Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded to Windows 8 - useful tips / hardware?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

N64 wrote: »
    For anybody in third level, you may be able to get it for free

http://www.tancosin.com/blogger/how-to-get-full-windows-8-for-free/

This applies to me. Only just ordered W7 the other day with my Hardwareversand build :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

This applies to me. Only just ordered W7 the other day with my Hardwareversand build :(

Stinger :o Perhaps if you left the DVD case sealed you could return it under the cooling off peroid and try to get a refund? (minus the cost of sending it back to them)

Stinger :o Perhaps if you left the DVD case sealed you could return it under the cooling off peroid and try to get a refund? (minus the cost of sending it back to them)

Hasn't even been delivered yet. Might consider sending it back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

For anybody in third level, you may be able to get it for free

http://www.tancosin.com/blogger/how-to-get-full-windows-8-for-free/

That's a retail version? So if I ask one of my cousins who is still in college for their key I can use it and don't have to worry about upgrading my motherboard (OEM Win7 is tied to my motherboard :()?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Eboggles wrote: »
    don't have to worry about upgrading my motherboard (OEM Win7 is tied to my motherboard :()?
    It's not really. I went from AMD to Intel on an OEM win7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

It's not really. I went from AMD to Intel on an OEM win7.

Really? Great! I'm off to make a few phone calls :D

Hasn't even been delivered yet. Might consider sending it back...

Will they take this back do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

guys which is better custom or upgrade install.

Will they take this back do you reckon?
    Right of revocation
    You can revoke your declaration of contract within 14 days, without needing to give reasons, in text form (e.g. letter, fax, e-Mail) or - if have you received the item before expiry of the deadline - also by returning the item. The deadline starts after you have received this information in text form, although not before the goods have been delivered to the recipient (in the case of repeat deliveries of the same type of goods, not before receipt of the first instalment delivery) and also not before fulfilment of our duties of providing information as per Article 246 § 2 in conjunction with § 1 Paragraphs 1 and 2 EGBGB and our obligations as per § 312g Paragraph 1 Clause 1 BGB in conjunction with Article 246 § 3 EGBGB. The revocation deadline is met if the revocation or the item is dispatched before the deadline ends.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/infoagbprivat.jsp

Provided that the case is sealed, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't accept it back. Why not try sending them a email/calling them and seeing what they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,385 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iv it downloaded on my dads laptop and have been playing around with it

its horrible iv found

Ill keep with my win 7

feel sorry for my dad now :pac:

• Advertisement

"Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster" http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411445,00.asp
    It might not be so bad you went with W7 in the end.

You can also get windows 7 from the dreamspark program :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

"Windows 8 Is a Desktop Disaster" http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411445,00.asp
    It might not be so bad you went with W7 in the end.

I know people might be too bitchy about stuff, but god windows 8 is stupid product.

All these years MS was upgrading and polishing out windows. Windows 7 was/is such a great platform. If you used windows 95, then you can use windows 7. The new 8 tool all progress and threw it out of the window.

The only thing that will come good out of it - windows 7 might get cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I know people might be too bitchy about stuff, but god windows 8 is stupid product.

All these years MS was upgrading and polishing out windows. Windows 7 was/is such a great platform. If you used windows 95, then you can use windows 7. The new 8 tool all progress and threw it out of the window.

The only thing that will come good out of it - windows 7 might get cheaper.

I would contend that ever since the dawn of Windows 1.0 the user interface has always been tailored to one input device - the mouse. That is why only incremental improvements have been necessary, same input device = similar user interface. Fact is that into the future touch screen devices are going to account for the vast majority of all computer hardware and if Microsoft want windows to remain relevant the user interface had to change to account for the new input method.

I reckon that the mouse will become a niche tool in the next decade, even for gaming. I think the VR headsets with accelerometer tracking such as the Occulus rift coupled with a gamepad will replace the mouse & keyboard as the optimal control for gaming.

sink wrote: »
    I would contend that ever since the dawn of Windows 1.0 the user interface has always been tailored to one input device - the mouse. That is why only incremental improvements have been necessary, same input device = similar user interface. Fact is that into the future touch screen devices are going to account for the vast majority of all computer hardware and if Microsoft want windows to remain relevant the user interface had to change to account for the new input method.

