Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place to learn c++

Options
  • 26-10-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

hi folks,could anyone recommend a course provider in the midwest region for learning c++??i would also consider an online course but something with an award/cert would be better imo.bearing in mind i have no previous experience of programming,however i need same for a job that i have a very good chance of getting,any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

bearing in mind i have no previous experience of programming[/QyUOTE]

I would say forget C++ then. It's a difficult language for most programmers. You really need to know what you are doing to get anywhere with it.

It's not really comparable to Java or C# programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

what would be a good language to start with??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

daludo wrote: »
    what would be a good language to start with??

C#, Java, Vb.net

As previously mentioned c++ is a nightmare compared to the above.

What sort of development are you looking to get involved in? Web based, pc applications, mobile apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

to be honest the job im a shoe in for is more engineering/manufacturing orientated and c++ is the language used there.i really just need to understand the basics as its not the most vital part of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

daludo wrote: »
    to be honest the job im a shoe in for is more engineering/manufacturing orientated and c++ is the language used there.i really just need to understand the basics as its not the most vital part of the job.

Best bet ,maybe to do some online tutorials to learn the basics and see how you get on from there.

Plenty of tutorials to choose from, Google will be your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mobyfitz20

http://thenewboston.org/

very good. i used it for college last year and it was very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0201700735/

It will give you a good introduction to C++ and is written by Bjarne Stroustrup, the language's creator.

C++ isn't that scary, at least if you're avoiding templates. You just have to be aware of things you allocate and how pointers work. Don't let the above posts frighten you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

C++ was the first language taught to me in 2 different colleges. IMO I think its more important to learn basics in c/c++ first before learning higher level languages like c#/java and the even higher level scripting languages like perl/python/ruby as it teaches you the fundamentals of programming at a closer level to the OS and even the hardware it runs on. Alot of higher level languages will automatically do things for you, in c, you will learn why these things need to be done, in other languages they will be transparent to you.

In higher level languages, either their VM or interpreter are wrote in c/c++ at the end of the day.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/143820/i-can-learn-either-c-or-java-which-one-should-i-choose-first-should-i-take-the

Advertisement