Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads who are not interested in sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭ronjo

Do guys who are not into sport play computery games such as FIFA or whatever else there is ??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ronjo wrote: »
    Do guys who are not into sport play computery games such as FIFA or whatever else there is ??

I'm an avid gamer but find sports based games intensely boring, and even puzzling to be honest. While I can understand why some people like to get into football passively I can't see how it passes over to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm not even a big gamer (haven't had a console in 5 years and the last one was a Wii used mainly for the Bowling and Tennis games that came with it) and I have to admit, I'd take a game of Pro Evo or even Championship Manager over watching a premier league match any day of the week...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

saiint wrote: »
    please tell me your interested in playing the xbox or ps3 :d cause if not you really have no interest in anything in life

Yeah, I've been playing games on consoles and PCs since 1993, but I don't like any sports based games or multiplayer shooters. Other than that all I like is reading about how the Universe works, with black holes and the theory of relativity all that kind of stuff. Just can't get my head around all the physics involved but love reading about it.

After that I have no real interest in anything. When people ask me what music I'm into I can't answer them. Or going to gigs and concerts, I don't listen to music or even have an MP3 player. That people find strange than not being into any sport at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

After that I have no real interest in anything. When people ask me what music I'm into I can't answer them. Or going to gigs and concerts, I don't listen to music or even have an MP3 player. That people find strange than not being into any sport at all.

Indeed! If you're not into sports and not into music then it's very difficult to connect with the average Irish person. I do like some music but I really dislike going to gigs, I just find being surrounded by so many people difficult to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭gerarda

I used to work with a bunch of lads who were soccer and gaa mad (I have no interest in either whatsoever) and it used to drive me mad becuase thats all they talked about at lunch time. They used to look at me like I had 3 heads when they asked: 'Did you see the game last night'? And I would reply: 'No - I was out cycling- I have no interest in football'. They developed their own little clique and completley stopped talking to me - was so happy to get a new job!! I remember jersey day where you could were your team/county jersey, I wore my Discovery Channel cycling jersey!! -annoyed the sh*t out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm an avid gamer but find sports based games intensely boring, and even puzzling to be honest. While I can understand why some people like to get into football passively I can't see how it passes over to games.

Don't knock what you don't understand.

From reading your posts in this thread you seem to be just as prejudiced against people who play sports as peepingtom is against people who don't play sports.

From reading your posts in this thread you seem to be just as prejudiced against people who play sports as peepingtom is against people who don't play sports.

I don't remember Doctor DooM claiming people that play sports "aren't lads", had a pityful upbringing and never knew the touch of a woman so I think your claim of equivalency fails.

• Administrators Posts: 53,706 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm not a gamer and I don't like sports either. I don't know if I quite qualify as a 'lad' though in fairness. I hate the word and everything that goes with it.

• Advertisement

Don't knock what you don't understand.

Nope, I have no problem with people who play sports, or are even interested in them. My issue starts the second someone insults someone else who doesn't share their pass times. The only time this comes up, however, in day to day life, is from rabid sports fans (not players. In general, I find, those that do are rarely those that judge). It's anecdotal, but an occasional peculiarity of life for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭castor 1

somefeen wrote: »
    I'd actually say a man with no interest in cars whatsoever is rarer than one with no interest in sport, but still not that unusual.

I have no interest in cars whatsoever though am interested in almost all sports !

My wife is the car expert in our house and I leave her to it !

I exaggerated but none the less there does seem to be some prejudice here against people who play sports by people who don't, I've met a few people who were big into music who had chips on their shoulders when it came to people who played sport claiming they were boring and uneducated neanderthals, not too dissimilar to what's going on in this thread.

I think people have been very careful about how they express themselves on this thread (with one notable exception) so it would be a bit unfair to compare them to other more unreasonable opinions you've heard elsewhere and directly equivocate with someone that's being aggressively ignorant.

