Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded to Windows 8 - useful tips / hardware?

Options
  • 27-10-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I decided to take a leap of faith and bought windows 8 yesterday. I'm still trying to get over the initial shock; it's all very very different. I must say I really do like the ui, so hopefully I'll get used to it.

What I can't get over though is how neglected I feel using it with a keyboard and mouse. I think I'll need to get a touchscreen / touch mouse to really use it as intended.

I use a yamakasi catleap 27" monitor. Would you recommend any touchscreen upgrade/alternative or accessories?

I read that there are touch mice and touch pads which have been optimized for use with windows 8. Has anyone tried these? I'd love to hear your thoughts/recommendations.

Finally, I also have an Asus g53 3d laptop which I might upgrade to windows 8. While it's a 3d screen, it is of poor quality and I've been thinking of upgrading it for some time. Where would I begin to look for a good quality 3d vision compatible touchscreen for a laptop? I have no experience replacing laptop screens, so any advice there would also be very much appreciated!

Looking forward to getting home tomorrow and working my way around the OS. I've heard there are relatively significant performance gains in 3d applications - this being one of the main reasons I chose to upgrade, I hope that ends up being the case!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i know the best upgrade you could ever do to your system now m8 - buy windows 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I found it really easy to use on a non-touchscreen laptop.
    I'll be installing it on my PC as soon as my motherboard arrives.

It was a bit ungainly at first but I got used to it quite quickly. After a day or two it was pretty much like I'd always been using it.

I think the difference is far more trivial than all the pomp would suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I built a new HTPC 2 months ago and have been running Winodws 8 Release Preview with no drawbacks. I was able to buy an upgrade from W8 Release Preview to W8 Pro for €29.99. This is without having a Windows 7 licence or any other windows licence, now that's a bargain if you ask me. The only problem I had was that applications did not transfer and I had to re-install everything, a small sacrifice considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

i know the best upgrade you could ever do to your system now m8 - buy windows 7!

I don't know. The 30 euro for an upgrade is tempting me a little ShadowHearth but, fixing something that is not broken is holding me back. The whole metro style, no aero, no start menu is also holding me back. I'll see how it pans out though. I have til the end of January to decide anyway.

I don't know. The 30 euro for an upgrade is tempting me a little ShadowHearth but, fixing something that is not broken is holding me back. The whole metro style, no aero, no start menu is also holding me back. I'll see how it pans out though. I have til the end of January to decide anyway.

here. For me Windows 7 just works... its great. its like windows perfected to do what i need. its stable at it too. I dont want to cluster**** my PC, with stuff i dont need.

I vote with my wallet. no sale to me, i like my windows the way it is and as long as it is supported ill stick to old good 7. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

The metro ui is going to take some getting used to. That said, I really do like the look of it and there is some nice functionality on show.

It apparently beats windows 7 in gaming and general performance, plus it also has the typical windows desktop so I figured it would be the best of both worlds. I really do need a touch pad or something to make use of the metro interface though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

here. For me Windows 7 just works... its great. its like windows perfected to do what i need. its stable at it too. I dont want to cluster**** my PC, with stuff i dont need.

I vote with my wallet. no sale to me, i like my windows the way it is and as long as it is supported ill stick to old good 7. ;)

And this is why people still use windows 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,385 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I wouldnt give MS another cent from me after what they did to CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Does anyone know if windows 8 pcs will work with linux ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Jumboman wrote: »
    Does anyone know if windows 8 pcs will work with linux ?

One of the requirements of systems preloaded with windows 8 is that the UEFI will only accept OS with valid security keys to run.

http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-linux-adopts-new-uefi-boot-problem-approach-7000004648/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

N64 wrote: »
    One of the requirements of systems preloaded with windows 8 is that the UEFI will only accept OS with valid security keys to run.

http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-linux-adopts-new-uefi-boot-problem-approach-7000004648/

Does that mean its locked to windows forever ?

