Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows says No LAN Cable Connected - There is.

Options
  • 26-10-2012 11:36pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Curious one. In a small shop they have a number of computers connected to a switch upstairs. In the past few days it has lost connectivity stating that there is no LAN cable connected - even when there is. The Ethernet cable is connected fine, between the computer and the wall plate. It works for a time when the PC is rebooted, or the cable in the back of the computer is plugged out and back in again.

There old Dell Optiplex machines that are very slow to work on, which is a pain, but I assume its either the network drivers on the PC/faulty network component or faulty cable? If each of those are ruled out, could the wiring that's fed through the wall to the switch upstairs be at fault also?

It appears that every other computer connected to the switch are fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

This sounds very likely to be a faulty port on the switch. Try swap for a different port and let us know the outcome.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Are the correct drivers installed?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I changed the cable between the wall and the PC and re-installed the driver, so we will see how that gets on.

The cable that was being used and the new one doesn't fit with ease into the wall socket though, needed a bit of a push to fit into the socket and the wall plate needed to be screwed off. Might be normal though, its not an area I have worked on before.

Advertisement