Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AXA cancelled my policy over LPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Alright Mugs!! sheesh, Once would have been enough :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

123.ie wouldn't insure my car without an engineers report because it had "non-standard" alloys, so it doesn't surprise me that an LPG conversion would result in a cancelled policy.

It seems like the underwriters set a list of requirements and the insurance companies are frighten senseless of anything that wasn't on the car leaving the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

These days you're dealing with call agents sitting in front of computer screens which dictate the response to any question and the golden rule is: if in doubt, the answer is 'no'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doheny2000

I asked Aon(AVIVA policy) my insurance company for a quote for LPG Conversion cover. The fella on the phone didn't know what I was on about, went away for 10 mins and came back to say AVIVA don't cover LPG conversions but yet the OP seemed to have the option of cover with a LPG conversion with AVIVA??
    Will have to contact AVIVA myself tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 easyja

Stinicker wrote: »
    I recently converted my car to LPG with VV-Tech, lpg.ie in Kilcullen and they did a great job and I have been saving away a nice share of money on the fuel costs.

I rang Axa this week to notify them of the conversion for to have it added to the policy and they cancelled my insurance instead. Running a car on LPG makes no difference to engine performance and the car is a dual fuel car which still runs on Petrol at the drivers discretion.

The insurance from May 2012 to May 2013 was €370 through a broker with Axa and now they have cancelled it despite that the car is now actually safer as it runs on a safer fuel with less explosion risk.

My broker is now trying to rob me blind wanting to change me to a new policy with Aviva costing €650 per year, the car is worth less than that.

I wonder what are my options for they cancelling over this "Modification" they are treating this as a Modification even though it makes no difference to the cars performance etc.

My car was converted to autogas 2 weeks ago.
    I didn't have any problem with AXA. They needed Certification only. When I took my car from LPGAIN they gave me certification. Really any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

easyja wrote: »
    My car was converted to autogas 2 weeks ago.
    I didn't have any problem with AXA. They needed Certification only. When I took my car from LPGAIN they gave me certification. Really any problems.

Interesting perhaps Axa had put some special T&C's on the insurance which was sold to me by my (former) broker.

Interesting perhaps Axa had put some special T&C's on the insurance which was sold to me by my (former) broker.

my wife's car insured with 123.ie - same conversion centre gave us certification - no problems at all. For PSV vehicles only, it may cause problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

My broker is now trying to rob me blind wanting to change me to a new policy with Aviva costing €650 per year, the car is worth less than that.

One point on the above. I'm a broker. I can tell you nearly for sure that your broker is not trying to rob you. He WANTS to sell you the best policy because it is in his best interest (commission, repeat business, happy customer etc). He has no control over the underwriters decision so i would guess his hands are tied. In these irregular situations, on the system I use in work, Aviva and Axa are usually the only companies that will quote for modifications to a car. Since Axa cancelled your policy it is possible that Aviva was the only company actually quoting on his system.

The insurance premium being more than than what the car is worth is irrelevant, if you crash in to someones brand new Merc, it is going to cost them a lot of money to pay out. Even worse, if you knock someone over it could go over the million mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

CiniO wrote: »
    Yes - tank is pressurized, but it would have to be really severe accident to make this tank unseal or explode.

dont like the idea that its making it safer.

lpg tanks are made heavyer and stronger because lpg is highly explosive and if ruptured its no longer pressurized so turns from liquid to a gas very fast and any source of ingition and a huge explosion.

less likely to rupture than petrol but if it does youv got a hell of a bang

corkgsxr wrote: »
    dont like the idea that its making it safer.

lpg tanks are made heavyer and stronger because lpg is highly explosive and if ruptured its no longer pressurized so turns from liquid to a gas very fast and any source of ingition and a huge explosion.

less likely to rupture than petrol but if it does youv got a hell of a bang

before Autogas tank explodes, the impact force of trucks for example will kill you making marmalade from yourself :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

before Autogas tank explodes, the impact force of trucks for example will kill you making marmalade from yourself :confused:

Ah but life can throw a spanner in the works, what about a piercing force rather than crushing

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Ah but life can throw a spanner in the works, what about a piercing force rather than crushing

theoretically machine does not fly, but it flies. In practice, the petrol tanks exploded a thousand times, but about LPG tanks somehow, little is known. Could millions of people who use this all over the world conspired in silence??.

my wife's car insured with 123.ie - same conversion centre gave us certification - no problems at all. For PSV vehicles only, it may cause problems

I spoke today to the person who converted my cars. He said €100 is the additional cost of PSV vehicle for the Engineers Certificate, so there is no problem as well. sorry for previous text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sorel

I spoke today to the person who converted my cars. He said €100 is the additional cost of PSV vehicle for the Engineers Certificate, so there is no problem as well. sorry for previous text

if no secret-who converted your car?.

sorel wrote: »
    if no secret-who converted your car?.

Tallaght centre

I can't believe. Lpgain in Tallaght give out 300 liters autogas for everyone. - a shock to me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I can't believe. Lpgain in Tallaght give out 300 liters autogas for everyone. - a shock to me!!!

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Schilltastic! ;)

LPGAIN sells autogas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Did the OP speak directly to AXA or the broker. I have daily dealings with all the major insurance companies at work, and I find AXA the most helpful and best trained.

• Advertisement

being honest my car insured with AXA. they need certificate from gas conversion garage only...I have a plan to convert my car this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

How do No Nonsense Insurance view LPG? FBD are the underwriters. Any LPG drivers insured with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I got a silly quote when I told my insurer a car I wanted to buy is LPG plus they wanted me to pay to get it certified.
    I asked the seller who he was with and he said it's not on the books as being LPG. Since there's no tax reduction or grant he didn't register the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

They also charge extra for certification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You did an LPG conversion on a car worth less than €650 ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

bbam wrote: »
    You did an LPG conversion on a car worth less than €650 ??

Yes, the car is in great shape and with my mileage it will pay for itself.

They also charge extra for certification.

LPGAIN doesn't charge for certification for insurance company. PSV and Taxi drivers needs "Engineers Certificate". there is something about it here "There is additional cost of €100 for the Engineers Certificate / PSV and TAXI Drivers only /"

Best way to find out : ask someone who converted car with them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Funny I got my modified car(suspension,audio,bodykit,brakes, interior +Hx of Cat D write off) insured through Axa one of the few companies that would take it on as new business. It seems Axa dont care about mods as long as you pay them for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Tallaght centre

Hi.

Did you get approval from 123.ie prior to getting it converted. Waiting to hear back from Bestquote.ie re approval for getting it converted in Tallaght, noticed both are underwritten by RSA.

Update: Called today by Bestquote. LPG Conversion is covered with no additional premium.

Thanks
    Peter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

If a petrol car had failed NCT on emissions, would it pass if converted to LPG ?

Advertisement