Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is trick and treat night?

Options
  • 27-10-2012 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Is tonight trick and treat night, or when is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

It's the last day, 31st, of October so you're safe yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

ethernet wrote: »
    It's the last day, 31st, of October so you're safe yet!
    Trick or treat?
    When did we become America?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Did you not have a childhood?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Trick or Treat replaced (for some!) 'help the Halloween party'/Púca night. That traditionally takes places on Halloween or Samhain (31st - Wednesday this year). It is also the old new years eve.

That being said, as with a lot of things, convenience rears its head so 'Halloween parties' etc are often held on the closest Saturday - tonight - as a lot of people don't work on Sunday.
    We'll get some trick or treaters tonight but some Wednesday I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was just chatting to some kids I know about this, apprently Wednesday is when they intend to trick or treating.
    So now I know when to stock up on raisins, apples and healthy sweets lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I shall erect my blackout curtains and disconnect the doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

we are not in america. its called halloweening.

Trick or treat?

when it became acceptable to say 'bathroom' when you mean toilet. i know people who pronounce the word 'route' the american way just becauase they work with computers.

BTW any kids who come to my door and just say 'trick or treat' can f off. if they want something they will recite a poem or sing a song.keep it traditional. why americanise an irish custom?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    when it became acceptable to say 'bathroom' when you mean toilet. i know people who pronounce the word 'route' the american way just becauase they work with computers.

BTW any kids who come to my door and just say 'trick or treat' can f off. if they want something they will recite a poem or sing a song.keep it traditional. why americanise an irish custom?

We have lost our language haven't we? Though some are still trying to claim it back If not then let's f*ck toilet for leithras. or door for doras? Let's not be complacent if we exchange one cultural master for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, I don't think so:

"Halloweening: The act of a women eating a butterfinger then blowing a male (boyfriend), then while chocolate and peanutbutter is still slathered ..."

ref: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Halloweening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I'm 25 and it's always been trick or treating to me and everyone else I know

It would be nice to revive the old tradition of getting a poem/song etc instead of a threat! Lol.

It's a great night on The Aran Islands. The dead are allowed to walk with the living in peace, so noone in costume speaks or can be recognised until after midnight. The kids are spooky and silent at the doors and many order their pints on a piece of paper in the pub, so as not to speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

inisboffin wrote: »
    It would be nice to revive the old tradition of getting a poem/song etc instead of a threat! Lol.

It's a great night on The Aran Islands. The dead are allowed to walk with the living in peace, so noone in costume speaks or can be recognised until after midnight. The kids are spooky and silent at the doors and many order their pints on a piece of paper in the pub, so as not to speak!

everyone is wearing a mask and in the pub there given a straw with there pint so noboby knows who's sitting next to you, could be family, friends or your emeny sitting quitely next to you.
    also if you visit houses, you walk in and sit on the couch, given cans and sweets, watching whatever the family are watching on tv, them having a one way conversation with you.
    after awhile just leave, if you see them a few days later, say a smart comment to them and they will know it was you in there house.

ah how i love that place called home

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

Halloween is coming and the geese are getting fat,
    please put a penny in the old man's hat,
    if you havn't got a penny,
    a hay penny will do,
    havn't got a hay penny,
    God Bless You!!:eek:

(by house 4)

Halloween is comin n da eese fa,
    please put a ny n na na nana na,
    naa naa nana nn na
    God Bless You!!
    Yay! more monkey nuts and an apple:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Frynge wrote: »
    Did you not have a childhood?
    Trick 'r treating never took off in my local area and other neighbouring areas. It still doesn't take place at the moment. I wouldn't believe it's a big hit in Ireland at all. It has slightly gained some attention in the last few years though with "new-age" families. We did used to have Halloween Parties n' games though and Bonfires and stuff.

Trick 'r treating never took off in my local area and other neighbouring areas. It still doesn't take place at the moment. I wouldn't believe it's a big hit in Ireland at all. It has slightly gained some attention in the last few years though with "new-age" families. We did used to have Halloween Parties n' games though and Bonfires and stuff.

Everyone I know did the door to door 'help the halloween party' when I was younger. My cousins on the other side of the country did it too. You were often asked to do something like a poem, or parade your costume. Still goes on with all the kids I know, only now they call it trick or treat instead of 'help the halloween party'. All the loot was then taken to a party and we had a bonfire.

biko wrote: »
    So now I know when to stock up on raisins, apples and healthy sweets lol

I hated houses like yours when doing the halloween rounds. Walking back down the path to go to the next house "wtf, an apple?!?!"

ahh the memories :)

I hated houses like yours when doing the halloween rounds. Walking back down the path to go to the next house "wtf, an apple?!?!"

ahh the memories :)

Ha ha! Monkey nuts were better than apples, as long as they had a few coins in there.
    Yep, we used to get money (the smart children knew they could exchange this in a building called a shop, at a later date for sweets. To us instant gratification lot, it came a begrudging second place)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

no, it's actually called "mumming".

and then people doing the Mumming are called "mummers"

coleria wrote: »
    Halloween is coming and the geese are getting fat,
    please put a penny in the old man's hat,
    if you havn't got a penny,
    a hay penny will do,
    havn't got a hay penny,
    God Bless You!!:eek:

get up old man and shake your feathers
    do not think that we are beggars
    we only come once a year
    and when we come we want our share.

(by house 4)

Halloween is comin n da eese fa,
    please put a ny n na na nana na,
    naa naa nana nn na
    God Bless You!!
    Yay! more monkey nuts and an apple:pac:

you missed a verse

• Advertisement

you missed a verse

That second bit is in a whole different rhythm, I've never heard it either!:D
    I suspect that everywhere adds their own little local bits to a lot of these chants.

I've heard of people calling them mummers on Oiche Shamhna alright, but it's a word I would associate more with St Stephens' day and the wren boys. Mummers is a broad term for folk actors and plays though, so you could get them at any time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

you missed a verse

And it's "Christmas is coming..."

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    And it's "Christmas is coming..."

Ha ha! It's been both apparently. And Halloween was sometimes referred to as 'The Irish Christmas' as we made such a big deal of it.

And this is interesting:

Hogmanay Guising

" A popular Scottish Hogmanay guising song was:

Rise up, guid wife, an' shake your feathers,
    Dinna think that we are beggars:
    We are bairns come out to play,
    Get up and gie's our Hogmanay!"

Similar enough to the 'missing' Halloween one. People are always borrowing bits from one song to make another through, especially kids (think 'Jesus Christ, Superstar..he wears frilly...etc! lol! ;))

well, I think we can all agree it's a lot more fun and interesting than plain old
    "trick or treat".

how boring is that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Trick or treat?

:confused: I've called it that since I was tiny.
    What do you call it? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Where did you live,Mars?

In all seriousness I thought everyone trick or treated. And it's not new-age families, even my parents did it when they were young.

And who doesn't call it trick or treating?

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Where did you live,Mars?

In all seriousness I thought everyone trick or treated. And it's not new-age families, even my parents did it when they were young.

And who doesn't call it trick or treating?

I guess it depends on how much you are in touch with local tradition or how much you are influenced by foreign popular culture. BTW is there a halloween parade in Galway tomorrow night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

:confused: I've called it that since I was tiny.
    What do you call it? :p

Of course, for many people it's "Holloween" apparently...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've always gone 'trick or treating'.

When times were tough I went out dressed in a black bag.

Advertisement