Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving back to Dublin

Options
  • 26-10-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So, looking for some advice here.

I'm a Dub born and bred, moved to the US 10 years ago and am thinking of moving back home. Life is great in US, I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the States, weather is fantastic, work for myself, good living etc......but.....as nice as the americans are, they're not irish, i miss the craic, the banter and just the general easy going way of life back home, so now I'm seriously thinking of making the move.

Concerns are : It seems all my friends have emigrated so I'd be going from a place here where I know everybody back to Dublin where I wouldn't know many people. The weather in Dublin is not the best.. Am I waxing lyrical too much or is life in Dublin good ? Love going to the footy matches, a few pints, cheap flights around Europe etc.

I go home 4 times a year, so I'm home quite a bit.

Would be going home as 35 year old single guy, it's easy to meet girls here, especially with the auld accent but haven't been single in Dublin in nearly 15 years so how is that scene ?

I know this is a bit generic but would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

I'd seriously think twice about coming back home, a lot has changed in the past decade. By all means come back for a holiday and have a good look for prospects but the grass isn't always greener on the otherside!

I'd second the notion of coming back for a holiday. You're 35, going through a divorce. Might be a tad drastic to pack it all in over there without visiting the place first

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Agree with the first response. You'd be giving up alot to come back to a city you don't know anymore. Come back for a couple of weeks holiday and do some soul searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I think the key thing here is work, do you have work here? Can you just transfer your company from the US to Ireland? If you have no guarantee of work here then I wouldn't even consider it.

I moved back to Ireland and to Dublin for the first time after years of working and living in the UK. I had a permanent job here before I moved and luckily knew a handful of people in Dublin through a theatre summer school I'd attended. That was enough to get me on my feet. I can whole heartedly say I've never regretted coming home, never underestimate the pull of the country on your heartstrings.

As for the single scene, it depends on how you like to meet people. There are plenty of single women out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Come back for a holiday op you are waxing lyrical and need to take off your rose tinted shades

I love my city but its become so violent, work is hard to come by everything is overpriced and apts are shoe boxes

It's great to come home for a couple of wks you only hear and see the good things and don't have to get bogged down with the drudgery of life now

Your doing well for yourself over there don't blow it by coming back here to nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hmmm, I think it's all about weighing up what's important to you and what's not. What elements defined within the whole quality of life list matter to you most? Low taxes? Good climate? Are you willing to pay big rent for a small place? Close proximity to family? Good healthcare? Cheap eateries?

I LOVE Dublin, it's my home, but I wouldn't get overly sentimental about the place either. Can you take a sabattical of three months and come home and maybe suss it out? Everywhere is fun and amazing when you're visiting for 2/3 weeks at a time but the reality can be often different. You haven't lived in Dublin since 1997 and thank goodness the place has progressed so much since but it's often not until you're at the coal face of a place that you really get a feel for it!

If you can, suss out job opportunities and take some time out before committing to a decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

dubinus wrote: »
    So, looking for some advice here.

I'm a Dub born and bred, moved to the US 10 years ago and am thinking of moving back home. Life is great in US, I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the States, weather is fantastic, work for myself, good living etc......but.....as nice as the americans are, they're not irish, i miss the craic, the banter and just the general easy going way of life back home, so now I'm seriously thinking of making the move.

Concerns are : It seems all my friends have emigrated so I'd be going from a place here where I know everybody back to Dublin where I wouldn't know many people. The weather in Dublin is not the best.. Am I waxing lyrical too much or is life in Dublin good ? Love going to the footy matches, a few pints, cheap flights around Europe etc.

I go home 4 times a year, so I'm home quite a bit.

Would be going home as 35 year old single guy, it's easy to meet girls here, especially with the auld accent but haven't been single in Dublin in nearly 15 years so how is that scene ?

I know this is a bit generic but would appreciate any words of wisdom.

I left Dublin to move to Mayo.......stay where you are, Dublin is now full of Skangers and those who have An unfounded sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

It sounds like you have been back quite frequently. And dublin is definatley still a vibrant and happening place. Where you live sounds lovely but surface attraction wears thin and missing out on the stuff that means something to you will weigh heavy on you in time. Yes rent prices are still quite high, but so are wages. If you can get a job that pays well and enables the life YOU want, then go for it. For every 10 people eligible to work in Dublin, 9 of them have full time jobs...it aint spain or greece. Infact, its no different than the uk. So dont be feared by the overly negative bad press. Work with facts. If you can get a job take it, if you cant stay in the US. But remember that your gut instinct is rarely wrong and if the move feels right to you, it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

hiram wrote: »
    I left Dublin to move to Mayo.......stay where you are, Dublin is now full of Skangers and those who have An unfounded sense of entitlement.

On mobile *insert rolleyes smiley here*

Advertisement