Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposits

Options
  • 27-10-2012 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Hey lads quick question, I placed a deposit on a rifle 2 years ago, I havn't been able to licence the gun since(this is due to my own circumstances not the guards) I'm just wondering would a gun dealer honour the deposit or should I forget about it? I've since found myself in a position to licence the rifle

Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Depends on the dealer to be honest. Deposits serve two purposes. It gives you a hold on the rifle, but from the dealer's perspective, it provides a financial disincentive to stuff like that. (I know you had circumstances which prevented it, but it sucks for the dealer to have inventory taking up space that he now can't sell) However, things as they are, if the dealer hasn't sold the gun by now, since usually a deposit is contingent on an application being brought in a certain time period, he might be only too glad to honour it if it'll get him the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

did you contact the dealer in the last 2years to tell him what was going?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

I'm by no way being smart here lad, but if you went into any shop and paid a deposit on something and came back after two years looking for it back I would say they'd laugh at you at best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

I completely understand if the dealer has shifted the rifle I put a deposit on or doesn't want to honor the deposit my personal concerns aren't his business concerns!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

newby.204 wrote: »
    Hey lads quick question, I placed a deposit on a rifle 2 years ago, I havn't been able to licence the gun since(this is due to my own circumstances not the guards) I'm just wondering would a gun dealer honour the deposit or should I forget about it? I've since found myself in a position to licence the rifle

Any thoughts

Please don't consider this as being a smart reply, but why ask the question here? Shouldnt you call the dealer about this? Also when you paid the deposit did you get a receipt? Some dealers have specific receipts laying out conditions of sale regarding deposits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Unless Guards decline rifle application the dealer can keep your deposit if he wants to but he should give it back or give you it in credit for his store. Thats all I know from that. The dealer has them rights and that reguard as far as I remember. Up to him

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

if i was the dealer and kept ur gun on hold for 2 years. i dont think id be giveing u all ur deposit back. the profit on guns inst huge and if he knew he has to wait 2 years to see his few pound i dont think he would of gave u the serial number in the first place. depending on the size of the deposit id only b giveing u half back. but thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mezamo wrote: »
    I'm by no way being smart here lad, but if you went into any shop and paid a deposit on something and came back after two years looking for it back I would say they'd laugh at you at best!

Retailers who laugh at consumers might want to stop doing that. Apart from the whole "we're in a recession" thing, and the fact that in a community like ours, word of mouth is immensely powerful, there is the point that there is very strong EU-wide legal protection for consumers.

For example, did you know that you must by law be given a two-year warranty for the base price of an item? (Apple got fined heavily a while ago for trying to sell "extended" two-year warranties in the EU for their iPhones and iPads at a higher price and to only give a one-year warranty by default).

It might be worth reading this link about your rights as a consumer in Ireland, in particular this part on deposits (but note the caveats here - deposits aren't as heavily protected as other aspects of your rights are):
    Paying deposits
    A deposit is a payment made to a supplier of a product or a service by a consumer which indicates an intention to buy a product or a service. The amount of the deposit and the timing of payment of the balance are a matter between the consumer and the supplier. When you pay a deposit for goods a contract is created between you as a consumer, and the supplier of the product or service. You should be clear at the time of paying a deposit what your obligations are (e.g. when you need to pay the balance, how much each payment is etc). You should also be clear about the duties of the supplier (e.g. when the product will be available).

It is always easier to know what your rights and responsibilities are if you have details of the contract in writing, however, a verbal contract is also enforceable. If the supplier does not adhere to the terms of the contract (e.g. delivery of a product takes significantly longer than stated) you may have a right to ask for your deposit to be returned. If you pay a deposit to a supplier who, in return, holds an article for you and you change your mind about paying the balance the supplier may not in all these circumstances be obliged to return your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

I once took a 50% deposit on a special-order item - an item I would very rarely (if ever) sell under the normal run of things.

I took the deposit to ensure the guy was sure he wanted it, and because he was a new customer to me.

When it arrived about two weeks later I contacted the guy and he said he didn't want it, and 'Oh, can I have that deposit back as well?'

Now that might be considered poor form, as he didn't contact me during the two week spell to say he had changed his mind. Had he done so I might have been able to cancel the order.

But I sent him back the deposit, and stuck the (£400+) item on the shelf.

Within I'd say a month the same individual had spent in excess £1500 on the website and a few months later I got an enquiry about the original item and I had one in stock for immediate delivery. Two happy customers, one happy retailer.

Karma.

My ex-employer, a man in retail his whole life once told me 'You might lose the odd battle, but you can still win the war'

**EDIT - just noticed this was my 666th post, is that bad karma ??**

Advertisement