Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please - my rental is on daft.ie as a ready to walk into

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

OP based on your first post, I was going to agree that the landlord may be testing the waters, with a view to selling in the future, and this might be a prudent move on their part.

However, there is a world of difference between 1-2 discreet private viewings at the occupier's convenience, and an open viewing at short notice. While this may have been the agent's idea, regardless this is wholly inappropriate in the circumstances, without discussing his/her plans with you in advance. It also indicates that the landlord may be doing more than just testing the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

djimi wrote: »
    Im a tenant, have never been a landlord!

There is nothing in law that I am aware of that says that a landlord must inform a tenant of their intentions to sell the property (I may be wrong about that but Ive never come across anything). If the property is on the market for months on end with no interest in it then there is no reason to inform the tenant really. It would be polite to do so,

And there you have it.
    There is nothing in law, but it is the decent and polite thing to do to let your sitting tenants know what you are doing with "their home".
    So far from reading the OP's posts the landlord hasn't any idea about being polite or decent.
    He as I said above, he is under the same impression that a lot of our Irish landlords are under, that they can come and go as they please because it is "their" house.
    Its far from an ideal situation, but its one that can happen when you are renting. Its easiest to try and find a solution that works best for both parties, rather than digging your heals in and probably ending up getting told to leave.

That would be the ideal, but by the looks of it the landlord just sees it as is house to do with as he likes, even though someone is paying to use it as their home.
    Doom wrote: »
    To add to the info, we are renting the house unfurnished too, all items in the house are ours.

And this raises the stakes.
    In that case there is no bloody way I would allow anyone in unwatched.
    The agent won't give a damm and is representing the landlord and not your property i.e. the contents.
    Doom wrote: »
    The landlord and us agreed to one viewing at short notice, then he wanted another with four days notice and never told us it was an open viewing, we also found this out from daft.ie

This is pulling the pi**.
    There is no way that I would allow an open viewing.
    How would he like it if a bunch of strangers were foisted upon him at short notice and were allowed go through his home and gawk at his belongings ?

Maybe time to remind the landlord of a few things as djimi mentions below.

Also I think it is time to look for somewhere else as landlord will probably get the hump and start acting even more of a spanner.
    The best medicine a guy like this can get is to see how he likes it when he hasn't any rental income coming in for a few months while he tries to find a buyer.
    An open viewing is completely out of order. Tell him where he can shove that idea.

A gentle reminder of his obligations and your rights sounds like it might be in order. It's one thing coming to an agreement about occasional viewings but this guy sounds like he simply doesn't care that you live there. Maybe remind him that there is a law in place that says he is not to infringe on your right to peaceful enjoyment of the property that you are renting from the him.

I think you are finally getting the idea.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

jmayo wrote: »
    And there you have it.
    There is nothing in law, but it is the decent and polite thing to do to let your sitting tenants know what you are doing with "their home".
    So far from reading the OP's posts the landlord hasn't any idea about being polite or decent.
    He as I said above, he is under the same impression that a lot of our Irish landlords are under, that they can come and go as they please because it is "their" house.

The OP is not a sitting tenant; they can and will be asked to leave the property as soon as a buyer is found.

Im not disagreeing with you that the landlord is acting like a dick and showing very little consideration, but as things stand he is doing very little that is actually breaking the law. Im not trying to defend him and I dont agree with his actions, but that doesnt change the legal situation. So far he hasnt actually shown up with a potential buyer demanding to be let in, and he hasnt actually carried out anything that has been advertised. He didnt even hassle the OP to look for a viewing until the OP brought it up first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to stick to my guns on what I've said in an email to the landlord, it was firm but fair, he was not up front with us and this is how its all gone sour.
    I may have annoyed him by this and he may well give us our notice...it probably was gonna happen anyway. At least I will not have strangers in my home!

And he'll have to fork out for furniture if he cannot sell it.......

The OP is not a sitting tenant; they can and will be asked to leave the property as soon as a buyer is found.

Im not disagreeing with you that the landlord is acting like a dick and showing very little consideration, but as things stand he is doing very little that is actually breaking the law. Im not trying to defend him and I dont agree with his actions, but that doesnt change the legal situation. So far he hasnt actually shown up with a potential buyer demanding to be let in, and he hasnt actually carried out anything that has been advertised. He didnt even hassle the OP to look for a viewing until the OP brought it up first.

Wrong, landlord asked for viewings 1st....see post no.12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The landlord sounds like a bit of an orsehorle, so if you're not at home, ask one of the neighbours who you trust to keep an eye on it, in case the landlord brings over anyone whilst he thinks you're not at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Im not disagreeing with you that the landlord is acting like a dick and showing very little consideration, but as things stand he is doing very little that is actually breaking the law. Im not trying to defend him and I dont agree with his actions, but that doesnt change the legal situation...

I hate that argument that they are doing nothing illegal even when they are pi**ing all over someone.
    It would be nice if they showed a bit of consideration and it would more likely they would get some in return.

That argument has been one that our politicans have a bad habit of resorting to when caught doing something unethical and immoral.
    the_syco wrote: »
    The landlord sounds like a bit of an orsehorle, so if you're not at home, ask one of the neighbours who you trust to keep an eye on it, in case the landlord brings over anyone whilst he thinks you're not at home.

I wouldn't put it past this guy.

Would that not be a case for dragging the landlord into court ?
    After all the contents of the house are the tenants and would exposing them to a third party without the tenants knowledge not constitute a risk to the tenants property ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP, have you spoken to Threshold about this? I think they would be very interested in what's going on. I would also look to the PRTB for advice too.

OP, have you spoken to Threshold about this? I think they would be very interested in what's going on. I would also look to the PRTB for advice too.

I'll see what develops, it will be my next port of call if its get bad.....hopefully not. Thanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

It's cheap enough to change the locks on your house. It's always a good idea to do so when you move house as you never know who has a key. Not strictly allowable without the landlords permission but its the far lesser sin than somebody trespassing without your consent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

beaner88 wrote: »
    It's cheap enough to change the locks on your house. It's always a good idea to do so when you move house as you never know who has a key. Not strictly allowable without the landlords permission but its the far lesser sin than somebody trespassing without your consent.

wouldn't go as far as that. the OP is just putting himself in the wrong first with doing this.

as little as I like this mistrust and enforcing it, but there was a thread some time ago where the tenant put up kind of a video/camera advice on his laptop, so this camera on the laptop was recording, but without any visibility.
    sure the landlord did the thing and entered the property whith the tenant not at home and was recorded from the camera on the laptop.

just to show you this possibility.
    I feel sorry for you, it's your home and just awful living in this situation never being sure what the LL is up to next.

Advertisement