Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Smartglass Android app out now

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

hightower1 wrote: »
    So , this has been out for a bit now. TBH its very very similar to the xbox companion app I had on my windows phone till I got rid of it. I used that once or twice as I found no need for it. Im interested how everyone here is finding it? Do you use it and if so how often, do you use it at all?

I have it on windows 8 and on my tablet, to be honest I have no real use for it in it's current form, I have no need to remote control my xbox with it as I have a media remote that is far less fiddly. Until they add the bells and whistles that interact with games it's pretty much an info tool.

The biggest criticism I have with it is you can't see your friends list either in windows or the tablet app, which you could in the xbox companion one. EDIT: Just looked more closely seems you can do that on the tablet app and send messages etc , looks like a visit to spec savers is on the cards for me :D

And on the windows 8 xbox app you can see friends but not message them from it which is totally useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kxiii wrote: »
    Yeh you have to be signed in on both phone and xbox and on the same wifi network.

You don't need to be on the same wifi network at all, just works better if you are.

Overall I find Smart Glass in it's current form completely useless, cool but useless. Even if they do add in game support, what are going to do, pause the game while you glance at your phone and back? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Overall I find Smart Glass in it's current form completely useless, cool but useless. Even if they do add in game support, what are going to do, pause the game while you glance at your phone and back? I think not.

True. SmartGlass in it's current form is just the Companion App. When the bells and whistles come along, it'll be meant to be like a Wii U controller (e.g. imagine a Map on your device instead of on screen, a Motion Tracker in an Alien game, etc.)

The only thing is that MS do not seem to be helping developers integrate it into games. It may wither on the vine, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Forza horizon already has in-game support, it works as a gps and you can set waypoints on the map using it

ShaneU wrote: »
    Forza horizon already has in-game support, it works as a gps and you can set waypoints on the map using it

Have you tried it ? From what i gather it doesn't work in EU/ with pal copies of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I don't have forza horizon.

The app is available on iOs now https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbox-smartglass/id480914036?mt=8

Maybe a mod could edit that into the title?

The app is available on iOs now https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbox-smartglass/id480914036?mt=8

Oh I know the app is out I have it, but what I'm saying is the fancy bells and whistles in Forza like the gps on the phone/tablet don't work over here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks - it's actually quite decent for IE. We'll have to wait, because I thought that Halo 4 was going to support this as well - but I haven't got that (or heard anyone who has tried it).

Advertisement