Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads who are not interested in sport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

So... you support them by thinking happy things and not actually doing anything?

I actually think it's silly to support someone just because they're Irish. I'd rather support someone because they're a good person, or want to achieve good.

You failed to answer my question.

Somebody who watches every single Irish rugby match on tv, wears the jersey, discusses the matches down the pub etc.

I doubt you wouldn't call them an avid rugby supporter but by your logic, they're not because they're not "doing anything to help"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You failed to answer my question.

Somebody who watches every single Irish rugby match on tv, wears the jersey, discusses the matches down the pub etc.

I doubt you wouldn't call them an avid rugby supporter but by your logic, they're not because they're not "doing anything to help"

He's bought the jersey so he has financially contributed to the continuation of the team so yes, he has supported them in a meaningful way.

I fail to see how discussing the matches or watching the tv in a pub is in any way supporting them.

He's bought the jersey so he has financially contributed to the continuation of the team so yes, he has supported them in a meaningful way.

I fail to see how discussing the matches or watching the tv in a pub is in any way supporting them.

Ok, then clearly we are on two completely different mindsets. If you think that someone who has a passion for Irish rugby and watches every single match and wants Ireland to win, enjoys the sport, follows it religiously etc. If you think they aren't an Irish rugby supporter than I will bow out as there's no convincing you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

There you go. So would I. My argument is I fail to see how anyone wouldn't want Irish sport teams to do well. I don't understand people who aren't happy about the successes of, for example Katie Taylor or somebody who wouldn't see Ireland winning the World Cup as a great achievement

Somewhere in London today an Irish person landed their dream job and started on the road to the career they always wanted.

Someone else lost their job and is worrying about how to pay the bills tonight.

All along the East of the US there's thousands of cases of heroism, tragedy, struggle and triumph.

Other people are working late tonight trying to cure disease or process just one more test result hoping it'll make a difference to someone.

Those are the types of things that matter to me. I'm happy for Katie Taylor and everyone else but I find them unremarkable and unnotworthy, particularly in relation to the unrecognised efforts of so many others that make real measurable differences in other people's lives.

Katie Taylor? Never heard of her before the Olympics and not much heard about her since. I'm glad she did well but I don't really understand why everyone was suddenly obsessed with her while someone like this that's pushing forward human understanding goes unnoticed.

sharper wrote: »
    Somewhere in London today an Irish person landed their dream job and started on the road to the career they always wanted.

Someone else lost their job and is worrying about how to pay the bills tonight.

All along the East of the US there's thousands of cases of heroism, tragedy, struggle and triumph.

Other people are working late tonight trying to cure disease or process just one more test result hoping it'll make a difference to someone.

Those are the types of things that matter to me. I'm happy for Katie Taylor and everyone else but I find them unremarkable and unnotworthy, particularly in relation to the unrecognised efforts of so many others that make real measurable differences in other people's lives.

Katie Taylor? Never heard of her before the Olympics and not much heard about her since. I'm glad she did well but I don't really understand why everyone was suddenly obsessed with her while someone like this that's pushing forward human understanding goes unnoticed.

Oh for goodness sake...

The topic at hand is sport. Does supporting Irish sportsmen and women mean you can't also care about the issues you highlighted above?

Bloody hell...

• Advertisement

Oh for goodness sake...

Oh for goodness sake yourself.

You're claiming to not understand people and not understand their behaviour. When I explain mine and how I see sport as unimportant relative to other things you dismiss it as somehow offtopic and irrelevant.
    Does supporting Irish sportsmen and women mean you can't also care about the issues you highlighted above?

Actually yes it does. There's a finite number of hours of in the day and people have a finite amount of energy. If you're going to tell me you care equally about all issues I'm not going to believe you.

You choose how to spend your limited time and you choose how to spend your limited energy. You choose to spend it on sport.

Oh for goodness sake...

The topic at hand is sport. Does supporting Irish sportsmen and women mean you can't also care about the issues you highlighted above?

Bloody hell...

We're trying to point out to you why the things you care about so much don't really seem so important to someone who doesn't care much about sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 sha the man

i refuse to watch any sport that is not hurling and gailic football and even then i dont watch much of them either. the funniest thing happened to me one night a guy came up to me all serious like "i'm a republican" he says and he is wearing a man city jersey and scarf. when i asked him about that fect he just walked off disgusted. i really do not how people can support English teams. i was driving though a small village the other day when i actually saw a Manchester united flag flying over a gaa pitch i mean wtf like

• Administrators Posts: 53,706 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Oh for goodness sake yourself.

You're claiming to not understand people and not understand their behaviour. When I explain mine and how I see sport as unimportant relative to other things you dismiss it as somehow offtopic and irrelevant.

Actually yes it does. There's a finite number of hours of in the day and people have a finite amount of energy. If you're going to tell me you care equally about all issues I'm not going to believe you.

You choose how to spend your limited time and you choose how to spend your limited energy. You choose to spend it on sport.
    We're trying to point out to you why the things you care about so much don't really seem so important to someone who doesn't care much about sport.

