Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglaries-BEWARE

Options
  • 26-10-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    Our gaff and a number of others were burgled in douglas tonight.Lock up yer gaffs and be vigilant.Scummy feckers out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

shezer wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    Our gaff and a number of others were burgled in douglas tonight.Lock up yer gaffs and be vigilant.Scummy feckers out there.

hey sorry to hear. where in douglas this happen? resident here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Shamrock Lawn

Shamrock Lawn

jesus im only round corner. there was a GAA disco tonight. tonnes of youths around by shamrock lawn and all down towards the GAA club.

I wouldn't speculate as to who did it but there has been a lot of callers to our doors in the last few days.Shady characters around as well.3 that we know of were just done this evening

well that sucks man and i really hope they catch the horrible ****ers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

bastards.. Hope ye are all ok... some people have no shame

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

bizz213 wrote: »
    jesus im only round corner. there was a GAA disco tonight. tonnes of youths around by shamrock lawn and all down towards the GAA club.

No surprise a load of Gah knacks are responsible for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

The house i'm renting in Wilton was robbed early September, they stole and burned my car the w*nkers..

Think 5/6 houses in my estate were done that night..

Seemingly they are doing the rounds..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    The house i'm renting in Wilton was robbed early September, they stole and burned my car the w*nkers..

Think 5/6 houses in my estate were done that night..

Seemingly they are doing the rounds..

Eeek! What part of Wilton are you in?

The poor family next to us.The mother passed away and they took all the jewellery she left for the family....How scummy is that.I'd rather have our house robbed again than have that family go through that.Whatever about cash and electronics but Items of sentimental value is pure scummy...Your robbing peoples memories there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The poor family next to us.The mother passed away and they took all the jewellery she left for the family....How scummy is that.I'd rather have our house robbed again than have that family go through that.Whatever about cash and electronics but Items of sentimental value is pure scummy...Your robbing peoples memories there
    That's thats terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

From my mother's bitter experience I want to urge people to photograph their valuables - particularly jewelery whose receipts may be long lost.

A proper valuation and good security is obviously a good idea too. But if the worst happens photographs will be very helpful - and you can do it now! It will only take a half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Eeek! What part of Wilton are you in?

Cardinal court!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hi lads,

Really sorry to hear that. It happened to us three years ago - we were robbed blind while we (myself, my hubby and our 2 kids) slept in our beds. We were going on hols a few days later and they used our cases/bags to take everything. Since then we got a dog an alarm and infrared security cameras front and back. It's the worst feeling, I hope they catch them and that you get your stuff back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That's just down right scummy is what that is :mad: ******* lowlifes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Just a word of advice to you all, I am in the intruder alarm business and have been for the last 21 years. The mid ninetees were bad, but I have never experienced as many burglaries as these days.

I appeal to you all out there, even if you have an alarm system NOT To expose anything within the house which willl draw these scum bags to your house. I have noticed now that if the prize is good enough they are still having a go, alarm or not.

So obviously if you have one make sure and turn it on, if at all possible please consider getting it monitored, an alarm is only as good as the response it gets.

I could sit here for the night writing about some of the break in's which we have experienced in the last few months, but I won't with respect to the victims, so please mind your stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Kub, we have an alarm fitted, and in use. And there is the most jumpy and loudest barking dog alive next door. Just wondering though, are these burglaries taking place by day or by night? We are almost moved out, with evrything we own in secure storage, so there is feck all to be stolen from our house. If there was a break in during the day, they would get a few cardboard boxes, and our clothes. Even our vehicles wouldn't be worth much if we were there in the night. but I would be terrified if there was a break-in when the family was in.

So, night or day worse?

And what kind of thing do you mean by exposed? Car keys or wallet is it?

pwurple wrote: »
    Kub, we have an alarm fitted, and in use. And there is the most jumpy and loudest barking dog alive next door. Just wondering though, are these burglaries taking place by day or by night? We are almost moved out, with evrything we own in secure storage, so there is feck all to be stolen from our house. If there was a break in during the day, they would get a few cardboard boxes, and our clothes. Even our vehicles wouldn't be worth much if we were there in the night. but I would be terrified if there was a break-in when the family was in.

So, night or day worse?

And what kind of thing do you mean by exposed? Car keys or wallet is it?

Dogs are a good detterent, especially when the dog can wrap his teeth around the scum bags ankles :D.

So you are in the process of moving out? Is your insurance company aware that the house is no longer full time occupied? All they want these days is an excuse to walk in the event of a claim so please be aware of this.

Of late they appear to be happening more during the day than night, but this depends on the gang and also bear in mind the short days as of today.

What I mean by not leaving stuff exposed is things like, laptops and other electronic devices even playstations. Obviously jewellery, but the one thing a lot of women seem to do is leave their handbags either hanging off the bannister in the hall or else on the kitchen table or work top. The simplist thing which I advise people to do is to pull the blinds or curtains, they won't be too quick to come in if they cannot see the prize.
    Also donm't leave keys in the lock on the inside of external doors, it is very easy to break the glass, reach in and turn the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Orizio wrote: »
    No surprise a load of Gah knacks are responsible for this.

Yeah, because "gah knacks" as you call them, are famous for their burglary skills.

You don't have to be a GAA player to attend a GAA disco.
    Have you ever been to Con disco?
    Are the kids who go there all "Rugby knacks"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

cork_south wrote: »
    Yeah, because "gah knacks" as you call them, are famous for their burglary skills.

