Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still on old 30gb limit although new 250gb cap on lower speed ?

Options
  • 26-10-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

I've recently started using Netflix and I checked my broadband usage and I see that I'm about to go over my cap.
    I'm on the phone and broadband package, with a 3mb download speed and 30Gb cap.
    I went on the Eircom site just now and I see that the current cap for 1MB broadband is 250GB.
    I was contacted by Eircom a few months back to see if I wanted to move to a new package and I asked if I could upgrade my download cap (I was willing to pay) and was told I could not, and there was no option for a larger cap. The deal was a few quid cheaper than what I was on, so I took it.
    So am I stuck with my crappy old 30 GB cap, even though the new packages have a much better download limit ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Ring them first thing tomorrow and tell them that you want the 250gb limit tell them why and insist on it, and if they say no tell them to disconnect you right that second because your going with UPC or someone (do a little research first on limits and prices) if they tell you your contracted in tell them you going to do 1 of 2 things either 1. start a new contract on the 250 gb limit or else 2. cancel the direct debit for this contract, normally they will prefer to keep you than to see you go, If you are getting nowhere ask to speak to their manager(who normally sees the bigger picture and has the clout to do something) but take no bull sh!t from them you want the bigger limit full stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The higher cap only applies to c.300 exchanges upgraded to NGB.

The other 600+ DSL exchanges are restricted to the old capped product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

OK - but when it does a line check it says I can only get 1 MB, and if the exchange is upgraded I will get it - to me this says that this is not an NGB exchange - also this is not uncongested as it says it's "up to" 1MB down speed. Here's the blurb I get :

Up to 1Mb download speed & up to 128kbps upload speed

Why "up to"? Because you share the eircom network with other customers in your area. At certain times of the day there may be more people connected to the Internet (e.g. in the evenings) and this can slow down your broadband speed. We call this "contention rate". The speed you get also depends on factors like how far you are from your local exchange - the closer you are, the higher the speed your line can handle.

We are rolling out Next Generation Broadband (NGB) which delivers uncongested faster broadband, every time day or night.

Order 1Mb broadband today and if your exchange is upgraded to NGB, we will automatically switch you to eircom next Generation Broadband Basic for the same price.

Unlimited download allowance

With up to 1Mb broadband you have an unlimited monthly usage allowance. This is subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB per month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

deadl0ck wrote: »
    OK - but when it does a line check it says I can only get 1 MB, and if the exchange is upgraded I will get it

Yes if the exchange is upgraded you go onto an up to 8mbits package and your line will support somewhere from 512k to 2mbits same as now. You then get a 250Gb alowance.

It took eircom over 3 years to upgrade a third of their DSL capable exchanges to NGB so they should get to you within 6-7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You then get a 250Gb alowance.
    I can't see how you read that from "With up to 1Mb broadband you have an unlimited monthly usage allowance. This is subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB per month" - That is what is being offered to me.
    It is not saying that is what I will get if NGB comes - that's saying what I will get now.

Actually - following the links on the page that gave me the quoted information, gets me to here :http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/Part3.1.pdf
    I'm currently on "Broadband Home Plus" and according to the pricing document linked above actually says I have "unlimited". (The NGB is priced on page 2)
    So I guess they have changed their limits as the document says effective from 19/10/12

• Advertisement
Advertisement