Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus....are they reliable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Asus are a good make alright.

That laptop however would be quite poor, processor is crappy.

You should be aiming for an intel i3 of some variety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

OK, thanks, bar an i3 processor what's the next decent chip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Doom wrote: »
    OK, thanks, bar an i3 processor what's the next decent chip?

A Sandy Bridge Pentium B9xx, they're pretty close to the 1st gen Core i3 processors

370M Passmark score: 1963

B960 Passmark score: 1980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Doom wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting this for my daughter for Christmas, her 1st laptop.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/ASUS-X501UXX049V-156andquot-Laptop-White/311418/301

I had X401A (the same series as that one) for awhile. Good looking and well performing for things like watching photos and videos, surfing web, listening to music.

Overall performance was crappy for my multitasking productive taste (X401A comes with Pentium B970 with HD2000 graphics) but I'm sure that would be good enough for your daughter. Check Argos they got them in in 2 or 3 different colors and it's 14 inch screen weight under 2Kg and 6 hours battery life with WLAN web surfing.
    Looks really stylish, colored plastic with some tiny texture, no fingerprints

Remember to uninstall some 10-15 different Asus bloatware programs that come pre-installed, improves performance a bit ;)

Also, touchpad is multi-touch type so it's worth look at those settings and tick off functionalities you don't need. Then it does less surprising things "on it's own" :D

Advertisement