There's nothing especially different about people interested in sports versus people that are interested in anything else - they build their self esteem around that interest and try to denigrate those that don't share it. People interested in a particular band will do the same that don't like their band, people interested in a particular games console and so on.

What does differentiate sports from other interests is that in Ireland it's so pervasive you risk being a cultural outsider if you don't share it. Your interest in xbox versus PS3 or one band versus may another could lead to minor confrontations on the internet but not being into sports has the potential to affect many aspects of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ok folks, I've deleted the troll's posts and any replies to him, to deny him the oxygen of publicity. and he has been sitebanned.

thread reopened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

ronjo wrote: »

I play neither. Nothing against those that do, mind. I watch some sport and have attended some sporting fixtures over the years but I get my pleasures elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

From a female perspective, I have to say unless he had so many other boxes ticked, if I met a guy who had zero interest in sport, I doubt I would be interested in the long run. It's not because it makes him any less of a man, it's just because it's such an important interest of mine.

I also think if a man has zero interest in sport, he's less likely to be into fitness and I think keeping fit is very important for both men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

From a female perspective, I have to say unless he had so many other boxes ticked, if I met a guy who had zero interest in sport, I doubt I would be interested in the long run. It's not because it makes him any less of a man, it's just because it's such an important interest of mine.

I also think if a man has zero interest in sport, he's less likely to be into fitness and I think keeping fit is very important for both men and women.

I have no interest in sport but walk and jog a few times a week when I can. being into movies and games doesnt mean someone just sits on the couch all the time, I work in an office so try to get out a few nights a week even for a 30-45min walk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

You can be health conscious and fit without having an interest in sport, tbf.

Not me, mind. I'm slovenly and glued to my Wee box or whatever you call it. ;)

krudler wrote: »
    I have no interest in sport but walk and jog a few times a week when I can. being into movies and games doesnt mean someone just sits on the couch all the time, I work in an office so try to get out a few nights a week even for a 30-45min walk

Yeah I know it doesn't always necessarily mean your less fitness-conscious but in general it's just what I've found with both men and women.

I also find people with no interest in sport don't realise how much exercise they really should be doing; i.e. they think a 10minute walk every other day is enough exercise. Different topic for a different day anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I wouldn't care if a guy had no interest in sport
    if I met a guy who had zero interest in sport, I doubt I would be interested in the long run.

:)
    Why wouldn't you support your national team in any sport

Bejaysus you have to be born somewhere on the planet.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Thing is I don't have an interest in sport or drinking so I've little in common with the majority of people.

You're unique. Just like me!

I think it's funny that in a discussion about manliness and sport, the idea of commitment hasn't come up. I mean I get the willies at the thought of being so committed to, say, F1 that I have to always make sure I have to be at a time and place to not miss it. Yet when it comes to other forms of commitment, I wouldn't bat an eyelid!

Personally, I have no interest in sport but a major passion for cars and motorbikes. I always joke that my only concession for blokey behaviour is for motors, and it if wasn't for that, I'd just sit around talking about my feelings all day!

Speaking of sport and commitment...

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think it's funny that in a discussion about manliness and sport, the idea of commitment hasn't come up.

One thing that's always fascinated me is how emotionally invested get watching a game of sport on TV. I've known people that could turn a sports channel, watch two random teams play some random sport and end up shouting at the TV and jumping up and down.

I just don't know how to get there! Books, movies and TV can tweak my emotions by drawing me in and getting invested. But a sports game? Even one where you have no connection to the team?

:)

Sorry, should have clarified. I wouldn't care if a guy had no interest in sport if we were friends. I would probably if it were to turn into something more. Same way, I would probably care if a potential boyfriend had zero interest in music, as that is also very important to me.

Bejaysus you have to be born somewhere on the planet.

Don't understand what you're getting at there.

Don't understand what you're getting at there.

If Ireland were in the Tiddlywinks World Cup final, how many would truly make the effort to support the team? The fact that it's the national team in some international competition holds no more interest to me.