Ok then, forget sport. Let's say somebody is interested in anything. Pick absolutely anything. Let's say you have a passion for art. Am I going to ride in on a high horse and say "Oh well I don't care about art. I'm too busy caring about starving kids in Africa"

This occasionally pops up in discussions on boards.ie and it's very disappointing to see people stoop that low in arguments. You know absolutely nothing about me. I love sport but I have very little time for it at the moment. I spend a lot more time doing volunteer work than I do going to football matches for example, although I love football.

MOST interests can be seen as "unimportant relevant to other things" :confused:

OF COURSE, any sort of sporting achievement is irrelevant to world hunger, natural disasters around the world, our current economic climate, cancer research, the amount of homeless people in Ireland at the moment etc. etc.

I mean REALLY? At first I was annoyed at this discussion but now it's just laughable.

• Advertisement

Ok then, forget sport. Let's say somebody is interested in anything. Pick absolutely anything. Let's say you have a passion for art. Am I going to ride in on a high horse and say "Oh well I don't care about art. I'm too busy caring about starving kids in Africa"

This occasionally pops up in discussions on boards.ie and it's very disappointing to see people stoop that low in arguments. You know absolutely nothing about me. I love sport but I have very little time for it at the moment. I spend a lot more time doing volunteer work than I do going to football matches for example, although I love football.

MOST interests can be seen as "unimportant relevant to other things" :confused:

OF COURSE, any sort of sporting achievement is irrelevant to world hunger, natural disasters around the world, our current economic climate, cancer research, the amount of homeless people in Ireland at the moment etc. etc.

I mean REALLY? At first I was annoyed at this discussion but now it's just laughable.

You're the one who called people who don't support sport very sad.

Why are you now calling people who dispute this laughable? You can't blame people you labelled as sad for defending themselves.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't be interested in sport, that you're not allowed to be interested in sport or that you should be more interested in other things.

You're perfectly entitled to be interested in whatever you like.

Though remember you don't feel the same way, you think it's a "bit sad" that someone wouldn't share your interest and you judge other people by whether they share it.

What I feel is strange is the overwhelming interest in sport by the population as a whole relative to other things. Yes if everyone was overwhelmingly into art I'd still be saying "Sure art is nice and all but it really seems like a big universe out there, is art really important enough to crowd out everything else?".

You're the one who called people who don't support sport very sad.

Why are you now calling people who dispute this laughable?

Nope, I didn't say that.

I don't think your sad, I think it IS sad that people aren't happy of Irish achievements, be they on the sporting field or scientific of of charitable nature.

It doesn't take up any hours of the day to be proud of having the worlds best female boxer in our country. If you have no interest in attending a boxing match I couldn't care less.

It similarly, doesn't take much time if you were to read in the papers that an Irish scientist found a cure for a particular disease, that you would be happy (and before you start, of course you'd be happy regardless of whether their Irish or not, but nonetheless it is a great achievement for an Irishman/woman).

I think it's disappointing when on boards that people resort to jumping on high horses and to the whole "oh I care so much about x y and z. you clearly don't". Thankfully, don't see it too much but it does happen.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't be interested in sport, that you're not allowed to be interested in sport or that you should be more interested in other things.

You're perfectly entitled to be interested in whatever you like.

Though remember you don't feel the same way, you think it's a "bit sad" that someone wouldn't share your interest and you judge other people by whether they share it.

Once again, I couldn't care less if you've no interest in sport. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. What I think is a "bit sad" is when people aren't proud of Irish achievements.
    What I feel is strange is the overwhelming interest in sport by the population as a whole relative to other things. Yes if everyone was overwhelmingly into art I'd still be saying "Sure art is nice and all but it really seems like a big universe out there, is art really important enough to crowd out everything else?".

It doesn't really bother me what interests people have. I think it's nice that people have an interest in something, be that sport of music or volunteer work or something. I think it makes for a very healthy, happy mind. If what you're implying is that it would be great if, for example, the media chose to focus on more pertinent issues than sport, than I would agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,840 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It doesn't bother me if a guy doesn't like sport as I have an interest in music so that would usually cover the small talk business. However, I don't think I could ever seeing myself settle into a serious relationship with a guy who has zero interest in football (soccer).

I also don't see guys who don't play sport or have an interest in it as any less manly either.

Nope, I didn't say that.

I don't think your sad, I think it IS sad that people aren't happy of Irish achievements, be they on the sporting field or scientific of of charitable nature.

It doesn't take up any hours of the day to be proud of having the worlds best female boxer in our country. If you have no interest in attending a boxing match I couldn't care less.

It similarly, doesn't take much time if you were to read in the papers that an Irish scientist found a cure for a particular disease, that you would be happy (and before you start, of course you'd be happy regardless of whether their Irish or not, but nonetheless it is a great achievement for an Irishman/woman).

I think it's disappointing when on boards that people resort to jumping on high horses and to the whole "oh I care so much about x y and z. you clearly don't". Thankfully, don't see it too much but it does happen.

What you said was this.
    Fair enough. I personally think that's very sad that someone wouldn't support their fellow countrymen in sporting achievements but each to their own.

You said it was sad for someone not to support sport. Specifically sport.

