Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 To New York 2013 (Manhattan??)

Options
  • 27-10-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey everyone,
    So myself and a group of friends are considering heading over to NYC for the J1 next summer, and I keep insisting that we live in Manhattan. Yes, I've heard it before, its one of the most expensive places in the world to live in, but is there any particular neighbourhoods that have been popular with J1ers? I've read that places like Murray Hill, Upper West Side, Greenwich Village are generally affordable, but to be honest I don't really have a clue.
    Any ideas would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Redmonn7

ClassicE15 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    So myself and a group of friends are considering heading over to NYC for the J1 next summer, and I keep insisting that we live in Manhattan. Yes, I've heard it before, its one of the most expensive places in the world to live in, but is there any particular neighbourhoods that have been popular with J1ers? I've read that places like Murray Hill, Upper West Side, Greenwich Village are generally affordable, but to be honest I don't really have a clue.
    Any ideas would be appreciated

Hey me and a friend are heading over and would be interested in sharing a place if u get one, trying to keep the accommodation on the cheap! Cheers x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

When I was there I lived in Harlem for a while, it is a majority black neighbourhood obviously but we never had any problems there. it was me and my girlfriend and we didnt have one problem while living there. There was j1 students dotted around it and we didn't hear any bad stories from them! Obviously we all hear the stories of Harlem being dangerous and all that but we were grand and if your intimidated by being the only white person than it may not be for you, it is in manhattan however which is what you want!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

ClassicE15 wrote: »
    I've read that places like Murray Hill, Upper West Side, Greenwich Village are generally affordable

What would you think an average monthly rent to be affordable?
    IMHO Greenwich and UWS may be too expensive for you.

Get an idea of rental prices from http://www.streeteasy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I don't know how much money you have or will be making over there but unless you're living in Harlem or thereabouts it will be VERY expensive and difficult to get a place. Even Williamsburg/ Greenpoint and other nicer places in Brooklyn are very expensive unless you're making good money.

Getting a place anywhere in NY for a J1 is difficult because most places want people for at least a years lease and then there's the credit scores that they usually want to check beforehand.

I was on a J1 there last year and we were fortunate to get an apartment in Astoria in Queens, which is a great area and pretty handy for getting into Manhattan too. It's the likes of there I would suggest ahead of Greenwich village or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 meesh140

I don't know how much money you have or will be making over there but unless you're living in Harlem or thereabouts it will be VERY expensive and difficult to get a place. Even Williamsburg/ Greenpoint and other nicer places in Brooklyn are very expensive unless you're making good money.

Getting a place anywhere in NY for a J1 is difficult because most places want people for at least a years lease and then there's the credit scores that they usually want to check beforehand.

I was on a J1 there last year and we were fortunate to get an apartment in Astoria in Queens, which is a great area and pretty handy for getting into Manhattan too. It's the likes of there I would suggest ahead of Greenwich village or wherever.

Hey I'm looking into NYC for this summer. Just wondering if you could be so kind and PM me your landlords details and how much the rent was n how many of you were staying there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

There's no harm in being in a suburb like Queens or even across the river in Jersey......the public transport is good enough to get you into manhatten whenever you like.......your subway pass will cost a whole lot less than the difference in rent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

your subway pass will cost a whole lot less than the difference in rent.

About $100 a month for the unlimited subway pass. I usually spend about $60 a month on transport.

And now I'm off to Brooklyn to visit some apartments :)

Aye the metro pass is great to get each month. You get plenty of use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kelleynangle

hey guys, im heading over on my own and im in college in carlow from mullingar, female 22, i have 2 jobs lined up at the minute and hope to have more soon. i have one in woodside and one in long island and hope to have one in brooklyn soon too so if ye are thibking about getting somewhere in any of these locations let me know.

add me on facebook either http://www.facebook.com/kelley.nangle

so super excited!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

uhmm I would suggest Harlem, Washington Heights, Woodside, Astoria, Long Island City, Alphabet City. I'm not overly familar with areas in Brooklyn but I know Williamsbug,bedford etc are v. expensive so steer clear. I lived in maspeth/woodside with family, was lucky cos I didn't find a job until the middle of july. If people suggest woodlawn NO just stay away it's too far out.

