Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Vs Liverpool 28.10.12 KO 13:30pm (Sky Sports 1)

• 27-10-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

pCel4.jpg

Venue Goodison Park, Sunday 28th October 13:30pm

Tickets Sold out

Last season Everton 0 Liverpool 2

Referee Andre Marriner

This season's matches 4 Y9, R0, 2.25 cards per game

Odds Everton 7-4 Liverpool 15-8 Draw 12-5

TEAM NEWS

Everton are hopeful Marouane Fellaini (knee) will be fit for Sunday's Merseyside derby.
    Tony Hibbert could return from a calf injury but the Toffees are without Steven Pienaar, who serves a one-match ban for his sending-off against QPR.
    Liverpool will check the fitness of Pepe Reina, who is back in training after a hamstring injury.
    But Glen Johnson should be fit after coming off at half-time against Anzi Makhachkala.

MATCH PREVIEW

The 219th Merseyside derby. It's tempting to leave it there, because this is an occasion that speaks for itself.
    I've been lucky enough to attend several, and none have disappointed. Even when the game itself hasn't matched the excitement of the build-up, the atmosphere has more than made up for it.
    The sides' respective starts to the season would have made Everton clear favourites a month or so ago, but there have been signs since that the Brendan Rodgers way is slowly having a positive effect at Anfield.

After successive 1-0 wins over Reading and the mega-rich Russians, Anzhi Makhachkala, the Reds come into the derby in good heart, with Rodgers emphasising the "progress, right the way through" that he's seen as his squad gets accustomed to the way he wants them to play.
    Raheem Sterling has particularly caught the eye, and Liverpool's matchwinner of last weekend now has the chance to become the youngest derby goalscorer of modern times. If he nets at Goodison aged 17 and 325 days he'll beat Danny Cadamarteri's record by nearly seven weeks.
    In a game that's so often 'won and lost' in midfield, Everton will miss Steven Pienaar after his unlucky dismissal at QPR last Sunday. His partnership with Leighton Baines has been superb this season and, whoever fills in, the team's threat down the left might not be the same.
    The overall form book still favours the Toffees, who've lost just one of their last 17 home games and only one of 17 league games anywhere. The history guide goes Liverpool's way with seven wins in the last 11 top-flight meetings, losing one. They've also won four of the last five Goodison games.
    It's Brendan Rodgers' first derby and David Moyes' 24th, joining the great Harry Catterick in managing Everton against Liverpool in 11 successive seasons.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

* This will be the 219th Merseyside derby - Liverpool have 87 wins, Everton 66 wins, with 65 draws.
    * Everton have won just one of the last 11 Premier League meetings with Liverpool (W1, D3, L7).
    * There have been 20 red cards in this fixture during the Premier League era - six more than any other fixture in the division.

Everton

* The Toffees have lost just one of their last 17 Premier League matches (W9, D7, L1) - September's 2-0 defeat by West Brom.
    * David Moyes has won just four of his 23 meetings with Liverpool in all competitions (13 defeats). All of those victories were at Goodison Park.
    * Everton have hit the woodwork 10 times in the league this season, more than any other team in the Premier League.
    * But they have scored 15 goals in eight games - their best tally at the equivalent stage of any Premier League season.

Liverpool

* Liverpool are unbeaten in their last three Premier League games (W2, D1), marking their longest run in 2012.
    * The Reds are looking to register back-to-back league wins for the first time since December 2011.
    * They have kept clean sheets in each of their last two games - the first time they have managed consecutive shut-outs since February.
    * This will be Brendan Rodgers's first Merseyside derby in charge of Liverpool - he lost both games against Everton as Swansea manager last season.

DPE3j.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kick off is 1:30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Think we are on at 1.30pm not 4pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Kick off is 1:30pm

Ah balls. I took the KO time from the guardian sheets :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Liverpoolll

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

We've managed to put together a small run of games and hopefully that can continue on Sunday. Everton will be without 2 key players in Fellaini and Pienaar and we should be able to dominate the midfield against them.

A few players will have given Rodgers a selection headache over the last few games notably Assaidi,Jones and Shelvey. This is a massive game for us bigger so than in the last few years as Everton are actually being predicted to make a stronger top 4 push than ourselves so a first derby win for Rodgers would be brilliant.

