Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest Nation on Earth

• 27-10-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭

What in your opinion is the greatest nation/race on earth?

For me i'd pick Japan.The people there just seem to be able to rebuild quickly no matter what happens like ww2 or the tsunami.They seem to be very proud people and put a lot of importance on education and hard work.

So which country or race of people would you choose and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

'murica!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

'murica!

Fuck yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The Peoples Republic Of Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ireland

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Iceland, one letter and real balls seperate them from us, they stood up for themselves, told the International Banks, the Brits and the Dutch to F off, now they are in economic recovery and have their soverignty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Ireland, ten years ago was the greatest place on earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

South Sudan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Iceland, two letters and real balls seperate them from us, they stood up for themselves, told the International Banks, the Brits and the Dutch to F off, now they are in economic recovery and have their soverignty!
    Two letters? Are they better at spelling too?

endacl wrote: »
    I deserve that:o
    Now watch the less than ninja edit, you horrible grammar nazi:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Germany or Switzerland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Dance nation 2000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Well he's kinda right...swapping the 'c' for the 'r' involves two letters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Iceland, one letter and real balls seperate them from us, they stood up for themselves, told the International Banks, the Brits and the Dutch to F off, now they are in economic recovery and have their soverignty!

+ they have reindeer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

'murica!

They invented democracy, free speech and capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

In the risk of sounding unpopulist, Germany. Theyre holding Europe together single handedly at the moment and came storming back in zero time after the complete destruction that was WWII.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Kazahkstan.

They certainly didn't invent capitalism, for the origins of capitalism I suggest you read Weber's Spirit of capitalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The BRITISH !!!!!!!!!!!

Did you not watch that series on sky where they proclaimed their brilliance and took credit for everything ever invented or made?????

Shower of self obsessed pricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

1ZRed wrote: »
    + they have reindeer

Sure we have plenty of rain here.

Andorra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Owryan wrote: »
    The BRITISH !!!!!!!!!!!

Did you not watch that series on sky where they proclaimed their brilliance and took credit for everything ever invented or made?????

Or to put it nicely 'their slightly anglo-centric narrative'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

+ they have reindeer

I'm pretty sure they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

deman wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they don't.

...they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

telekon wrote: »
    In the risk of sounding unpopulist, Germany. Theyre holding Europe together single handedly at the moment and came storming back in zero time after the complete destruction that was WWII.

..and sure that wasnt their fault at all....at all.

I deserve that:o
    Now watch the less than ninja edit, you horrible grammar nazi:D
    Shurruptafuq. I'm a nice grammar Nazi. You did bend over and say 'kick me' with that one though!

;-)

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Well he's kinda right...swapping the 'c' for the 'r' involves two letters...
    Semantics, Dougal. Semantics.....

+ they have reindeer
    No they don't.*

*well, they do. But only in the same way we do here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

No they don't.*

*well, they do. But only in the same way we do here.

We don't have wild reindeer, Iceland do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

The Chinese.A great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Wrong on all counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Australia. No explanation required.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

The BRITISH !!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that didn't take long.

SaulGoode9 wrote: »

We don't have wild reindeer, Iceland do
    Iceland have a non indigenous species, introduced from Norway. And are therefore not the greatest nation on earth. Stick to the point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The Japanese have also done some terrible things to the Chinese. They refuse to properly acknowledge their wartime atrocities against China and have made historically revisionist comments about the Nanking Massacre which they committed in 1937. Their history books have attempted to whitewash Japanese wrong-doing with regards to sex slaves and forced suicides during World War II, which has been a source of controversy across Asia. So, their "pride" can work in horrible ways too, to be fair.

For me, I'm gonna say Brazil. They know how to have a good time.

Iceland have a non indigenous species, introduced from Norway. And are therefore not the greatest nation on earth. Stick to the point!
    The Reindeer were never the reason I said they were the greatest nation on earth, which they are!

No. They invented basketball, rock 'n' roll, and crap food.

• Advertisement

The Reindeer were never the reason I said they were the greatest nation on earth, which they are!
    Is it because of the geothermal underfloor heating and Bjork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Swaziland. Where cannabis grows everywhere and your mother waters them because of the "lovely flowers".

for the above reasons

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

The BRITISH !!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you watch it is the question? Why the Irish have such an obsession with all things British I will never know. Also, did they wrongly clame any inventions or are you just disgusted at the self obsession while interested enough to watch it lol.

You could of said the British for other reasons, for being a good home to millions of Irish that moved there for some reason, or looking at how they came from being a war mongering empire building nation to being a complete democracy allowing country's like N.I and Scotland independence if they so wish. Or in a recession increasing foreign aid to 12billion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

OneArt wrote: »
    Swaziland. Where cannabis grows everywhere and your mother waters them because of the "lovely flowers".
    Infact, **** the British, I am changing my answer to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Sweden.

But only in summertime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

It's a hard one but I'd have to say it's Somalia, well, it's my kinda place, however,

if you're NOT into drought, famine and disease, fighting for or against warlords and militias, dealing with currupt politicians, willing to join Islamic jihad or be a pirate looting ships in international water than it's probably not for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Tbf America does have the whole multiracial thing going well.

But keep on the America bashing, it certainly makes us feel better about our little rock in the sea:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Papua New Guinea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Jan Hus

Stop this all you narrow minded people. As a cosmopolitan I would have to say the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Jan Hus

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Tbf America does have the whole multiracial thing going well.

But keep on the America bashing, it certainly makes us feel better about our little rock in the sea:P
    I hate to generalise but Americans in my experience tend to lack basic intelligence. This is after all the nation of Sarah Palin, she is fairly representative of most Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

America.

Well they certainly like to think they are. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

gallag wrote: »
    Why did you watch it is the question? Why the Irish have such an obsession with all things British I will never know. Also, did they wrongly clame any inventions or are you just disgusted at the self obsession while interested enough to watch it lol.

You could of said the British for other reasons, for being a good home to millions of Irish that moved there for some reason, or looking at how they came from being a war mongering empire building nation to being a complete democracy allowing country's like N.I and Scotland independence if they so wish. Or in a recession increasing foreign aid to 12billion.

Part of the "obsession" ( which in this thread is one post) is because they were pretty bad running Ireland. Your post misses the other stuff, as late as the 60's the empire was engaging in ethnic cleansing and mass killings against independence movements. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Jan Hus wrote: »
    I hate to generalise but Americans in my experience tend to lack basic intelligence. This is after all the nation of Sarah Palin, she is fairly representative of most Americans.

yes, they are all idiots......won't be long before they starve to death......on the moon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Part of the "obsession" ( which in this thread is one post) is because they were pretty bad running Ireland. Your post misses the other stuff, as late as the 60's the empire was engaging in ethnic cleansing and mass killings against independence movements. .

does that hurt......??????

nobody else outside ireland seems bothered.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement