Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music DVD in HMV

• 26-10-2012 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Was in HMV the other day and was quite pleased they were stocking the new Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree frontman) live solo DVD.

It's a new enough DVD, can't be out more than a month and a bit maybe but 24.99 is an absolute joke. It's like they said here is a non-mainstream artist so we can charge double the price for it. It was half this with free delivery on CDWOW. Even the bluray is about half the price on that site.

To be honest, I think they do this quite a bit for CDs from less well known artists. I've noticed it several times anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

flyswatter wrote: »
    Was in HMV the other day and was quite pleased they were stocking the new Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree frontman) live solo DVD.

It's a new enough DVD, can't be out more than a month and a bit maybe but 24.99 is an absolute joke. It's like they said here is a non-mainstream artist so we can charge double the price for it. It was half this with free delivery on CDWOW. Even the bluray is about half the price on that site.

To be honest, I think they do this quite a bit for CDs from less well known artists. I've noticed it several times anyway.

CDWOW is in Jersey, no Duty on purchases from them, plus no overhead for having an on street store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

CDWOW is in Jersey, no Duty on purchases from them, plus no overhead for having an on street store.
    I don't see what your point is? It doesn't change HMVs pricing and for claritys sake its at a similar price to CDWow at Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I don't see what your point is? It doesn't change HMVs pricing and for claritys sake its at a similar price to CDWow at Amazon.

Point is its not particular to HMV, theres a record shop here in the Netherlands called freerecordshop and its the same story.

Bricks and mortar shops are always more expensive than online shops.

Even amazon compared to itself there are crazy price differences, e.g. something on amazon.de might be half the price of amazon.co.uk, or vice versa.

Compare bricks and mortar to the same
    Compare online to online

Online stores do not have the same overheads as a store on the high street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Jersey is not in the EU. I've been caught for customs from play.com which are also in Jersey. CWWow and Play.com CAN be caught for customs when ordering over a certain amount.

Point is its not particular to HMV, theres a record shop here in the Netherlands called freerecordshop and its the same story.

Bricks and mortar shops are always more expensive than online shops.

Even amazon compared to itself there are crazy price differences, e.g. something on amazon.de might be half the price of amazon.co.uk, or vice versa.

Compare bricks and mortar to the same
    Compare online to online

Online stores do not have the same overheads as a store on the high street.

DVD's are dirt cheap to produce though in factory, either way, HMV are making an extortionate markup on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

DVD's are dirt cheap to produce though in factory, either way, HMV are making an extortionate markup on this.

But they dont make them.

They buy them from the record companies.

But they dont make them.

They buy them from the record companies.

Never claimed they did, and the markup is still significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

, and the markup is still significant.

what is the mark-up? a mark-up isn't a profit.

The mark up is there to cover the likes of rent, staff, light, heat, insurance etc ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the markup is still significant.
    How do you know this? It seems you are guessing they get it for the exact same price.

I can buy bottles of heineken for 75cent, a publican here posted he pays €1.46 to his supplier, and that was possibly excluding vat. So is he ripping me off if he charges over double what I pay.

I would expect to pay more for an Irish edition DVD than a 'worldwide one' which people like cdwow seem to sell. i.e. one with the Irish film board sticker on it, this is a way to control pricing in regions where the market is willing to pay more -maybe the can overlabel themselves, not sure.

Never claimed they did, and the markup is still significant.

Much as HMV can be a joke for pricing I really don't see the issue here. How do you know the mark up is significant? Do you know the cost from the wholesaler? I worked in a small record store a few years back and when doing the weekly order would be unable to get in a number of albums I wanted for the shop as there was no way we could sell them and make a profit. As it stood we were all ready selling chart albums at a loss in order to compete with Tesco and Heatons and much as I'd have loved to stock more Porcupine Tree and Ulver it simply wasn't possible, I still get the emails from the wholesaler and the recent Ulver DVD would cost 16.95 to get in. Add on tax and you'd need to be selling it for 23-25 euro in store

• Advertisement
Advertisement