Reina

Wisdom---Skrtel---Agger----Johnson

Allen
    Sahin

Gerrard

Sterling
    Suarez
    Assaidi

I think Reina if fit pips it over Jones.As good as Jones has been he has a tendency to hoof the ball a la Carra a bit to often and doesn't look particularly comfortable on the ball. Assaidi really looks like he could come up with that game changing moment and i think it's a bout time he got a start in the premiership.The hardest decision will be who to leave out in midfield. Jonjo Shelvey has been unbelievable this season and i think playing Gerrard on the right hand side doesn't look like an option for some reason.

Hopefully we can keep up the run and Suarez has his shooting boots on.I'm going for 2-0 to us and another clean sheet to keep the momentum going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

you can change the time by double clicking the link on the front page.

Everton have won 3 league Derbies at Goodison in the last 14 years, every time they think they should win, based on on form guides they still fail to. Indeed Everton must have the worst home record of any major "derby" match up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Date is wrong on the title :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Time is wrong......and the date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Has anyone noticed that the date and time are wrong?

Date is wrong on the title :)
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Time is wrong......and the date.
    SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that the date and time are wrong?

Yes I know. Its changed now :).
    Thats what happens when you rush things :P

• Advertisement

And Shelvey ahead of Sahin?.....I prefer Mike65's match threads, they are basic, to the point, and most importantly correct, and we win when he does them.:pac:

mike65 wrote: »
    you can change the time by double clicking the link on the front page.

Everton have won 3 league Derbies at Goodison in the last 14 years, every time they think they should win, based on on form guides they still fail to. Indeed Everton must have the worst home record of any major "derby" match up.

Thanks Mike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You didn't bold Reina, Fellani or Hibbert my OCD is killing me now!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    You didn't bold Reina, Fellani or Hibbert my OCD is killing me now!

Its not mine. Stolen from Guardian Squad Sheets. I'm busy "Trying" doing my own teams which will be up in due course :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Going for Everton 3-1.

I think Liverpool will win this 3-1. Red card for Everton, Assiadi, Suarez & Gerrard to score :)

When I managed Liverpool in FIFA 12 my biggest defeat was 4-0 to Everton, based on that I think Everton will win 2-0. Jelavich to score both and people to cry out for Gary Hopper to be signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Just hope we get a decent referee after last seasons Goodison derby was ruined by the ref falling for play acting by Suarez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Liverpool will win this 3-1. Red card for Everton, Assiadi, Suarez & Gerrard to score :)

Hopefully it'll be more than a two goal margin victory then! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I smell penos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It was a command, not a prediction.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Just hope we get a decent referee after last seasons Goodison derby was ruined by the ref falling for play acting by Suarez

Referee Andre Marriner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

eh i dunno wrote: »

only took 19 posts,

hopefully next week he can make top 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Iang87 wrote: »

only took 19 posts,

hopefully next week he can make top 10
    But it was ruined by Suarez play acting :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Waahaaay Suarez.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I see a 0-4 result
    Liverpool to dominate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

cambo2008 wrote: »
    But it was ruined by Suarez play acting :confused:

Why was it runied, i really enjoyed the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I see a 0-4 result
    Liverpool to dominate

Really? Everton have been playing very well this season so far. Will be very close imo, but can see Liverpool nicking it.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »

The game as a contest.

Because the red card went in Liverpool's favour.

The game as a contest.

Why not blame the ref for making a poor desicion instead of blaming Suarez again, its just lazy bandwagon jumping ****e.

Because the red card went in Liverpool's favour.
    A game between fairly evenly matched teams is always ruined by a red card regardless of any vested interests.

A game between fairly evenly matched teams is always ruined by a red card regardless of any vested interests.

I am sure you were equally outraged at Shelvey's red card a few weeks back.

I am sure you were equally outraged at Shelvey's red card a few weeks back.
    No, because I support United.
    I thought I explained that part already :confused:

It did ruin that game as a contest though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why not blame the ref for making a poor desicion instead of blaming Suarez again, its just lazy bandwagon jumping ****e.

I will remember this one the next time you blame United player for something;)

Missed that post. Bandwagon me arse.
    Same old story from the likes of you, blame anyone but Suarez.

