Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toadstools and dogs..

• 27-10-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I have just noticed dozens of large fungus/toadstools growing in my garden. Are they dangerous for my little dog? I would like to know if I should pick them to throw away or will she instinctively know not to eat them?

I would also like to know if it is dangerous for her to touch one with her mouth when retrieving her ball?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No I wouldn't generally worry about them. Puppies are inclined to eat things out of curiosity but a dog that's more than six months old will usually leave mushrooms alone because they just don't find them appealing.

Just keep an eye on her initially. She'll probably sniff them and then ignore them. If she does eat one, then take her to a vet along with an example of the mushroom she's eaten.

My staffie who will generally eat anything which crosses her path, leaves them alone when we're out, so my guess is that they just don't appeal to dogs at all.

I wouldn't be concerned about her touching them, even the very toxic ones aren't dangerous to touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Will it take so long to pick and dump them?
    Then you don't have to worry either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, a close friend & his little dog (just 7 months old) moved to a new country farmhouse a few weeks ago. There were large weird mushrooms in his garden, and within a day the little dog became very sick - vomiting, shaking and eventually having seizures.
    We had to move him from one vet hospital as we could not afford to keep him there another night to the blue cross hosp is dublin city, and when we were driving there , the dog on my lap, i thought he had died, he was so cold & limp.

He had seizures for several hours, and developed a type of 'screaming' bark - the vet reckoned he could be neuorologically (sp?) damaged, and told my friend to pick all the mushrooms out of his garden.
    The dog is the type to chew anything, only a puppy. Luckily the dogs 'personality' has more or less come back to normal, but it was a horrible exp. & was either caused by the dog eating mushrooms/ toadstools or eating rat poison or something from the farm next door, vet could find no other explanation.
    Just sharing my experience, and would not wish anyone to go thru what we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Thank you for your replies. l will put on gloves and try to remove them all, although I dont want to draw her attention to them either. They give me the creeps..

Really hope the little dog in Dublin makes a full recovery...x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Can I suggest you throw a pic up so we can identify them? At my old house there were two kinds growing and with a bit of research I established what they were and that they were safe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement