Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to mix condensed milk with melted chocolate?

Options
  • 27-10-2012 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going a chocolate biscuit cake (i've done loads) and some times when I add the condensed milk to the melted chocolate it reacts and goes grainy/lumpy into a paste sort of consistency.

It's cadburys chocolate, and i've tried adding the milk when the chocolate is fairly cool and it still sometimes reacts to the paste. This doesn't coat the biscuit when I mix them in.

Anyone know what the problem is and how to avoid it so I get a smooth chocolate mix all the time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

How are you melting the chocolate?

I would do it in a bowl over a hot pot of water and add the milk gradually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

condensed milk in glass bowl, sitting over put of simmering water (make sure the water isn't touching the bowl.

when it's warmed up a little and is nice and loose starting adding a few lumps of chocolate at a time and keep stirring, eventually you will end up with a nice glossy chocolatey saucey mixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Cadburys is a particularly bad chocolate for this job as it does not melt to a thin consistency, it is always very thick. Anyway assuming you still want to use it, add the condensed milk very slowly, a little at a time while still having the choc in bowl over water, this allows the temperature of the milk to rise which stop the chocolate seizing which is what is happening when you add the cold milk suddenly to the melted chocolate. By adding it gradually you avoid giving the melted choc a cold shock, pretty much same as the others have advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Yeah my first thought was that all Cadbury's is a bad idea, get some good quality chocolate like Lidl/Aldi 70% and mis it 50/50 with good milk chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cheers for the answers. Did 3 in a row and it worked, think I have it sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement