Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest Nation on Earth

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

endacl wrote: »
    Singapore isn't a nation. It's an economy.

I think you'll find it is a nation and has been for half the length we have been a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Madam_X wrote: »
    I don't get the impression the Japanese are proud of those atrocities, but apparently the general sentiment towards them is indifference, which isn't too great either.
    Britain is so ethically diverse I would really suspect the jingoism is mostly an older generation thing.

I dunno i mean they're Just after finishing their part in The two largest wars on the 21st centuary aren't they?still seem way to militaristic for my liking.anyway here's a prime example of the type of thing that impresses me about the japs http://www.kal01.com/2012/04/haruka-nishimatsu-a-real-life-hero/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I would say Russia until I found out that Russia have been genetically modifying animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I think Michael Cain says it all ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Rasheed wrote: »
    So true, every country has had their own problems whether past or present. Look at Greece, their rich culture, history and beautiful scenery. They are having their problems but they'll survive.

The giving out about ones own country, even on the other thread, 'Things you notice when you come back to Ireland', drives me soft.

If you hate it that much, fcuk off and go to these 'great places' you've come from instead of pontificating about the state of here.

I've actually found Irish people to be some of the worst people for complaining about their own country. You honestly would never hear the British or the Spanish or Americans or Germans (even given all they've been through and put everyone else through) coming out with some of the stuff that Irish people come out with with regards to their own country, culture and people. Yes, it's important to criticise otherwise nothing with ever change, but it's also important to acknowledge the good things about the nation too. We have a lot to be proud of historically and culturally, and yet so many Irish people have an attitude that borders on self-loathing.

Jan Hus wrote: »
    Apart from Chomsky ( and I'll concede for the sake of an argument ) Crick and Watson, what can America, a nation of 400m people boast. ( I can only speculate on how lpng a list fpr England would be)Besides my point was that the vast majority of Americans are stupid, not all. A very narrow percentage escape the bounds of genetic determinism. ( and they are mostly first gen immigrants)

You are very silly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Rascasse wrote: »
    The Japanese have an awful reputation for racism and xenophobia though. Hopefully something that changes over time.
    plus they treated their prisoners horifically in WW2, inc hundreds of Irish people who ended up being starved / mistreated. Go and look at the military graveyard in Kanchaburi in Thailand ( not far from the border with Burma ) and see lots of headstones of young men, some of whom had Irish surnames. Every sleeper on the railway line laid claimed the life of a prisoner of war...many Australian, British and Dutch, but also asian etc.
    Still, you have to admire the Japanese for producing so many world class leading products / brands today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think you'll find it is a nation and has been for half the length we have been a nation.
    On paper, yes indeed it is a nation. It has a flag and everything. Try living there for a yearthough, and see if your opinion remains the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

I've actually found Irish people to be some of the worst people for complaining about their own country. You honestly would never hear the British or the Spanish or Americans or Germans (even given all they've been through and put everyone else through) coming out with some of the stuff that Irish people come out with with regards to their own country, culture and people. Yes, it's important to criticise otherwise nothing with ever change, but it's also important to acknowledge the good things about the nation too. We have a lot to be proud of historically and culturally, and yet so many Irish people have an attitude that borders on self-loathing.

To a certain point I regard this recent Irish development as a good thing. If you want to improve something or revolutionize something then the first thing that you should expect to happen is large scale moaning and outrage.
    You'd swear large scale child abuse, political coruption,..... were new phenomenons in Ireland with all the moaning about the subjects the last few years. The reality is that it probably went on throughout Irish history on a large scale but its only recently that Irish people have opened their eyes to it, confronted and started working to resolve the problems.

I view all this **** hitting the metaphorical fan as a teething process. And listening to Irish people moaning about everything is probably a lot better than looking at them rampaging through the streets, throwing bricks at riot police, promoting political turmoil/instability and making no progress at all. As seems to be happening in Greece. Or as happened in other revolutions like the French one back however long ago it was.

But yeah I have to agree its hard on the ears listening to moany Irish people day after day after day :D A lot of people need to grow a pair of balls, stop moaning constantly about everything in this country, think a bit more positively, and work to get the show back on the road. You didnt hear the Germans moaning after their country was destroyed after WWII and the Brits just got on with the job after WWII also. And they had it tough as rocks for about 20 years.