Personally, I just don't see the interest in team sports. I can appreciate the personal triumphs of Rory McIlroy or Katie Taylor etc but I don't feel a particular need to support them any more because they originated from the same land mass as I did. In other words, I won't be a fair weather fan of any team just because it's 'my' team. geographically or otherwise.

If Ireland were in the Tiddlywinks World Cup final, how many would truly make the effort to support the team? The fact that it's the national team in some international competition holds no more interest to me.

Personally, I just don't see the interest in team sports. I can appreciate the personal triumphs of Rory McIlroy or Katie Taylor etc but I don't feel a particular need to support them any more because they originated from the same land mass as I did. In other words, I won't be a fair weather fan of any team just because it's 'my' team somehow.

Fair enough. I personally think that's very sad that someone wouldn't support their fellow countrymen in sporting achievements but each to their own.

Fair enough. I personally think that's very sad that someone wouldn't support their fellow countrymen in sporting achievements but each to their own.

I didn't see you at the airport when the Irish team came home from the World Game Cup in Cannes this year... or does this only apply to sports/ games that are popular? Or ones you like?

Where do you draw the line?

I didn't see you at the airport when the Irish team came home from the World Game Cup in Cannes this year... or does this only apply to sports/ games that are popular? Or ones you like?

:rolleyes: The word 'support' doesn't mean you have to turn up at the airport to greet the Irish team, or that you have to queue up for hours on end to meet an Irish footballer signing his autobiography etc. etc.

I have an interest in most sports but I don't particularly like hockey. I might watch the Irish team play if there was nothing else on but I would support the team - as in I would want them to win and do well over any other team and would be happy to hear if they did well in an international competition.

Well put. I'm not wishing anyone harm here. I devote my time and energy to things that interest me.

:rolleyes: The word 'support' doesn't mean you have to turn up at the airport to greet the Irish team, or that you have to queue up for hours on end to meet an Irish footballer signing his autobiography etc. etc.

I have an interest in most sports but I don't particularly like hockey. I might watch the Irish team play if there was nothing else on but I would support the team - as in I would want them to win and do well over any other team and would be happy to hear if they did well in an international competition.

I fail to see how that's actually supporting anyone?

Support implies doing something to help.

Of course I would like all Irish sport teams to do well. I just don't enjoy sports, so I am not going to waste time following it. I'm not going to say I've supported them, because I haven't. I'm happy for them when they win though.

sounds a bit like the thing were people refer to English football teams as "we", to me :)

I fail to see how that's actually supporting anyone?

Support implies doing something to help.

:rolleyes: Don't be so pedantic. Is somebody watching every single Irish rugby match on tv at home "doing something to help"?
    Of course I would like all Irish sport teams to do well.

There you go. So would I. My argument is I fail to see how anyone wouldn't want Irish sport teams to do well. I don't understand people who aren't happy about the successes of, for example Katie Taylor or somebody who wouldn't see Ireland winning the World Cup as a great achievement
    I just don't enjoy sports, so I am not going to waste time following it.

Fair enough. Like I said before, I don't care if someone isn't into sports. Each to their own.
    sounds a bit like the thing were people refer to English football teams as "we", to me :)

Think what you like but I will support any Irish sportsman/woman or team. The same way I will support any Irish scientist or researcher or inventor etc.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Don't be so pedantic. Is somebody watching every single Irish rugby match on tv at home "doing something to help"?

There you go. So would I. My argument is I fail to see how anyone wouldn't want Irish sport teams to do well. I don't understand people who aren't happy about the successes of, for example Katie Taylor or somebody who wouldn't see Ireland winning the World Cup as a great achievement

Fair enough. Like I said before, I don't care if someone isn't into sports. Each to their own.

Think what you like but I will support any Irish sportsman/woman or team. The same way I will support any Irish scientist or researcher or inventor etc.

So... you support them by thinking happy things and not actually doing anything?

I actually think it's silly to support someone just because they're Irish. I'd rather support someone because they're a good person, or want to achieve good.

Advertisement