Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goshawks in Wicklow?

• 27-10-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys, was just wondering if anyone knows if there's been any sightings of goshawks in Wicklow recently.

I was driving through rural east Wicklow today (near Brittas) and came across a raptor perched on a telegraph pole. It was about the size of a buzzard but grey rather then brown, and seemed too bulky to be a hen harrier. It had a mottled belly, and also seemed too grey to be a female sparrowhawk (which tend to be browner than the males if I'm not mistaken).

Could it have been a goshawk?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Possibly an immature Peregrine? Sizewise they'd probably be similar enough to a Goshawk, smaller than a Buzzard I'd say, but definitely bulky. They'd be a grey/brown colour on the back and the chest would be more mottled than a fully mature Peregrine! And there's definitely Peregrines in Wicklow.

Goshawk is a possibility if it escaped from a falconer in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Saurophaganax

Possibly an immature Peregrine? Sizewise they'd probably be similar enough to a Goshawk, smaller than a Buzzard I'd say, but definitely bulky. They'd be a grey/brown colour on the back and the chest would be more mottled than a fully mature Peregrine! And there's definitely Peregrines in Wicklow.

Goshawk is a possibility if it escaped from a falconer in the area!

Hi OpenYourEyes, thanks for the reply

I can say with 100% certainty that it wasn't a peregrine of any age. It was slate grey in colour and had definite yellow eyes, which peregrines don't have. I've seen wild peregrines before, and though breathtaking, they didn't match the description of the bird I saw.

It was either a large sparrowhawk or a goshawk. While the former is much more likely, it seemed to me too grey to be a female sparrowhawk and yet too large to be a male. It was definitely larger than a crow, and male sparrowhawks rarely exceed crows in size, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Funny you say that, I was near Brittas today myself and also seen a massive bird. Was wondering what it could be. Was a brownish colour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

and male sparrowhawks rarely exceed crows in size, do they?

Nope, you're right there! Possibly an escapee Goshawk so, would be interesting to find out!

Possibly an escapee Goshawk so, would be interesting to find out!

I hope not. Would be so much cooler if it was a wild goshawk - a great addition to our wilderness...

• Advertisement

BrianDug wrote: »
    Funny you say that, I was near Brittas today myself and also seen a massive bird. Was wondering what it could be. Was a brownish colour.

It could have been the same bird, although what I saw was definitely more grey than brown. Maybe you saw a buzzard? They certainly seem to be thriving in Wicklow/Dublin these days; I always see them perched on lampposts or circling over the motorway. A wonderful sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

That goshawk is possibly the same one I seen weeks back
    There is one up there that was lost by a lad in bray few months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

bogtreader wrote: »
    He said it was grey
    My female Harris hawk doesn't have any grey on her
    She's dark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Fair point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

It didn't have to be an escapee goshawk.... They're very rare but there is a small number in the wild here. And if I remember correctly, Wicklow has the most forest cover of all the counties and goshawks like mature woodland so it should be one of the more likely places to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I saw this on Birdwatch Irelands Facebook page yesterda, funnily enough

"Great excitement just now here at BirdWatch Ireland's Kilcoole office - a Goshawk just dashed through our car park . . . quickly followed by the falconer who owns it frantically trying to catch it!"

They probably are escapees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Walking in woodland in North Kildare a few weeks and got a short glimpse of a large dark brown (back and upper side of wings all that I could see) raptor taking off from the ground from a small clearing.
    I didn't see it for more than a second or two but it seemed to be much bigger than the buzzards I see frequently.
    Would it have been a juvenile Goshawk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,748 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Rosahane wrote: »
    Walking in woodland in North Kildare a couple of weeks and got a short glimpse of a large dark brown (back and upper side of wings all that I could see) raptor taking off from the ground from a small clearing.
    I didn't see it for more than a second or two but it seemed to be much bigger than the buzzards I see frequently.
    Would it have been a Goshawk?

Female Goshawks would be roughly the size of a female buzzard so probably not. Buzzards would have bigger wings too. Possibly a juvenile kite?? TBH the "size" of certain birds can appear variable according to angle of view, quality of lighting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd say it was a buzzard.

I'd say it was a buzzard.

Very probably. However I'm quite familiar with the buzzards - I see them most days - and this looked much bigger. I'd say it was more Red Kite size but but I dont suppose they have made it that far from Wicklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

There was an immature female Gos lost in Kildare earlier this year that I don't think was ever recovered. Tail bells would have been lost during the moult. Dave

https://www.facebook.com/BirdWatchIreland/posts/10152012907256643

There was an immature female Gos lost in Kildare earlier this year that I don't think was ever recovered. Tail bells would have been lost during the moult. Dave

https://www.facebook.com/BirdWatchIreland/posts/10152012907256643
    Was also one lost in Wicklow last year spotted by myself amongst others at grey stones exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 IrishDerbyfan

Walking in woodland in North Kildare a few weeks and got a short glimpse of a large dark brown (back and upper side of wings all that I could see) raptor taking off from the ground from a small clearing.
    Harrier?

Harrier?

Having looked at photos I wouldnt think so. Wrong habitat, this was in Donodea Forest - mixed woodland surrounded by farmland.

Looking at the photos and sizes and trying to relate to what I saw I think the best fit is a Red Kite. I only saw it for a second or two and checked for prey where it took off (there was none) but got a perspective on size from the spacing of the trees.
    I saw its back and wings from about 30 yards as it flew away. I'd say wingspan was about 5 feet. It was pretty universally reddish brown, maybe some black. I didn't spot the tail shape.
    The only other possibility that I can see is a golden eagle. Now that would be news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

If you were to see a Hen Harrier taking off from behind, you should see a very obvious white band above the tail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Hen Harrier have generally a slow gliding flight at a low enough altitude. Goshawk have a rapid exploding flight.

Hen Harrier have generally a slow gliding flight at a low enough altitude. Goshawk have a rapid exploding flight.

I'm fairly certain at this stage that it wasn't a goshawk ...wishful thinking when I read the thread I'm afraid.
    Apologies for my inadvertent hijack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Beach Buggy

There are a few pairs of Goshawks in the midlands but their location is a closely guarded secret.

Advertisement