Then you said watching it on tv would be supporting it. So people who don't watch something they've no interest in despite it involving someone from the same island is being very sad?

Surely it's just being honest with themselves.

What you said was this.

You said it was sad for someone not to support sport. Specifically sport.

Yup. An Irish sporting achievement is one type of Irish achievement. Maybe the reason that my post was about specifically sport, is because the topic is about "Lads not interested in sport"?
    Then you said watching it on tv would be supporting it. So people who don't watch something they've no interest in despite it involving someone from the same island is being very sad?

Once again, if you don't think someone regularly watching for example the Irish football team on tv, isn't an Irish football supporter than I won't ever convince you so excuse me for glossing over this point as I don't think there's any use in going around in circles.

Also once again, I said I don't care if you don't watch the sport or follow it regularly. You don't have to invest any time into it if you don't want to. But if you bumped into Katie Taylor tomorrow would you walk away or would you congratulate her in her achievement? Would you be happy that we have a world famous boxer or not?

Going back to the scientific example, most people don't read scientific research but if an Irishman found a cure for a disease, you don't have to have read the research paper to have been proud of his achievement. Again this is a bad example for me as I probably would read the article as I'm interested in that type of thing.

Going back to the scientific example, most people don't read scientific research but if an Irishman found a cure for a disease, you don't have to have read the research paper to have been proud of his achievement. Again this is a bad example for me as I probably would read the article as I'm interested in that type of thing.

Here's the point.

Would you consider someone who didn't sad? Would you go on a forum and call people that?

I bet not, but you did so for sport. Why is it acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So it is "sad" to not "support" sport because of patriotism reasons even if we have no interest in the sport concerned?

Is the thread about sport or patriotism?

cantdecide wrote: »
    So it is "sad" to not "support" sport because of patriotism reasons even if we have no interest in the sport concerned?

Is the thread about sport or patriotism?

In my experience, the two are usually linked in this context, but I am sure you knew that already :)

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    ...However, I don't think I could ever seeing myself settle into a serious relationship with a guy who has zero interest in football (soccer)...

Someone else said this on thread too and frankly, I think it comes off as slightly narcissistic. I might be alone on this but there's no hobby or interest in life that a potential partner must share in order for a relationship to work. I don't demand that a girl be able to change a clutch on a Ducati 916 in order for me to start seeing her. Isn't a bit if diversity better than a clone?

I think we're all a bit sensitive to the "sad" comment owing to the countless times we've been judged by random people for not being all that into the sporting event of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

OP,

Watch from 8 mins onwards on this clip. Give you a better understand mabey?

In my experience, the two are usually linked in this context, but I am sure you knew that already :)

You mean if you don't follow gaa, you're a commie?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I fail to see how discussing the matches or watching the tv in a pub is in any way supporting them

Its the same as people who refer to a team as "we", "we" won the match, you did? really? yes you sitting on your couch watching the tv was really what swung it in the teams favour. They couldnt have done it without you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

If I was a girl I couldn't think anything more unattractive than a lad who lives for a sunday down at the 'boozer' with 'the lads' to watch super sunday in a United shirt while guzzling pints.

krudler wrote: »
    Its the same as people who refer to a team as "we", "we" won the match, you did? really? yes you sitting on your couch watching the tv was really what swung it in the teams favour. They couldnt have done it without you.

That is exactly my point, I don't get it at all.

I understand people have a natural desire to belong. I competitively play a game (not a sport) and when it's played as a team you of course have an overriding desire not to let your side down. It's a great feeling when you don't.

Same as being in a band, I feel great moments of camaraderie there, and it's a nice feeling. We're social animals, after all.

I guess if you don't actually play a sport, but love it, claiming a team as your own from an armchair is the nearest you get.

• Administrators Posts: 53,706 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    It's "we" in the sense of "this is the team I support", not that you actually did anything.

People that go to the game don't take part either.

You don't have to be on the team to use "we".

It's 2012, long gone are the days when supporting a team consists only of going to the game at 3 oclock on a Saturday (in the case of football).

"Support" by sitting at home or in the pub and watching doing them no good at all. The people who attend have at least paid entry and perhaps can help with moral support in cheering. There is no support in sitting at home or the pub watching a match, and nothing sad about not doing so, tbh. This is what we were just saying we find so weird.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,362 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

"Support" by sitting at home or in the pub and watching doing them no good at all. The people who attend have at least paid entry and perhaps can help with moral support in cheering. There is no support in sitting at home or the pub watching a match, and nothing sad about not doing so, tbh. This is what we were just saying we find so weird.

Of course there is. It is creating a demand for the sport that ultimately determines how much Revenue the Sport gets and therefore how professional or not the sport is. If every one in Ireland wanted to go to a pub to watch a certain women's hockey team for example then advertisers would be desperate to associate their name with that team therefore making the team wealthy. Why are Man Utd one of the wealthiest teams in the world? It is not due (solely) to the people who have an active involvement but mostly to those who watch the adds between halves, buy the merchandise etc etc. While I agree that saying we for a club which you have no natural connection to is a bit dumb but if it gives people a sense of contentment and belonging then let them.

Advertisement