Were you blaming the ref when Ashley Young and Danny Welbeck dived for a penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Liverpool to win comfortably, with goals from Sterling, Suarez and Gerrard. And a red card to be shown.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm far from confident about this match. Liverpool have been getting their own way a lot in this tie recently, but I can't see tomorrow being a continuation of it, although I think it'll be a low scoring match with only 1 or 2 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Fellaini starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Even though Everton are currently the better side, they'll bottle it like they always do against Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

So much on the line tomorrow. Liverpool out to regain form, or continue it, while Everton are out to show current dominance on Merseyside. (I dont buy this bull over them being the big team on Merseyside at all)

That said it'll be a cracker tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Recommended bet has to be a red card for Shelvey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

El Spearo wrote: »
    So much on the line tomorrow. Liverpool out to regain form, or continue it, while Everton are out to show current dominance on Merseyside. (I dont buy this bull over them being the big team on Merseyside at all)

That said it'll be a cracker tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Recommended bet has to be a red card for Shelvey.

Doubt shelvey will start, had a bit of a stinker in the second half on Thursday.

I honestly have no idea what way this game will go tomorrow but really looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

ft9 wrote: »
    Liverpool to win comfortably, with goals from Sterling, Suarez and Gerrard. And a red card to be shown.

Liverpool get 3?this is funny...

Low scoring draw with Fellani to bully Pool and score first

dahat wrote: »
    Liverpool get 3?this is funny...

Low scoring draw with Fellani to bully Pool and score first

I hope it doesnt come back to haunt me but Fellani rarely plays well in the derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think I'd go for a score draw here.

I also think there's a great chance Liverpool get some sort of game changing decision in their favour after Rodgers' constant whinging in the media about refereeing decisions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Paully D wrote: »

I also think there's a great chance Liverpool get some sort of game changing decision in their favour after Rodgers' constant whinging in the media about refereeing decisions.

constant whinging?

It was moyes doing the most recent whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Paully D wrote: »

Oh ffs

Well done lads, you made him feel a bit better about himself. Nice to see Liverpool fans helping out in the SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dcully wrote: »
    constant whinging?

It was moyes doing the most recent whinging.
    Hoki wrote: »
    Oh ffs

Mike Riley, the referees' chief, thought enough of it to warn him about his comments:

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/soccer/premier-league/rodgers-told-to-lay-off-referees-1.1412427#.UI0hA8UxpSQ
    Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has been warned ahead of this afternoon’s Merseyside derby against Everton that his continual berating of match officials will not help his team’s cause.

Referees’ chief Mike Riley and his members are angered by Rodgers continuing to claim his club are victimised by officials, regarding it as a tactic to seek an advantage.

Ahead of today’s crunch match at Goodison Park, the Liverpool boss has defiantly repeated his frustrations over the way his club’s games are officiated, sarcastically remarking he would have to take a holiday when his striker Luis Suarez got a decision in his favour.

“Brendan Rodgers isn’t the first manager to try it on,” said a referees’ source. “He has been reminded that Kenny Dalglish did the same thing as Liverpool manager last season and it didn’t work for him.

“It won’t work for Brendan, either. There have been phone calls which have relayed that message. It is pretty clear.”

Premier League referees, who are looked after by Professional Game Match Officials Limited, are becoming increasingly resentful at the way they believe they are being used as scapegoats by managers for poor results.

Rodgers has been strident in his defence of controversial Uruguay striker Suarez, who has been booked for diving three times since he joined Liverpool at the start of last year.

Rodgers blasted referee Mike Jones for not awarding Suarez a penalty against Norwich last month. When the Uruguayan was clearly seen to have dived the following weekend against Stoke City, however, Rodgers claimed not to have seen it.

He continued his theme ahead of today’s derby game when he said: “One of these days, we will get a decision.”

Everton, though, clearly felt Suarez’s over-reaction to a tackle in a derby match last season cost Jack Rodwell a red card and Goodison boss David Moyes has hit back at the striker’s antics, saying: “He has history. It will turn the supporters away.”

Rodgers was appointed after Kenny Dalglish created a PR disaster by supporting Suarez in his racial abuse case with Manchester United’s Patrice Evra. But the Ulsterman, who has been mocked as football’s answer to fictitious television windbag David Brent from The Office for his appearances in a fly-on-the-wall documentary Being: Liverpool, has also been strident in sticking up for his club’s interests.

Last night, he again appeared to try to put pressure on today’s referee, Andre Marriner.

“It is so important for the referees to stay calm and not get excited,” said Rodgers. “I’ve seen it over the years, some of the tackles in these games is incredible. My last memory was a tackle of [Everton’s] Steven Pienaar that was up around the top of the guy’s thigh. I don’t believe he even got booked for it, which was absolutely incredible.

“So there’s a responsibility there for the refs to make sure itÕs a football game and not a rugby game. - Daily Mail

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement