Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Music from the last ten years?

Options
  • 26-10-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

I don't know what the problem is but i can't really think of any really really great music from the past decade or so! I've narrowed it down to three possibilities.

1. It's been a **** few years for music.

2. I just haven't kept up with what's been happening.

3. Music is never as good as when you were young (I heard some sciencey theory about this lately).

I welcome any thoughts on these little theories of mine, with suggestions for great music to check out very, very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I could recommend some music for you to listen to, but I'd have to know what you're into (mainly) and what in your opinion constitutes really, really good music.

There's so much to choose from, and there's so much that's only going forward if you're willing to look beyond the mainstream of any genre whether it be rock, classical, electronica etc.

If you need great Hip Hop you have Death Grips, with their alternative approach to recording and producing music within that vein, they also have a fantastic drummer, and they're not that difficult to get into when you hear the drumming intro to Get Got (the first song off a recent album - The Money Store).

If you like electronic music, I'd recommend something like Hot Chip, Jape, Le Galaxie but then it does depend what you're into.

Then in rock you have local talent like the Minutes. Bands like Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Death Cab For Cutie and Radiohead have also been able to change the direction of a traditional style rock band by playing unconventional instruments, and embracing the wider range of genres to enhance their music.

Pioneering bands of the past have also done a wealth of investment to recent developments in music when you look at Leonard Cohen, and the (reunited) Beach Boys who both released fantastic albums earlier this year, so don't completely rule them out only looking for young acts.

Do give us an idea of what you look for in music OP, its always daunting looking for new music, but you will reap in the rewards of your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I don't know what the problem is but i can't really think of any really really great music from the past decade or so! I've narrowed it down to three possibilities.

1. It's been a **** few years for music.

2. I just haven't kept up with what's been happening.

3. Music is never as good as when you were young (I heard some sciencey theory about this lately).

I welcome any thoughts on these little theories of mine, with suggestions for great music to check out very, very welcome!

The answer is 2 and 3 but mainly 3.

If you start looking for "really really great" music you are probably going down the Eamonn Dunphy - he's a good player not a great player" route and you will never be happy.

Some of the new music that I have got excited about personally in the last 10 years would be Damien Dempsey, Kila and the Killers. But that's totally random and personal.

Look harder is the answer - You tube is your oyster - look at the list of bands at any random festival and check them out on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Thanks there's a few bands there that i'll check out but of the acts that i know there i wouldn't consider any of them really, really great. It's like the eamon dunphy he's a good player not a great player thing. I wouldn't consider arcade fire, jape, hot chip great, very good yes but not great.

Every decade has produced some really outstanding albums. I could name ten off the top of my head from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's but i'd really struggle from the last ten years.

Where there has been really good music it tends to have been from acts that were established or coming from a late 90's scene. Radiohead's latest album is supposedly a real return to form but i'd still consider them a nineties band. I'm into a really wide variety of music and would consider myself a big music fan but i seem to have lost touch lately.

Every time i go looking for new music i seem to be attracted more to older music! I don't know if it's a thing that music has become more genrified and because im not hugely into any one genre im getting left behind or has the quality just dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 OisinS94

I like Muse, Lana Del Rey, Foo Fighters and Slipknot over the past ten years.

Although, i agree it's been quite a poor era for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The bulk of Ryan Adams solo career is worth a mention imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

This is totally random but check out this guy - Sivert Hoyem. He is pretty good - maybe he will be great :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adbHh9irD2I&feature=relatedhttp://

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Here's the 00's covered for you, there's some great albums on this list:

Rate Your Music Top Albums From 2000s

It's still a bit too early to determine the best albums from this current decade.

wow sierra wrote: »
    If you start looking for "really really great" music you are probably going down the Eamonn Dunphy - he's a good player not a great player" route and you will never be happy.

Actually it's funny i'd said the dunphy thing before i read your post. AARGH am i turning into dunphy
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    Here's the 00's covered for you, there's some great albums on this list:

Rate Your Music Top Albums From 2000s

It's still a bit too early to determine the best albums from this current decade.

Ok there's some great music there but it's still coming mostly from the very early years of that decade or from 90's bands.

I don't think a top ten of the past ten years comes anywhere close to a top ten of the sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties and as a music fan i find that very worrying.

I have tried to find music i like but if i turn on an alternative radio show I just find a lot of the more recent stuff to be either very derivative or just awful hipster tripe. There's a lot of electronic music that sound's technically very accomplished but lacks any great musicality (even though i heard the drive soundtrack lately and thought some of the stuff on that was really good).

The singer songwriter scene is dead, i've heard there's some good hip-hop stuff but anything i hear on the radio just seems to be the commercial ****e.

I know there's always been overhyped music and there sure was a lot of it there in the 90's aswell but there just doesn't seem to be nearly as much quality amongst it now.

I suppose I've always had the attitude that really good music will rise to the top and find it's way roughly in my direction. But that's not happening so where do i start looking, if it is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Some of my favourite albums from the last ten years:
    The End Of History - Fionn Regan
    Celebration Rock - Japandroids
    Microcastle - Deerhunter
    Lonerism - Tame Impala
    Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever - The Cribs
    Yuck - Yuck
    The Big Roar - The Joy Formidable
    Open Your Heart - The Men
    Gangs - And So I Watch You From Afar
    Becoming A Jackal - Villagers
    Takk - Sigur Ros
    Sugar For My Soul - Sweet Jane
    The Nameless - Cathy Davey
    Crazy For You - Best Coast
    Hospice - The Antlers
    Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Rodrigo Y Gabriela

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Ok there's some great music there but it's still coming mostly from the very early years of that decade or from 90's bands.

I don't think a top ten of the past ten years comes anywhere close to a top ten of the sixties, seventies, eighties, nineties and as a music fan i find that very worrying.

I have tried to find music i like but if i turn on an alternative radio show I just find a lot of the more recent stuff to be either very derivative or just awful hipster tripe. There's a lot of electronic music that sound's technically very accomplished but lacks any great musicality (even though i heard the drive soundtrack lately and thought some of the stuff on that was really good).

The singer songwriter scene is dead, i've heard there's some good hip-hop stuff but anything i hear on the radio just seems to be the commercial ****e.

I know there's always been overhyped music and there sure was a lot of it there in the 90's aswell but there just doesn't seem to be nearly as much quality amongst it now.

I suppose I've always had the attitude that really good music will rise to the top and find it's way roughly in my direction. But that's not happening so where do i start looking, if it is there?
    I've seen tons of people like you and it's getting to the point where I feel like I'm repeating myself. I guess the key to it is just to keep up with new album releases and always have an open mind about discovering new artists, instead of relying on some old favourites or certain styles. You will rarely hear great music these days when you switch on the radio. The game has changed, the internet is now THE resource for finding music you like. Look up online music magazines and music blogs, signup to websites like Last.fm and Rate Your Music and you will get heaps of music recommendations.

Then again ten years is too short a period for time to filter out all the great albums that will stand for years to come, which is why the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's are seen in a more favourable light. In another ten or twenty years time all the great music from the past ten years or so will be more noticeable because all the crap will be forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Ronan6700

Surely you can't leave out Kasabian and LCD Soundsystem. Two cracking bands that pump out some serious tunes!!

I've seen tons of people like you and it's getting to the point where I feel like I'm repeating myself. I guess the key to it is just to keep up with new album releases and always have an open mind about discovering new artists, instead of relying on some old favourites or certain styles. You will rarely hear great music these days when you switch on the radio. The game has changed, the internet is now THE resource for finding music you like. Look up online music magazines and music blogs, signup to websites like Last.fm and Rate Your Music and you will get heaps of music recommendations.

When i try to find new music now im almost always disappointed. I had a look through the list you posted earlier and so much that im familiar with is really overhyped. I mentioned arcade fire earlier as a good band because there widely considered so but to be honest i consider them very average. I got one of their albums that everyone raved about and was hugely disappointed.

Radiohead have two albums in that top ten you posted but for me their later stuff is very hit and miss and it's not that i don't get electronic music, I do, it's just quite a bit of their electronic stuff is average.

I'll put forward a counter argument to what your suggesting which is that after working so hard to find this new music online you convince yourself it's great?
    Then again ten years is too short a period for time to filter out all the great albums that will stand for years to come, which is why the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's are seen in a more favourable light. In another ten or twenty years time all the great music from the past ten years or so will be more noticeable because all the crap will be forgotten about.

I can only agree with this to a point. I know there was loads of crap music in previous decade's also. Even the late sixties which are often seen as a bit of a golden age had their fair share of tripe. Yes there has been albums before which went unrecognized for a few years, The Velvet Underground, Gram Parsons, My Bloody Valentine? but even during those years there was still amazing music that was appreciated at the time.

I'd love if in five to ten years there was all these lost classics from now discovered, brilliant the more great music the better but the standard right now is so average id be surprised.

Advertisement