Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap console repair in Dublin

Options
  • 26-10-2012 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭

Anywhere know I can get my ps3 fixed (YLOD) in Dublin thats reliable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Anywhere know I can get my ps3 fixed (YLOD) in Dublin thats reliable?

Just a heads up I had the ylod on my old ps3 phat model and I got it fixed by a company in Dublin, they took 2 weeks longer than they said it would take and when it came back fixed about 1 week later it was broken again. I was supposed to be covered by a 30 day warranty but they just wouldn't answer the phone. As far as I've seen even when fixed they do revert back to the ylod soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Just a heads up I had the ylod on my old ps3 phat model and I got it fixed by a company in Dublin, they took 2 weeks longer than they said it would take and when it came back fixed about 1 week later it was broken again. I was supposed to be covered by a 30 day warranty but they just wouldn't answer the phone. As far as I've seen even when fixed they do revert back to the ylod soon enough.

Feck ill give it a shot if not lesson learned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

This problem is caused by the GPU (graphics processing unit) within the ps3 and is akin to a desktop computers dedicated graphics card problem scenario. The solder used on some of the older ps3 GPU boards have a problem where the solder looses cohesion at a certain temperature and looses connectivity to the on-board chip/components, it cannot be permanently fixed as the board would need a complete resolder of every component of the GPU-Board.

The easy quick fixes are overheating the main-board to get it working just like baking a pc GPU card.

If you have the time..Delve into the repair yourself as it's not too difficult and you will learn a few other things as you disassemble the ps3, worth a shot if you can put a bit of time offside to do this...

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_867467&feature=iv&src_vid=4_Ic1_TY-GU&v=Vr1zyAGwnuU

Part 3 re-assembly http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_278940&feature=iv&src_vid=Vr1zyAGwnuU&v=VHgCa3XEPic

zenno wrote: »
    This problem is caused by the GPU (graphics processing unit) within the ps3 and is akin to a desktop computers dedicated graphics card problem scenario. The solder used on some of the older ps3 GPU boards have a problem where the solder looses cohesion at a certain temperature and looses connectivity to the on-board chip/components, it cannot be permanently fixed as the board would need a complete resolder of every component of the GPU-Board.

The easy quick fixes are overheating the main-board to get it working just like baking a pc GPU card.

If you have the time..Delve into the repair yourself as it's not too difficult and you will learn a few other things as you disassemble the ps3, worth a shot if you can put a bit of time offside to do this...

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_867467&feature=iv&src_vid=4_Ic1_TY-GU&v=Vr1zyAGwnuU

Part 3 re-assembly http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_278940&feature=iv&src_vid=Vr1zyAGwnuU&v=VHgCa3XEPic

Ive checked a few vids alright and have electronic engineering experience but its been years :o I found a shop in Tallaght that does it hopefully its cheap enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Ive checked a few vids alright and have electronic engineering experience but its been years :o I found a shop in Tallaght that does it hopefully its cheap enough.

Opposite the Mill? Avoid, mine only lasted a week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Those DIY methods do more harm than good, & often prevent the console from ever being properly fixed.

A reball is the recommended fix, usually comes with at least a six month warranty.

A reflow if done properly is another way of doing it, should come with at least a three month warranty. If not, its likely the 'repairer' didn't do the job properly & even more likely that havn't a clue how to.

DIY fixes only should be used to retrieve save games etc, because they overheat the board causing even more unfixable damage than was there to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Are console pros still in business?

Heard they were good, i'm not sure if i'm remembering correctly there was some stuff going on awhile ago so i don't know if they're still going.

Varik wrote: »
    Are console pros still in business?

Heard they were good, i'm not sure if i'm remembering correctly there was some stuff going on awhile ago so i don't know if they're still going.

I think there was some contactability issues for some people, but overall he does the job correctly & would be someone I've recommended in the past. Not sure of anyone else doing reballs properly at the moment

F1ngers wrote: »

I thought they where gone years? last time I dealt with them they kept a laptop for 3 months claiming they lost the paper work on it :rolleyes:

Its the place in the square got quoted 90 though :confused:

Its the place in the square got quoted 90 though :confused:

What exactly did they quote you for?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    What exactly did they quote you for?

Hi Mick,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We do charge 90 euro to fix yellow light problem in PS3.

Thats it there im gonna go up and ask is it permanent,for 90 I could prob get a ps3 without pads and leads etc

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ianobeano

I've used Techrepair out near Dun Laoghaire, very reliable, check them out on FB.

Hi Mick,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We do charge 90 euro to fix yellow light problem in PS3.

Thats it there im gonna go up and ask is it permanent,for 90 I could prob get a ps3 without pads and leads etc

So they don't even know what type of repair they're going to offer you & what exactly your paying for? That'd be enough for me to look elsewhere tbh

So they don't even know what type of repair they're going to offer you & what exactly your paying for? That'd be enough for me to look elsewhere tbh

went up today,was told it will take 3 days and ill get half my money back if the yellow lights come back.

went up today,was told it will take 3 days and ill get half my money back if the yellow lights come back.

half your money back if their 'repair' doesn't work?? Some advertising that :D

Yeh I know but they do have a good rep and have fixed laptops for me before.

Yeh I know but they do have a good rep and have fixed laptops for me before.

As long as its a reball, which I doubt it is for that money, that should be ok. Personally I wouldn't bother reflowing a PS3 as very few people seem to be able to do it properly

As long as its a reball, which I doubt it is for that money, that should be ok. Personally I wouldn't bother reflowing a PS3 as very few people seem to be able to do it properly

Taking your advice gonna get a new model 2nd hand,prob have to spend a bit but I dont mind.

120 got a 500 gb model with 3 games happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

F1ngers wrote: »

i agree they fried my chip altogether while trying to fix my lyod.

consol pro's phibsborough highly recomended by me he has top quipment for reballing and its a better and longer fix than ,some who just use a heat gun over it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

i got all my money back when mine didnt work.
    and according to consumer law thats what your entitled too.not half

Its up on adverts now if anyone wants a cheap one for fix or parts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JaneyM89

<snipped>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

JaneyM89 wrote: »
    <quote snipped>

Interesting, I got mine back today, gave it to him last week. Nice guy and technically very sound, explained everything that was going to be done regarding the reball and got 12 month warranty. 60GB Launch back in the game. :)

Cmod Note: Regards commenting on repair vendors, any defamatory comments will be removed. Please do not post anything that could cause legal headaches for boards.ie, and/or yourself.

Advertisement