Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating Plum pockets

Options
  • 27-10-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with a very old plum tree that for the past two years has produced tiny flavourless plums and also a lot of flowers produce bladder like fruit (Plum Pockets) that fall off.
    Having researched the subject a bit, it seems to be caused by a fungus and must be treated with Lime Suplpur, which seems to be very hard to get. (impossible to date)
    Does anyone know where I get this or advise on an alternative course of trreatment for tree? I really miss the huge juicy yellow plums!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I have no experience of this but would love to see photos of what you describe. Did you try thinning out the fruit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Images attached.
    Thinning would help. However, its hard to thin out as the tree is massive (tall). I will cut more off the top of it in spring which should help.

Futher research says that this product may help; Westland Plant Rescue Fungus Control. Must have a search of a good garden centre. Given that the tree is huge-what would be the best way to spray it and when?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Dont know about sprays,

but if you are interested fruit tree pruning workshop in westport here in early 2013:

http://www.fruitandnut.ie/workshops.html

Advertisement