Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on gaggia

• 26-10-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi was hopeing somone would be able to give me some advice im looking to get my gf a coffee machine as she loves her coffee and has always wanted a gaggia machine.i found a Gaggia Classic RI8161 on the net for around 250 is this a good entry level machine ive seen cheaper machines but from reviews ive read the classic is the one to go for id just like to get a second opinion before i go spending all that money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I posted a very similar thread to you a couple of months back and was advised to go for the gaggia classic, which I did. No regrets,
    in fact the coffee is so much better than any of the shops downtown that I have to drink tea in them. Its a bit noisy but I've used it at least three times a day since i got it, so its well worth the price. I bought a burr grinder (delonghi) off amazon for about €40 which was affordable and does a grand job. There are other way more expensive grinders out there but I'm happy enough with this one. Also I started getting my beans from that market at the back of the film centre on Eustace st of a Saturday. The classic has been knocking around for about 30 years(i think) which says a lot for it in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pmcf

Thanks eoing1 for the quick reply sounds like i picked the right machine,if you dont mind me asking did you buy your machine online ? id prefer to buy it from an actualy shop if i could but trying to find anywhere near me that actually sells them seems impossible i thought for such good machines it would be easy to find stockist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I got it from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000C72XS/ref=wms_ohs_product which I found to be considerably cheaper than in a bricks and mortar shop. Only took about 4 days too. Just realised your in Donegal, there are shops in Dublin selling them alright, I think theres one in the Dundrum towncentre but they/re a rip off. Definitely get one online. Besides we don't like you Donegal heads comin up to Dublin taking our things haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 chevy

Bought a gaggia baby dose recently from watermark in city west. It makes a super coffee. They are the main dealers for gaggia in ireland so you can get what you want there.

http://gaggia.ie/machine/gaggia-new-baby-dose/

eoing1 wrote: »
    I got it from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000C72XS/ref=wms_ohs_product which I found to be considerably cheaper than in a bricks and mortar shop. Only took about 4 days too. Just realised your in Donegal, there are shops in Dublin selling them alright, I think theres one in the Dundrum towncentre but they/re a rip off. Definitely get one online. Besides we don't like you Donegal heads comin up to Dublin taking our things haha

Ah ere leave it out eoin us doneagl heads arent the worst lol :p.you are right about the prices think ill just stick to amazon they seem cheapest if you can call gaggia machine cheap lol.

thanks for the link chevy but think ill give amazon try for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Make sure you buy a decent grinder too, no point buying a nice machine and not being able to have a consistent grind for it.
    http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine/getagrinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

PPC wrote: »
    Make sure you buy a decent grinder too, no point buying a nice machine and not being able to have a consistent grind for it.
    http://coffeegeek.com/guides/howtobuyanespressomachine/getagrinder

Felt I had to reply here. If you buy a gaggia classic and dont buy and Gaggia MDF grinder or something better your disappointing yourself.

I learnt this the hard way by buyin cheap grinders.

1st priority Grinder. 2nd priority machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Please, please listen to the grinder advice... The cheapest, most basic grinder you should be considering for espresso is the Baraza Virtuoso. It's in or around the 200 euro mark generally. As with everything - especially coffee equipment - the sky is the limit thereafter.

llatsni wrote: »
    Please, please listen to the grinder advice... The cheapest, most basic grinder you should be considering for espresso is the Baraza Virtuoso. It's in or around the 200 euro mark generally. As with everything - especially coffee equipment - the sky is the limit thereafter.

I didnt know about this grinder when I bought mine...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81191096#post81191096

But I have to say for me the Gaggia MDF grinder has been superb so far and thats without any modifications.

And at €175 its slightly cheaper.

Is the Baraza €25 better? Whats the differences can anyone tell me just out of curiosity to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I have one and i think it has more settings also it has no doser. Its very simple to go from expresso to french press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

@murphyebass: There's not a lot in it really. Both are good value entry level grinders. Personally I think the Virtuoso is a bit nicer looking. I actually went from an MDF to an Iberital because for some odd reason my MDF was very very slow, turned out the Iberital was more annoying in different ways, so eventually I went for a Vario. Best decision ever.

thanks for the advice guys she has a grinder already but im not sure what type it is,the machine is all i can afford to get her for the min but im sure she will get a new grinder once she sees that she got a gaggia for xmas.

pmcf wrote: »
    thanks for the advice guys she has a grinder already but im not sure what type it is,the machine is all i can afford to get her for the min but im sure she will get a new grinder once she sees that she got a gaggia for xmas.

Check what grinder she has. It could be a blade grinder which really is not for espresso as it can't grind fine enough.

Having gone years withthe wrong/cheap grinder I'm tellin u getting that right is no 1 priority. That's were the budget should go. Couple it with aeropress if u have to at first machine then later.

Advertisement