wasn't on Laurel Ridge though... I am indeed going to be in Apple :)
    trodsky wrote: »
    Don't move to Mayfield. Its a scum hole.

Know a family from Mayfield, will try to avoid if possible. Thank you!
    If you want a half decent idea of an area before you go looking at places to live, head into a few local pubs, ask the staff, talk to the regulars and you'll get a better idea of an area than a few biased opinions off the internet

Thank you for the advice, it is quite helpful! However, I don't really have the cash to be floating around Cork all that much, so the internet is all I have right now!
    Northside isnt all bad... I am in Shanakiel myself. My bf used live near turners x and a gang of 20 kids jumped on his car and terrorised him a few years back. Never had that up here and I am from west cork. (When I was growing up all the ppl in the city were Norries to me!)
    There are some nice enough estates and small communities. Yes theres a halting site up by apple and knocka looks worse than it actually is.
    Welcome to cork- I am living up here 14 years and love it!

Thank you, hopefully I'll fit in alright! I lived in Ballymun last year in Dublin, looks a bit rough around the edges but never got any trouble, hopefully will be the same down there too :)

polkabunny wrote: »
    Fair enough, I ideally want to be on bus routes to Hollyhill or nearby for getting to work! I won't really know anyone and was never much of a nightlife person :P Just have no idea of where places like Tesco and Lidl are in relation to the city centre or anything! :eek:

That's if they understand my language, haha! ;)

I'm not from that side of the City,,but I think the nearest Tesco is Paul Street..

There's a Lidl in Churchfield as far as I know...That's not far at all.

I'm not from that side of the City,,but I think the nearest Tesco is Paul Street..

There's a Lidl in Churchfield as far as I know...That's not far at all.

Correct. There's also a Dunne's in Blackpool which isn't far at all.

OP. The 202 bus takes you right outside Apple. (If that's where you'll be working). Get a copy of the bus route from Bus Eireann and work your way in from there.

The bus goes through Ballintemple and Blackrock on it's way to Mahon. They're nice areas on the Southside. If you want to stick north, then have look at Gurranabraher, particularly around the Cathedral/Orrery Road areas. Settled area, reasonable rents and right on the 202 bus route which will get you there in less than 15 minutes.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Correct. There's also a Dunne's in Blackpool which isn't far at all.

OP. The 202 bus takes you right outside Apple. (If that's where you'll be working). Get a copy of the bus route from Bus Eireann and work your way in from there.

The bus goes through Ballintemple and Blackrock on it's way to Mahon. They're nice areas on the Southside. If you want to stick north, then have look at Gurranabraher, particularly around the Cathedral/Orrery Road areas. Settled area, reasonable rents and right on the 202 bus route which will get you there in less than 15 minutes.

Hope this helps!

Ballintemple is indeed a nice area, as is Blackrock. If you go with Shanakiel, the closer the Sunday's Well, the nicer it gets.

And on the northside-southside divide.....I'm a southern norrie.......South Parish :D

Actually this lad is a good example of a previous point

If you've an inbuilt snobbery and feel like mouthing off at any given opportunity, you'll soon find your opinions and your teeth will be in two very different places

Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

+1 for Cathedral Road. It would be right on your bus route, nice area with mainly older families etc living there. I would advise living on the lower end of it though as you would be closer to the shops etc. on Shandon Street and closer to town plus it is a fairly steep hill if you're going to be walking up it often..
    I lived there for over a year and never felt uneasy if alone in the house at night..

MissRetro wrote: »
    +1 for Cathedral Road. It would be right on your bus route, nice area with mainly older families etc living there. I would advise living on the lower end of it though as you would be closer to the shops etc. on Shandon Street and closer to town plus it is a fairly steep hill if you're going to be walking up it often..
    I lived there for over a year and never felt uneasy if alone in the house at night..

Plus,,although I don't live there...There is a fantastic view from the top of Cathedral Road too. ;)

There is indeed. You can see the harbour on a good day. Another great view is from the top of Gurranabraher Rd. Lovely view of St Finbarr's Cathedral from there too! I'll try to put some pix up later...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I've often wondered why the north side of Cork isn't the posh bit with the fantastic views a lot of it has.

The north side bashing is ridiculous. I'd have no problem whatsoever living in the north side if it suited me. I've found that minding your own business keeps you out of trouble and being a dick gets you into it and I'm sure that applies equally on both sides of the river.

Advertisement