NY is becoming more and more popular with J1ers so there's more competition, found it impossible to find work in bars/restaurants without nyc experience. Got a job in a shop in times sq eventually, $9 dollars an hour. don't know how people can afford to pay rent on that, I was lucky I didn't have to. Good few irish people worked where I worked, think they lived in Washington heights, I would definitely recommend washington heights or harlem if you wanna live in manhattan, although living in manhattan isn't particularly better than the other boroughs at all.

also really loved queen, it's more chilled and less 'cool' than brooklyn although I would have lived in brooklyn either. Only problem with queens was it's a bit dead for nights out but we just used to jump a bus to brooklyn or head into the city although it would have been nicer to live somewhere more going outy, there was lots of irish pubs in woodside but they were a bit dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 kelleynangle

i have to go where the work is and i have found plenty already so im happy. thank god! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Probably should have mentioned I had nothing sorted going over. Good luck guys new york is amazing, sometimes I hate the fact that I don't live there anymore :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

it is in manhattan however which is what you want!

Geographically yes, but it's not the Manhattan which people would expect if you've never been to New York. Although, supposedly there has been a big drop in crime in the area.

You are saving nothing in subway fares by being in Manhattan. You pay the exact same if you are going one stop or 40 stops.

hey guys, im heading over on my own and im in college in carlow from mullingar, female 22, i have 2 jobs lined up at the minute and hope to have more soon. i have one in woodside and one in long island and hope to have one in brooklyn soon too so if ye are thibking about getting somewhere in any of these locations let me know.

add me on facebook either http://www.facebook.com/kelley.nangle

so super excited!!!!

Seems to me like Woodside, Astoria, Long Island City would be the sort of areas you should try looking at. Brooklyn too if you could manage to get a spot in Williamsburg or Greenpoint but it's generally more expensive.

How did you manage to get so many jobs if you don't mind me asking? Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mrsbrightside

Hiya, myself and a friend, both female, are also heading over this summer, flying out May 28th. We've been in touch with alot of real estate people about apartments and housing, and our budget is about 650 per person a month based on 4 people sharing. We've found a good few apartments in central midtown Manhattan for this price. As it's not an awful lot cheaper to live in Brooklyn we would prefare to be as central as possible.

We've also been e-mailing many bars and restaurants and have been told that many are expecting to hire alot of students in early may and june.

If any other irish students are interested in sharing mail us :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

For Brooklyn also try Greenpoint, Prospect Park, Park Slope. Williamsburg is almost as expensive as some Manhattan places. You'll see cheaper on Craigslist for "East Williamsburg". This is jargon. "East Williamsburg" is really West Bushwick, a much less nicer place to live!

Check out these Safety Maps, compiled by New Yorkers.
    Manhattan https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214504384267441423605.0004ba5a7f79fcde52894&msa=0&ll=40.790939,-73.959961&spn=0.246932,0.614548

Brooklyn https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214504384267441423605.0004ba596b18ce79adab1&msa=0&ll=40.648346,-73.940048&spn=0.247461,0.614548

Queens https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214504384267441423605.0004ba59fe4d28b309238&msa=0&ll=40.68949,-73.861084&spn=0.247309,0.614548

• Registered Users Posts: 2 valerie_mirth

hey im heading over to new york aswel.. you going over solo..what dates you going heading over.. im going over by myself aswel.. i dont have any jobs set up yet or accommodation.. u find some where??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mrsbrightside

Hi, so as already posted myself and one girl are going to NY on May 28th. We want to stay as central in Manhattan as possible, many people recommending to do so as it's not actually alot cheaper to live outside the city.
    Have bar-work sorted, should be easy to get if you don't have a job sorted yet, many places told us they're hiring in early summer.

We're looking for 3 or 4 people to share a 3 bed apartment with in central manhattan.
    Because we don't have a particular apartment in mind yet we don't have exact costs, but looking around 3500$ max per month between 6 people.

Message me on facebook if your interested ASAP x

https://www.facebook.com/Emmabbzzzz

Advertisement