• Advertisement

Justin1982 wrote: »
    To a certain point I regard this recent Irish development as a good thing. If you want to improve something or revolutionize something then the first thing that you should expect to happen is large scale moaning and outrage.
    You'd swear large scale child abuse, political coruption,..... were new phenomenons in Ireland with all the moaning about the subjects the last few years. The reality is that it probably went on throughout Irish history on a large scale but its only recently that Irish people have opened their eyes to it, confronted and started working to resolve the problems.

I view all this **** hitting the metaphorical fan as a teething process. And listening to Irish people moaning about everything is probably a lot better than looking at them rampaging through the streets, throwing bricks at riot police, promoting political turmoil/instability and making no progress at all. As seems to be happening in Greece. Or as happened in other revolutions like the French one back however long ago it was.

But yeah I have to agree its hard on the ears listening to moany Irish people day after day after day :D A lot of people need to grow a pair of balls, stop moaning constantly about everything in this country, think a bit more positively, and work to get the show back on the road. You didnt hear the Germans moaning after their country was destroyed after WWII and the Brits just got on with the job after WWII also. And they had it tough as rocks for about 20 years.

That's what I mean. Obviously we should be critical and it's better to talk this stuff out than smash up the place, but there is a serious lack of positivity among Irish people. There's a whole lot of bitching but no actual solutions or suggestions being put forward, and that's the difference with countries like Germany or the UK - they say, 'yes we f*cked up, now how are we going to fix it?' In Ireland, it's just a whole bunch of people going 'f*ck this country and everyone in it' and then doing nothing about it. I just find that Irish people seem to see ourselves in a much worse light than we actually deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

That's what I mean. Obviously we should be critical and it's better to talk this stuff out than smash up the place, but there is a serious lack of positivity among Irish people. There's a whole lot of bitching but no actual solutions or suggestions being put forward, and that's the difference with countries like Germany or the UK - they say, 'yes we f*cked up, now how are we going to fix it?' In Ireland, it's just a whole bunch of people going 'f*ck this country and everyone in it' and then doing nothing about it. I just find that Irish people seem to see ourselves in a much worse light than we actually deserve.
    Probably because this is the first real crisis Ireland has had to face on its own as an independent country. Countries like Britain and Germany have a long long history of major national disasters so they can appeal to their history as a source of inspiration or for an example of how to get through it.
    Ireland doesnt really have this treasure trove of experience.

Ireland's fall from grace was fairly unbelievable. Going from one of the richest countries in the world to one of the most indebted in the flick of a finger. Its still hard to believe even for even those who understand the dynamics of how it happened. I'm sure a lot of people feel disillusioned or helpless if their lives have changed dramatically. Cant imagine too many people got much of a toughening up during the Celtic Tiger to help them face life in the slow lane :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

They still don't acknowledge what they did in China , never mind apologise.

Imagine having a mass in Cologne Cathedral today for convicted Nazi's in full uniform.

Japan is so much more than that. Also only some leaders choose to go to visit the shrine , which is actually a remembrance for ALL their war dead and not in anyway comparable to a NAZI memorial. They are simply not into PC for the sake of PC. They do things their own way. The fact is that Japanese of all types died during WWII and other wars, and they are not going to forget them even if some of them did terrible things.

Yes the government should have made restitution to the people that they hurt, but we can pick out issues with pretty much every country.

Probably because this is the first real crisis Ireland has had to face on its own as an independent country. Countries like Britain and Germany have a long long history of major national disasters so they can appeal to their history as a source of inspiration or for an example of how to get through it.

Ireland's fall from grace was fairly unbelievable. Going from one of the richest countries in the world to one of the most indebted in the flick of a finger. Its still hard to believe even for even those who understand the dynamics of how it happened. I'm sure a lot of people feel disillusioned or helpless if their lives have changed dramatically. Cant imagine too many people got much of a toughening up during the Celtic Tiger to help them face life in the slow lane :cool:

It was never one of the richest, it was AND is one of the most heavily indebted. There is a big difference. This actually worries me that people still can't figure this out.

Well, we have a history of being pretty poor. Our booming prosperity was pretty short-lived, so it's not like we're not used to hardship - my parents would have lived through economic difficulties and would not have known true prosperity until the Celtic Tiger. We can't look back at our history of dealing with difficulties because our default reaction to these situations seems to be to just emigrate, unlike other nations who seem to just stick it out and cope.

One of the greatest nations, and it pains me to say it (as I don't want to give them an even bigger head), is South Korea. Went through a terrible civil war, experienced poverty and famine and then dictatorship right up until the 1980s. Asian financial crisis in the 90s. To pay back the IMF faster citizens willingly provided their gold. Their currency was devalued almost half overnight. Came back stronger than ever and is a real powerhouse of a country in many fields.

Vietnam and the Vietnamese simply for going through an awful war and coming through the other side without hatred in their hearts.

• Advertisement

Madam_X wrote: »
    And you love Japan?! Look up Naanking Massacre and the film Men Behind The Sun. Keep a puke basin at close proximity. And don't look up the state's apology/acknowledgement because you won't find it.

That said, I wouldn't blame a nation today for atrocities committed decades or centuries ago. A nation's history does not define it in its entirety.

Look up the history of the United States. Look up the history of most nations for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

maninasia wrote: »
    One of the greatest nations, and it pains me to say it (as I don't want to give them an even bigger head), is South Korea. Went through a terrible civil war, experienced poverty and famine and then dictatorship right up until the 1980s. Asian financial crisis in the 90s. To pay back the IMF faster citizens willingly provided their gold. Their currency was devalued almost half overnight. Came back stronger than ever and is a real powerhouse of a country in many fields.

Vietnam and the Vietnamese simply for going through an awful war and coming through the other side without hatred in their hearts.

Apart from the fact they occupy every tourist attraction in the world with several groups of 20+ people nattering like crazy and following some crazed leader with a flag who has no idea where he is going.

I don't agree on everything that goes on here either, I not of the opinion that it's some utopia.

But if another prick comes near me in town, with a tan and a put-on accent preaching how they 'this' thing is so much better in 'that' country and how we should do things like the French/Americans/Chinese etc, I'll fcuking blow.

To come home with this air of superiority because they have gone further than Santa Ponza and prefer the way things are done there, good, off with ya then and stay there.

I don't think you understand whats going on.
    For many of us long term Irish emigrants, we have learned and taken in different ways of doing things in our adopted countries. We have seen some things done worse, and some done better.
    So when going back to Ireland, it's natural to feel that some things could be improved with a change here and there. In fact it's blindingly obvious, but not obvious to people who have not experienced or seen these things for themselves.

It's like the way Irish people like black tea with milk and sugar and stick to a couple of 'Irish' brands. In fact there are 100s of different types of teas that they may well like better if they tried them. But they've already made their minds up. Even though they have never tried different types of tea or having the tea any other way.

Unfortunately people don't like being told there is a better way to do things. It's like being told you need to have a shower because you smell. It doesn't tend to go down very well. That's why I tend to keep my mouth shut and move swiftly on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Look up the history of the United States. Look up the history of most nations for that matter.
    I only mentioned those things because the person was saying Japan is great but they dislike the UK/US because of what they've done in the past.

What has "pc" got to do with people objecting to the lack of Japanese state apology/acknowledgment though? And in fairness, no, very few nations have a history of doing stuff like the Naanking Massacre. Your "look at most nations" recommendation is disingenuous to say the least. Those who tortured and raped and experimented on and murdered (you say "hurt" - understatement of the millennium) should not be honoured and it's pretty unbelievable that you view such an outlook as "pc". You obviously admire Japan greatly but you can do that without glossing over what its state/military did 70 years ago and the lax attitude towards same today. Can you imagine how painful such indifference must be for the survivors...?
    As I said, I don't think today's Japanese should be held accountable for what happened in WWII (hate that stuff - blaming the wrong people is so dangerous) but it's not too much to ask that the state recognises the extent if the horror and admit to it, rather than being indifferent and almost in denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

no such a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Tbf America does have the whole multiracial thing going well.

But keep on the America bashing, it certainly makes us feel better about our little rock in the sea:P

tbf people think they have it bad here.... you havent seen poverty till u have been some parts of the states.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 KuntFace

United Kingdom are the greatest nation on earth due to their history of having the greatest empire in history and are still a major world power

• Site Banned Posts: 18 sink_or_swim

KuntFace wrote: »
    United Kingdom are the greatest nation on earth due to their history of having the greatest empire in history and are still a major world power

that view might depend on whether you country benefited from the empire ( new zealand, australia ) or suffered as a result of it , much of africa , india , ireland

its a question which cannot be answered objectivley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I don't think you understand whats going on.
    For many of us long term Irish emigrants, we have learned and taken in different ways of doing things in our adopted countries. We have seen some things done worse, and some done better.
    So when going back to Ireland, it's natural to feel that some things could be improved with a change here and there. In fact it's blindingly obvious, but not obvious to people who have not experienced or seen these things for themselves.

It's like the way Irish people like black tea with milk and sugar and stick to a couple of 'Irish' brands. In fact there are 100s of different types of teas that they may well like better if they tried them. But they've already made their minds up. Even though they have never tried different types of tea or having the tea any other way.

Unfortunately people don't like being told there is a better way to do things. It's like being told you need to have a shower because you smell. It doesn't tend to go down very well. That's why I tend to keep my mouth shut and move swiftly on.

I do understand. I've been away and worked in three different countries on three different continents. I understand that this country needs to improve things and this has to happen from the top down.

But I never came back from these places and talked down to people about how 'stupid' they were for putting up with whatever I have seen done better in other countries.

It stinks of superiority and I'm sick of it. As other people have pointed out, a country can only grow by their citizens seeing what needs to improve and encouraging it to be implemented.

But to come home, talking down to people about the 'magnificence' of some country compared to here and how they loved it so much, fine, go back and don't burden yourself with how horrific here is.

I love living here. It's far from perfect but in my opinion, it's not half bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

North Korea!
    I hear its amazing, according to their press the food is plentiful, the education is fantastic, they are devoid of poverty and our weather is controlled by their leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Reindeer. Don't mind all the high tech guff. Settle the other ongoing debate. Are you indigenous to Iceland or not?

People want to know.

Sorry, Bud. I'm not indigenous to Iceland, though I do wander about Iceland aimlessly hoping to run in to Bjork before I lose my antlers in winter.

The truth is I was heading for Miami. I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Canada, they gave us Rush.
    They gave us Celine bleedin' Dion too...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Norway,Sweden,Denmark and Finland,say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

Ah Ireland is a lovely place to be when we have a nice summer...
    It'd be a lovely little country if we could only roof it!

Norway,Sweden,Denmark and Finland,say no more.
    These would be nations. You're only allowed one. Commit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Good, hope that British citizenship is rushed through because you're fcuk all use here to anyone with that mentality.

I'm not anti British or think that Ireland is the greatest nation. But it's my nation and I love living here.

Changing citizenship because of disagreeing with the government and their policies is like changing the football team you support because of a bad season.

I can see far better reasons to abandon your citizenship. I love Ireland, and would love to be a citizen so I could remain here more often.

I see corruption as a reason to stay and fight it, not a reason to flee. Sure, everyone loves a good protest, anyways.

As for greatest country - though this is going to upset Iceland, I personally would have to choose Greece simply because they were the cradle of western civilization. And they gave us that '300' film. Which, coincidentally, gave us something to shout whilst protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

But they're all so fap-tacular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Probably Brazil. They literally all have lovely bottoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

KuntFace wrote: »

In terms of influence and the dominance of the English language yes. Now they are a spent force having lost pretty much all of their empire, they are no longer the workshop of the world and are now a lap-dog of the United States.

Then Norway:DMy homeland

Then Norway:DMy homeland
    Except for all the trolls...

Except for all the trolls...

They only go for Christian blood;)I am an Atheist.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Scandanavia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Malta.

Compact & Great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

In terms of influence and the dominance of the English language yes. Now they are a spent force having lost pretty much all of their empire, they are no longer the workshop of the world and are now a lap-dog of the United States.

So they were bad and evil for having an empire, but without one they're a spent force, and because they are a rich nation and labour costs are too high they aren't the workshop of the world, so being wealthy in general is also bad....:confused:

ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Vietnam - They kicked the flip out of anybody that tried to oppress them and then got on with life.

2nd place goes to Cambodia that got the flip kicked out of them and then got on with life.

Then Ireland, we just got the flip kicked out of us, kind've half got over it and are just after gettin the flip kicked out us again - but I still love it

Advertisement