Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutrient

Options
  • 27-10-2012 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Do I need to add nutrient to a cider kit if I'm not concerned about brew time?

I'm guessing it adds more lees during primary but gives a faster (and guaranteed) ferment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Have only done wine. Nutrient would almost always be included in recipes. Yeast needs more than just sugar to perform properly and when it does perform properly it struggles and stresses less and it makes a better wine. A steady ferment seems to produce a more balanced result. Even when using something like yeast compound people also use nutrient also. It has bits and bobs (scientific that) that sugar wouldn't have and it's healthy for yeast and helps build up a good colony. That's what I've read anyway :)
    It's cheap as chips and comes in a really densely packed powder form. For wine a level tsp is usually recommended so it will last for ages. I would say chuck it in. Tescos and The Health Store have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Cheers. I was concerned with it affecting flavour. The pear cider kit I had came with a sachet of it. Didn't add it initially and it did look like fermentation had kicked off by last night but I threw it in after reading your post. It's ticking away nicely there.

Advertisement