You don't have to be a GAA player to attend a GAA disco.
    Have you ever been to Con disco?
    Are the kids who go there all "Rugby knacks"?

Is there typically burglaries when these rugby chaps conglomerate for a party...? Of course not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Orizio wrote: »
    Is there typically burglaries when these rugby chaps conglomerate for a party...? Of course not.

I think you are missing my point.

Cork Con discos are usually not frequented by Rugby players.
    IE you don't have to play Rugby to attend their discos.
    Likewise with discos at GAA clubs.

You may not have got out much as a child if you can't understand how teen discos work.

And by the way, the next time you want to blame a group of teens who are out having a bit of fun in this depressing country, you might want to phone a friend first.
    There have been a spate of burglaries on the south side the last couple of months and trust me when I tell you it's not being done by teens attending any discos.
    http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211494&page=2

http://www.douglaspost.ie/2012/10/18/ballinlough-burglaries/

http://www.thejournal.ie/watch-out-gardai-warn-public-about-bogus-traders-in-cork-510327-Jul2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Im living in the Douglas area and I would be a bit worried about all the burglaries, especially with small children in the house who would be asleep and if one of the creeps got into their room.

To those who have been burgled, how did the intruders get into the house? Did they pick a lock, jemmy open a window or force a door?
    I would be very conscious of doors and windows and I would always make sure everything is locked.

Do these scum bags actually break glass to gain entry? Or were you lax in the security area and left a window or door unlocked?

As a teenager back in the 80s my family home was burgled but they got in because a window was left open so I learnt my lesson about security from that time. But if the thieves are able to jemmy open doors then it’s a lot tougher to deter them.

The_Banker wrote: »
    Im living in the Douglas area and I would be a bit worried about all the burglaries, especially with small children in the house who would be asleep and if one of the creeps got into their room.

To those who have been burgled, how did the intruders get into the house? Did they pick a lock, jemmy open a window or force a door?
    I would be very conscious of doors and windows and I would always make sure everything is locked.

Do these scum bags actually break glass to gain entry? Or were you lax in the security area and left a window or door unlocked?

As a teenager back in the 80s my family home was burgled but they got in because a window was left open so I learnt my lesson about security from that time. But if the thieves are able to jemmy open doors then it’s a lot tougher to deter them.

In through our front door using a big screw driver as door had wooden frame.They got in the neighbours window.They open the back door as an extra escape route.Usually call when your not there.Knock on your door first.

The neighbours and ourselves had all windows and doors locked.Upstairs was ransacked by the scum.They go straight for money,jewellery and expensive small electronics(mobile phones and ipods or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

They are know to look at death notices and go around when the funeral is on, or else case the house and in a few weeks go and rob it, knowing that nobody is no longer living there.

So you should always keep someone in the house if possible. But it seems to me they are breaking in now, even with people in the house, which is not a nice experience.

Unfortunately these scum bags may be able to read as well, just like us honest people, so lets not help them by telling them how their scummy buddies broke into other houses, just in case we give them ideas.

Being honest I have yet to come across one who is intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

two ways its being done. one is small windows being left open.

in goes a youngfella

other way and much faster. is doors that lock when they swing closed are only closed on the latch. small chisel or big flat screwdriver to spread door by the lock. quick shoulder and in. no damage no noise.

if you have one of them locks, remember the door isnt locked until you lock it with the key.

alarms help as they will still go in but will race around to be out before anyone comes looking. prob missing most stuff

dogs only help to a extent as they just get drugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Does anyone know if it is possible to set your alarm to perimeter only when you are leaving the house. We have a dog that stays in the house and would set off the alarm if it was set while we are out. We have a Secure Watch HKC alarm.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to set your alarm to perimeter only when you are leaving the house. We have a dog that stays in the house and would set off the alarm if it was set while we are out. We have a Secure Watch HKC alarm.

Hi Cork Lass, my first consideration would be, does your dog jump up on the windows and doors barking when you are out of the house? If so he could set it off.
    Then if it does go off, that poor madra will be listening to the alarm activating, that is bad enough for us humans, but even worse for our 4 legged friends considering their sensitive hearing.

It is possible, what you have to find out is, do you have any beams on your system ( these are those little white boxes with the blinking lights on when you pass them).
    So if you do, you have to find out which Zone number the beam is on, hopefully you still have the manual, if not, get someone to move around the area the beam is covering while you turn the alarm on. What should happen then is the buzzer should not come on and a message will appear on the screen. saying something like ' Open Zone(s) Z (number) Beam......

I want you to remember the number that comes up after the Z on this message.

The procedure then is;

1. Enter your code for leaving the house.
    2. Press the * Button (its just to the left of zero).
    3. The pad display will show 'Inhibit Zone/Point No.'
    4. Press in the number (as per the number you remembered above).
    5. Press the Yes button ( Middle on the Right...level with the 6 button).
    6. The pad display will show 'Z (No.) Is Inhibited'.
    7. The keypad will then buzz as normal and away you go.

When you come home and switch the system off, it will report to you that a zone has been inhibited, this is normal, nothing to worry about.

That should do the trick, if i can be of any further assistance just Pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Plenty of burglaries around Wilton/Glasheen recently I've heard, I've seen regular Gardaí patrols in the area the last couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Plenty of burglaries around Wilton/Glasheen recently I've heard, I've seen regular Gardaí patrols in the area the last couple of weeks.

At this stage any area is being targeted whether in the suburbs or outskirts of the city.

Gardai are alaways very visible this time of the year, it is a fact that there are usually more break- ins and robberies coming up to the X mas period.

Advertisement