Well, as that article says, if another OS uses the same key as windows 8, then you will be able to use it.

Just another reason why I hope windows 8 fails :mad: I hope they get stung with another antitrust case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭tritium

sink wrote: »
    I built a new HTPC 2 months ago and have been running Winodws 8 Release Preview with no drawbacks. I was able to buy an upgrade from W8 Release Preview to W8 Pro for €29.99. This is without having a Windows 7 licence or any other windows licence, now that's a bargain if you ask me. The only problem I had was that applications did not transfer and I had to re-install everything, a small sacrifice considering.
    I thought you needed a valid previous windows edition for the upgrade, no? Is this a legit upgrade or is there some trick in there?

tritium wrote: »
    I thought you needed a valid previous windows edition for the upgrade, no? Is this a legit upgrade or is there some trick in there?

No trick, just download the Win8 upgrade assistant and away you go. I've heard it works with the Consumer Preview and the Release Preview but not the RTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

guys whats the best way to install win8 without loosing my files and games ?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/25/3557076/get-windows-8-upgrade-for-14-right-now

Even though the metro UI sucks ass, I am soo tempted to get it for €15 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

If the computer in question had a qualifying full OEM/Retail Windows version on it, then it should be OK.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows-8/terms-conditions
    Upgrade software

Each upgrade license applies to only one PC and you can install the upgrade only on PCs that have a valid base license and one of the following operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP (SP3). Which version of Windows am I running?

For more information about Windows 8, including system requirements, see Upgrade to Windows 8 FAQ. You should also visit your PC manufacturer’s website for information about how to upgrade your PC to Windows 8, including any updated software and drivers.

For example if you had a PC which never had a Windows license of any kind on it, and installed the Win 8 Consumer Preview on it you wouldn't be able to avail of the upgrade promotion.

vard wrote: »
    The metro ui is going to take some getting used to. That said, I really do like the look of it and there is some nice functionality on show.

It apparently beats windows 7 in gaming and general performance, plus it also has the typical windows desktop so I figured it would be the best of both worlds. I really do need a touch pad or something to make use of the metro interface though.

so....

It needs an extra hardware to navigate new OS comfortably. So i guess old good fashioned mouse + keyboard is not good for that anymore. How stupid is it to make an OS, which will force you to buy new input hardware to navigate it.
    Better performance in gaming... i would really love to see how small it is. the only thing it can do is use less ram, but we are all already overfilled wit it and using ram as paletknifes for butter as it is cheap as chips.

what MS wants to do is to make a standart OS, which would be very similar between phone,tablet and PC. So that any dummy, who can use a phone could use PC. Plus to have a bigger grip on software, so to have a cut from each program out there. ( they did not had enough balls to completely lock it up with win 8 and they knew nerds would have MS head on a silver platter for that ).
    I just wish that Valve would sort out that **** and come up with something. if they will manage to make their own OS or make Steam fully usable and operating on linux - i am gone.

I entered my netbook (which should not be eligible since its using w7 starter) and it worked :eek: Might use the key on my desktop PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Huh I didn't decide to go for , just got it with a new laptop the other day, I thought would come with the 7 :eek:

I could use some tips too because maybe I'm missing something which could improve usability on a normal laptop?

Right.. here is my little user experience of Windows 8

I see touchpad playing a big role here because Windows 8 REALLY makes the most sense when used with fingers. Not necessary need of Touchscreen but Touchpad functionality has to be top notch so you can.. feel it you know. That's how it's designed I guess.

OK it's not good that mouse and keyboard are secondary pointing devices in 8, but I don't mind learning more of swiping and touching as long as it's 99% of the time performed smoothly - in every program or app!

After using Windows 8 for 2 days now, I will go back to 7.

