Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with noisy neighbour

Options
  • 26-10-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

hey guys

so we moved in 2 months ago and we soon realised that our upstairs neighbour blasted the TV especially early in the morning(weekdays & weekends) but even worse was late at night during the week 12am-1.30am. Its so loud you can hear exactly what is being said.

We tried knocking loudly on a number of occasions but got no answer. We wrote a note and put in his letter box. In the mean time I ran into his daughter in the hall and she explained he was 89 and quite deaf and he should be wearing his hearing aid. She apologised and said she would talk to him

It quietened down a bit in the last few weeks but its gone back up again.
    I hear another neighbour banging on his door yesterday repeatedly but to no avail and I presume it was over the noise but can't be certain.

Should I write another note or just contact the management company?
    As its getting ridiculous at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Could you try and speak to the daughter again?
    at least its not some one who dont give a s,,,t.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

hey nig1

I would talk to her but it was pure luck I bumped into her as she doesn't live with him-it was just as she was calling to him. She even said she had to ring his mobile to say she was there as he wouldn't hear the downstairs buzzer or if she knocked on his door!

Does he have some kind of home help?

I'm not sure if he does but I don't think he should be living on his own if he's that deaf and I saw him once before we knew it was him above us and he looks very frail!

Maybe put a kindly worded note through the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

jillyb wrote: »
    I'm not sure if he does but I don't think he should be living on his own if he's that deaf and I saw him once before we knew it was him above us and he looks very frail!
    Lots of deaf people live alone independently!!

The only thing you can do really is a note, and keep an eye out for the daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jillyb wrote: »
    She apologised and said she would talk to him

It quietened down a bit in the last few weeks but its gone back up again.
    Sounds like the poor bastards hearing aid batteries have gone. If you want, buy him a pair of headphones that cover his ears completely, that have a very long cable. Get a decent pair that will last, or you'll be hearing the TV in a few weeks time.

Finally, depending on his deafness, he may not hear the solid thumping sound, but may hear a shrill sound such as a whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If he's that old maybe popping in for a cup of tea might be the best way to go about things, the batteries could well be gone in his hearing aid alright.

Bit of a win win if you ask me,

1- You can address the noise issue
    2- You get the good feeling of looking after an elderly neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I'd pop in and have a chat with him. Poor old fella might appreciate you introducing yourself personally. Explain the situation - he may well just have no idea that it's that bothersome to the neighbors.
    You could either show him on the TV which bar on the volume control gets too much (the remote control bars on the screen, if you know what I mean) or if you get on well, you could bring him a pair of extendable earphones to try (the ones with a super-long cord) - he can then still enjoy TV in the comfort of an armchair and you can get some peace.

EDIT: syco said the same thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

have a heart.. you too may be old and deaf too some day. you always get better results with kindness than aggression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rasmus wrote: »
    You could either show him on the TV which bar on the volume control gets too much
    No offence, but this means tiddley sh|t to a deaf person. He probably has the TV at full volume just so that he can hear the TV; which may not be that load to him at all.
    Rasmus wrote: »
    if you get on well, you could bring him a pair of extendable earphones to try (the ones with a super-long cord) - he can then still enjoy TV in the comfort of an armchair and you can get some peace.

EDIT: syco said the same thing!!
    Aye, with headphones, he'll be hear the TV at full blast without having to sit right next to it, but no-one will hear him. And be nice about it; or he could just say "f**k you" and your only other option will be to move.

hey thanks for the replies

Don't get me wrong. My grandfather lives alone and we all make the effort to call to him/invite him around as it can be lonely. I'd say the neighbour would love the company. In the beginning we didn't know who lived there and we tried knocking to speak to him nicely about it but we never got to talk to him as he never answered.Guess he couldnt hear us.

When i spoke to the daughter she explained his situation & we had already left a note. It would be great if we could get a chance to speak to him about it over a cuppa but we have never gotten the chance!

ps we do have two set of headphones with a very long cable and i would gladly give him a set :)

Advertisement