Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bass Drum Advice

• 27-10-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey! I am looking for some advice on getting a decent bass drum sound!! Our drummers bass drum seems to be the weak link in our sound at the moment! I recently traded a studio mic for an AKG 112d. This seems to be a great mic, but one downside to that is that it is showing up all the unwanted overtones! There is a constant 'Honk" on it!!

Does anyone have any advice on mic positioning, dampening, head tension etc? The front skin has a diy hole cut in it for a mic, which is far from perfect, and I know this is having a negative effect. I have told him to buy a new one with a prefab hole which would be a start!!

Any advice or input will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

I'm not a drummer but...
    How are you placing the mic at the moment?
    At a guess don't point the mic at the beater and keep it parallel to the floor no more than a couple of inches inside the sound hole,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Go on to youtube, there's plenty of videos explaining this.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

One thing about recording bass drums is that some microphones can't pick up the lower frequencies, so if it's picking up all of the overtones instead of the lower range, that might be down to the mic. Also, play around with the muffling of the bass. It might be too muffled to produce the right sound, or else you may be over adjusting the head to compensate for lack of muffling, although a lot of that is down to personal preference I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

replace the recorded bass drum with a sample, common practice in a lot of productions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

A cheap and easy way to dampen the bass drum sound is to put a pillow, or thick blanket inside the bass pressing against the front. Its common practice and can make the bass sound a lot nicer. Less of a echo boom, and more of a bass thud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement