Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

securing upstairs pvc windows

• 27-10-2012 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

the windows have no locks
    what's the best way to secure them so kids can't fall out
    and be able to open them quickly to escape a fire?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

M cebee wrote: »
    the windows have no locks
    what's the best way to secure them so kids can't fall out
    and be able to open them quickly to escape a fire?

Metal or plastic window restrictor kits.

Only cost a few euro in Mila (Kilbarrack) or a few euro in Ikea (Balymun).

Yes,Ikea sell safety catches for windows and with kids safety in mind.

They are also quick release too,in the event of an emergencey.:)

You can also buy surface fitted internal window locks from Yale,for pvc windows.

1 part screws into the main window frame and the other part screws into the window frame that opens.You lock both parts together with a small key so that the window cant be opened at all.

They are around 15-18 euro each,depending on where you buy them.

Personally I would opt for the restictor kit,as the last thing you need to be doing is messing around with a key,in the event of an emergencey (smoke and flames).

Another Yale pvc lock that simpley acts as a window jam,and prevents the window from being opened out.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Yale-8K103-PVCu-Window-Stop-White-Window-Lock-UPVC-/370532321903

Woodies and B&Q have these on sale,and they are around 17-18 euro,last time I looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ok thanks dunno about the quick release as the older kids will tend to operate them leaving the window open

might have to go for a lock setup and tape the key over the window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just replace the handles. Keep the old ones for when the kids get older and you can put them back on.

I wrote to the local fire officer for permission to replace mind but as he said as its my home and i am doing it to protect my child there should be no problem.

Just put a small key holding box (You can get them in kleenez or the likes) with a key in it on your window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Just replace the handles. Keep the old ones for when the kids get older and you can put them back on.

I wrote to the local fire officer for permission to replace mind but as he said as its my home and i am doing it to protect my child there should be no problem.

Just put a small key holding box (You can get them in kleenez or the likes) with a key in it on your window.

how much are they?

You will get locking handles cheap in Mila in Kilbarack Industrial Estate,Dublin 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

M cebee wrote: »
    how much are they?

handles? anywhere from 6 euro to 20 euro. just shop around. You will need to bring one of the old ones. For the sizing and shaft length on the bar.

Advertisement