I reckon that the mouse will become a niche tool in the next decade, even for gaming. I think the VR headsets with accelerometer tracking such as the Occulus rift coupled with a gamepad will replace the mouse & keyboard as the optimal control for gaming.

Oculus rift is a cool idea, but it is just a motion control wii wankfest 2.0. I read on somewhere about console controllers. Why they don't change much for so many years and all the motion control stuff does not catch on. Very simple - controllers just work.
    Same issues with mouse and keyboard setup. It just works. I do know that touchscreen is catching on fast, very fast. There are places where it is awesome - phones, tablets, but it does not work on desktops.

Oculus rift is a cool idea, but it is just a motion control wii wankfest 2.0. I read on somewhere about console controllers. Why they don't change much for so many years and all the motion control stuff does not catch on. Very simple - controllers just work.
    Same issues with mouse and keyboard setup. It just works. I do know that touchscreen is catching on fast, very fast. There are places where it is awesome - phones, tablets, but it does not work on desktops.

The Occulus rift is quiet a different type of motion controller to the wiimote/kinect. Turning your head to look should be as intuitive and precise as using your finger to move objects around a touch screen. Think it has alot more going for it than the motion controlled fad of the current generation.

sink wrote: »
    The Occulus rift is quiet a different type of motion controller to the wiimote/kinect. Turning your head to look should be as intuitive and precise as using your finger to move objects around a touch screen. Think it has alot more going for it than the motion controlled fad of the current generation.

People play video games to relax, not to have some crap on their face and move your head like epileptic. I still will love to try it out, but it won't be a mainstream gaming device.

People play video games to relax, not to have some crap on their face and move your head like epileptic. I still will love to try it out, but it won't be a mainstream gaming device.

I suppose only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Want to know when I'll try Windows 8? When I can get my hands on this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Being using a while since the previews came out - nice fast os - but its so much better if you install the free classicshell.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I was missing the old file explorer, quicklaunch, file explorer status bar (that show disk space) and the good old start menu.

This got them all back and the option to use the new features when required. :)

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »
    Being using a while since the previews came out - nice fast os - but its so much better if you install the free classicshell.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I was missing the old file explorer, quicklaunch, file explorer status bar (that show disk space) and the good old start menu.

This got them all back and the option to use the new features when required. :)

I don't really like the look of it myself. Stardocks "start8" application looks far more appealing.

Would installing this put more extra bloat on the OS? Would it reduce the performance of games at all?

I don't really like the look of it myself. Stardocks "start8" application looks far more appealing.

Would installing this put more extra bloat on the OS? Would it reduce the performance of games at all?

There going to make a fortune off Window 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Hitler's views on Windows 8

I think he is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I'm wondering about this too - I put Win 8 on my 2 year old desktop (i5 760) with Start8 and my couple of month old laptop ( i5-2450M) without. The laptop boots in 0.28 and the desktop takes 1.08. I guess if I use the Remove everything and re-install windows option I could get similar boot times as the laptop or maybe its Start8 slowing the system down?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well we've had 35 years or so of the joystick/game pad and in that time many VR headsets and other assorted "next gen" gaming devices have come and gone. Almost all have proven to be substantial failures and even the most hardcore Wii enthusiasts have to admit that the Wiimote is woefully lacking for some traditional genres. Don't get me wrong, what it does, it does well and was a great innovation but in some instances, there's just no replacing the functionality, biofeedback and precision that a controller offers.

In the same way, I don't see touchscreen interfaces being the way forward for desktops and laptops, or at least not entirely so. I think they will have a future there but it will be very much shared with the traditional input methods as well. It's much easier for me to zip around a computer screen with a mouse pointer and click on very small links like a Wiki bibliography number link than it is to carefully seek it out with my finger tip and it just takes less effort.

Touchscreen is all well and fine for tablets and phones but I just think there's a lack of consideration being given to desktop and laptop users. Unless these two platforms die off, I wonder if we're looking at a whole load of missed links, leaning forward or reaching over, smudged screens and decreased productivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Advertisement