Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video editing on a tight budget

Options
  • 27-10-2012 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to spec a pc for a friend on as small a budget possible
    The app he uses most would be adobe premiere. He likes game but he can add a decent graphics card at a later date

Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W
    BitFenix Merc Alpha
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    Intel Core i7-3770 Box, LGA1155
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's

This comes to €512

Would he be better off with an i5 and a ssd
    Also if there any flaws with the build please point them out to me,

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hyperthreading appears to give a 15-20% boost in premiere pro, which probably makes it hard to justify the 50% price premium. I think the value option is overclocking an i5, which should gain back most if not all difference between a stock i5 and i7 in this application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

on hardwareversand.de a 3570k is €208 and a 3770k is €270 . A decent cooler is needed for the overclocking so add €30 for that. Not really anything in those two options price wise.

I'm thinking a 3450 or a 3770k because the 3450 would save enough to get a ssd but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Apologies must be mistaken thought they were around 300 when I looked a few weeks ago.

Edit: was thinking of the i7-3770k price :)

I also made a mistake by calling it the 3770k in my last post when I meant the 3770

Can't believe I didn't consider this originally (had a few superquinn beers of the world :D) but the new AMD Vischera chips bench pretty well at Adobe premiere and video editing in general.

The FX 8320 can be had for about 160 and going by previous Bulldozer overclocking results (of their relative predecessors) should be able to overclock a decent amount beyond the flagship FX 8350 at stock (and close enough to level when both are overclocked), the stock FX 8350 sits about level with an i5-3570K in Adobe Premiere performance benchmarks.

An FX8320 and motherboard combination comes to about 220 on HWVS. They are just adequate for most other tasks relative top the intel lineup but well worth considering on a tight budget especially when video is the priority. On the negative side it is left squarely in the dust in a wide variety of other tasks by the intel CPUs (still more than adequate for gaming etc, just not a world beaters).

• Advertisement

I know nothing about current amd chips so that's defiantly worth reading up on and considering. That motherboard has no hdmi connection so it would cost more to buy a graphics card :(

Advertisement