Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is trick and treat night?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sorry. Triple post. Was getting a not sent message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

mathepac wrote: »
    Nov 5th is Guy Fawke's night. A Catholic Yorkshireman who tried to blow up James I and the House of Lords and restore a Catholic (Spaniard ?) to the throne of England, he was a hero much maligned by Brits since.

Guy, pronounced ghee usually, but not in Britland apparently, confusing it with the Hebrew goy / goyim meaning Nation or Nations.

See #54

Usually just referred to as Bonfire night.
    Never heard his name pronounced ghee.

There was always a chant that went with it, "remember, remember the 5th of November, gunpowder treason......" and due to my age I can't remember the rest. We're going off thread but if anyone knows the rest of it?.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

antoobrien wrote: »
    see #49
    What for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

What for?

why are you explaining something I've already posted?

Same goes for Irishgoatman's reply

• Advertisement

See #54 ...
    What for?
    ... Usually just referred to as Bonfire night....
    No it wasn't, it was Guy Fawkes night. Bonfire night was celebrated at either the Summer (24th June) or Winter Soltice or St. John's Eve (23rd of June) or all three.
    ... Never heard his name pronounced ghee...
    "Guy" the familiar / diminutive of Guido, a Spanish / Italian (?) name he adopted while in the Netherlands on mercenary exploits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Little people are freezing tonight. Feels like 2°C out there.
    *smug*

What for?

No it wasn't, it was Guy Fawkes night. Bonfire night was celebrated at either the Summer (24th June) or Winter Soltice or St. John's Eve (23rd of June) or all three.
    "Guy" the familiar / diminutive of Guido, a Spanish / Italian (?) name he adopted while in the Netherlands on mercenary exploits.

I'm not sure what part of England you are from, but althought it was officially Guy Fawkes night, it was generally referred to as, as I said earlier, Bonfire Night. I had never heard of bonfires on any of the other nights taking place in the South East nor did I ever hear mention of them on the radio or television until I moved here.

Your lovely explanation of the name Guy may well be correct, I'm not wasting time checking it, but has nothing to do with anything and does not alter the fact that in England I never heard it pronounced any way other than Guy, as in Gi. You will quite often hear it in a period drama as it is not in fashion as far as I know.

antoobrien wrote: »
    why are you explaining something I've already posted? ...
    You posted a link to something and then obscured it. I chose to ignore it due to its lack of clarity; are you surprised?

The other chap still seems puzzled about true patriots, festivals (Christian & pagan) religious martyrs and pronouncing non-English names.

Me - I'm here to help.

I'm not sure what part of England you are from, but althought it was officially Guy Fawkes night, ...
    Thanks, you take my point as well made so that's sound, I'm right again. I'm not from England at all boss, I was on a class of an educational mission over there for a while. I think ye'd call it proselytising.

• Advertisement

You posted a link to something and then obscured it. I chose to ignore it due to its lack of clarity; are you surprised?

The other chap still seems puzzled about true patriots, festivals (Christian & pagan) religious martyrs and pronouncing non-English names.

Me - I'm here to help.

Assuming that I'm "the other chap" why do you think I'm puzzled?.
    If you wish to try correcting what happened in my childhood and what I learnt whilst growing up, then the best of luck.

Going off at a tangent whilst trying to lecture people is extremely boring.

Enough is enough, I'm out of here.

Enough is enough, I'm out of here.
    Guido Fawkes leastigh den doras, gan dabht.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Was down at the Castlegar Holy Well shindig for little people. Storytelling, Music, Dancin' and loads of sugar, great craic! Very old timey, bonfires, songs and no tricks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Worked out well, I still had some sweets left at the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I had four callers - FOUR. Ended up eating all the sweets myself with my own kids. Sick this morning. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

We had 5. Very, very quiet. Better for the dogs, though. They hate it when the door bell rings constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

We had a few callers but we're anti social anyway and don't know anyone in the area. But one group of kids and their parents turned up and recited a verse which was charming and very traditional.

Trick or treat is relatively recent. When I grew up in Dublin it was all 'Help the Halloween party' and we went to every second house. Everybody knew everybody else. Despite the notion among non Dubs to the contrary many Dublin areas are quite village like.

Back then it was a Turnips with eyes instead of pumpkins. We exported Halloween to America but in typical style they made it 'Hollywood' and sent it back to us and to Britain which hardly had any tradtion of it.

I have corrected English people who complained about Halloween as a silly American import and pointed out it was actually a very old tradition from this side of the pond.

But they have Bonfire night on the 5th of November. Again when asked if we celebrated that by an English friend. I pointed out that we Irish were hardly likely to celebrate the failure to blow up the British parliament!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

But we are a nation that loves to celebrate heroic failures :)
    bluecode wrote: »
    But they have Bonfire night on the 5th of November. Again when asked if we celebrated that by an English friend. I pointed out that we Irish were hardly likely to celebrate the failure to blow up the British parliament!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

no, it's actually called "mumming".

and then people doing the Mumming are called "mummers"

This.

We never called it Trick Or Treating. Do kids actually say trick or treat at the door? Please tell me they don't...

We always sang a song or played a bit of music or recited a poem.

I used to sing

I'm a rambler I'm a gambler I'm a long way from home,
    and if you don't like me just leave me a lone.
    I'll eat when I'm hungry and I'll drink when I'm dry
    and if moonshine don't kill me, I'll live til I die

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

kraggy wrote: »

I used to sing

I'm a rambler I'm a gambler I'm a long way from home,
    and if you don't like me just leave me a lone.
    I'll eat when I'm hungry and I'll drink when I'm dry
    and if moonshine don't kill me, I'll live til I die

That would definitely deserve a mars bar! ;)

We got some lovely little singers last night including a brilliant rendition, twice speed, of Beyonce numbers sung by a tiny traveller lad dressed in a scream mask! Lol!

• Advertisement
Advertisement