My vote goes for a traditional Windows windows UI (like XP or 7) rather than 8's full screen windows UI (Metro).
    Yes you can switch between open programs with Alt + Tab as usual but you can't resize windows and arrange them next to each other. There is nothing in right upper corner like Minimize, Resize and Close. (Or am I maybe missing some setting here somewhere??)
    Seriously, I'm using Alt + F4 to close things! Right-click brings some more options but very few. Another example,it took me quite some time to find browser's internet options :P

Also related, missing Windows tool and task bars at the bottom of the Start screen.

IT does come with so-called normal mode with traditional windows and the toolbar down there but then it doesn't have START button there neither. I need Start-button-ish corner where I can browse thru Programs, links and settings!

Instead of Start button, when you bring your cursor to the left bottom corner, it opens full screen Start page with tiles, it completely goes to Metro Start mode. I don't like it. I would rather keep my other eye on the road whilst searching for things in small area in the left bottom corner, ala Windows 7 style.

Anyhoooo......there's some good

First impression was :eek: positively surprised. Good feeling about Start page and Tiles. And first impression is the most important right?

Even I go back to 7 now, I can still imagine myself installing Windows 8 in a few months time. I guess want to wait and see how well Microsoft will listen to us and maybe figure out some way to integrate more of a traditional Windows functionality into Windows 8 UI. Like with SP1 possibly.
    Also various hardware drivers should get better.
    Probably software updates need to etc.
    Not sure about how games work. Will try Steam later. Hopefully HD4000 graphics is good enough for F1 2012, or 2010 at least.

Yeah my first impression was good. Not in a way it's something totally new but rather because it's in on a par with other modern systems like iOS and Android 4. Somehow feels good that, such a dinosaurs like Microsoft, has come up with a smooth trendy OS which first startup took only 5 minutes (laptop out-of-box) and voila! your good to go.. your good to stare at Live Tiles :D I didn't touch anything for a long couple of minutes, just swiped right-left few times and watched them Tiles jumping and updating relevant information -tiles are fantastic idea.

Windows 8 apps are awesome looking, full screen optimized with a lot of information accessible just swiping without clicking much. Me like. For example can't remember last time I browsed so much of weather information/stats/graphs :D and all of this is available in a few seconds from starting up the app.
    News app is another great one.

Didn't try so many apps but if all other were even similar, all good here.
    Notice that many apps require to login with your Hotmail Microsoft whatever account (calendar, mail...)

After using Windows 8 two days, would say it needs some more tuning to smoothen up things even more in certain situations but nothing serious wrong. Nothing crashed or showed errors anyway.
    Small hiccups can't be hardware performance related (Core i5 and 4Gb 1600mhz RAM here). I guess these could be resolved with hardware vendors drivers update in a time to come.

Internet Explorer 10 needs some serious updates. What a legend browser really, you can always trust it doesn't fully perform :rolleyes:

I'm sure Windows 8 experience could be better with some fancy piece of hardware, like maybe some good multi-button-swipe mouse and/or keyboard thingy, or a laptop with touchscreen, but that's not the point. I don't want to invest into new hardware and I'm sure millions of existing traditional laptop users won't neither.

At least, have to admit, it doesn't cost much to buy 8. I see various situations where people get it for 15, 30 or 50 euros. And that's affordable!

Conclusion

From light entertainment point of view (browsing web, watching videos and photos, listening to music) 9/10

From advanced PC user point of view 7/10.

All in all, it's a bit of Gangnam style OS - crazy mix of funky and less funky things. Have to see if they would come up with more convenient second version, possibly and hopefully, with SP1.
    Dunno I guess I would like it to have Windows 7 as a primary UI for all kind of tasks and Metro UI would be behind some handy button so I can switch to it when watching a movie OR when wanted to get all my Live feeds (News, weather, facebook, youtube, emails, stocks etc.) updated quickly.

• Advertisement

If the computer in question had a qualifying full OEM/Retail Windows version on it, then it should be OK.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows-8/terms-conditions

For example if you had a PC which never had a Windows license of any kind on it, and installed the Win 8 Consumer Preview on it you wouldn't be able to avail of the upgrade promotion.
    That doesn't seem to be sinks point though (though it was also my understanding). Maybe sink can clarify if this was installed onto a new build or was there oem software there first?

That doesn't seem to be sinks point though (though it was also my understanding). Maybe sink can clarify if this was installed onto a new build or was there oem software there first?

Brand new motherboard/cpu/ram, reused ssd that had previously had win7 installed in another computer which I formatted before putting it in this PC. I installed win 7 for a day just to make sure everything was working fine, no product key was entered, then I formatted and installed win 8 release preview and have been running it for 2 months.

AFAIK Microsoft goes by the motherboard when registering a product key and this motherboard has never been linked with a product key besides the release preview one.

sink, you tried to run Upgrade assistant, on both 8 RTM and 7 Trial?

see what is says..

I got for 15 euro and have it saved on a bootable USB. Thanks N64 for the link. I'm not going to install it, but it's there if I decide to at a later date. To be honest, I doubt I will. I don't like or want the metro look and I don't think I should have to install third party apps(start8) to hack around it.

Can confirm that Steam and F1 2012 are working fine on Windows 8 x64 (out-of-box laptop Core i5-3317U / HD4000)

@ 1280x600
    Average FPS 32 minimum FPS 26

@ 1366x768
    Average FPS 30 minimum FPS 23

=all settings @ Low or Medium. Shadows Ultra Low. Particles High.

Another positive surprise of this portable piece of hardware, and Windows 8 compatibility.

Test performed after Windows got updates earlier today.
    CPU @ 2-2.55Ghz
    RAM 4Gb 1600Mhz
    HDD is slow 750Gb 5400Rpm 14ms.

[
    F1 2012 Minimum System Rquirements

*Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
    *Memory Ram: 2 Gb
    *Hard Disk Space: 15 Gb free
    *Video: 256 Mb @ nVidia GeForce 8600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
    *Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
    *DirectX: 9
    *Keyboard / Mouse

]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Tried the developer preview for a bit, and the consumer preview for less. Wasn't really impressed with either, to be honest. Yes, the under-the-hood changes are great, and Win7 should get them (but it won't) it's just that Microsoft philosophy seems to be that if you want your juicy steak, you have to smother it in dog sh!t first. I don't want a steak that badly.

If someone happens to make a Win7iser for Win8, then I might upgrade, but given that I've got retail copies of Win7, I don't want to be tied down to OEM versions again (pain in the balls when upgrading).

Just tried to install over the preview and seems to work fine as per sinks instructions. No previous licence ever on this self build but I seem to qualify for win 8 for €29.99. Nice! Thanks to sink

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Serephucus wrote: »
    Tried the developer preview for a bit, and the consumer preview for less. Wasn't really impressed with either, to be honest. Yes, the under-the-hood changes are great, and Win7 should get them (but it won't) it's just that Microsoft philosophy seems to be that if you want your juicy steak, you have to smother it in dog sh!t first. I don't want a steak that badly.

If someone happens to make a Win7iser for Win8, then I might upgrade, but given that I've got retail copies of Win7, I don't want to be tied down to OEM versions again (pain in the balls when upgrading).

It seems the new 'personal' System builder versions are much less restrictive than their windows 7 equivelents and can be transfered to another machine that you own no problem. Only pre installed OEM versions are still restricted to the same machine.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-the-new-windows-8-license-terms-affect-you-7000003028/

For anybody in third level, you may be able to get it for free

http://www.tancosin.com/blogger/how-to-get-full-windows-8-for-free/

• Advertisement

I'm reading reports of people being able to upgrade pirated copies of window 7 with this 30 or 15 euro offer. I guess MS figure they might as well make some money off them. Plus it makes windows 8 out to be successful.
    Lol, it looks like they are basically giving windows 8 away.

Advertisement