Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times you got stuck in a game.

• 27-10-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

The last time I remember being really stuck in a game was when I was playing Flashback on the Mega Drive.

The crazy thing was that it was in the only the second screen of the game. You would drop down a hole into a new screen to pick up a hologram or something. Then you had to jump up and grab a ledge to climb back out of the screen. For some reason it never occurred to me that the character would be able to jump up and grab a ledge.

There wasn't much else to do in that screen and I remember being really frustrated that I couldn't get anywhere. I think I was stuck there for two days. I felt pretty stupid when I figured it out. You can see what part I'm talking about in the first 25 seconds of the video below.

Anyone else have any similarly silly moments or parts in games that were just very tough to beat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sonic3CarnivalNightBarrel.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sonic3CarnivalNightBarrel.jpg

jesus, I was in a good mood today until I saw that picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

In ff8 Squall trying to save Rinoa in Space

Oh that drove me ****ing nuts. Everyday I try to catch her and I just couldnt. I thought it was a glitch or something, i finally gave up.

1-2 yrs later I sat down and gave it another shot and it was of the most happiness moments in gaming for me that I finally caught her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The last time I remember being really stuck in a game was when I was playing Flashback on the Mega Drive.

The crazy thing was that it was in the only the second screen of the game. You would drop down a hole into a new screen to pick up a hologram or something. Then you had to jump up and grab a ledge to climb back out of the screen. For some reason it never occurred to me that the character would be able to jump up and grab a ledge.

There wasn't much else to do in that screen and I remember being really frustrated that I couldn't get anywhere. I think I was stuck there for two days. I felt pretty stupid when I figured it out. You can see what part I'm talking about in the first 25 seconds of the video below.

Anyone else have any similarly silly moments or parts in games that were just very tough to beat?

if Flashback was made now you'd have a 20 minute tutorial teaching you how to walk left and right, and get achivements for doing both, it'd also have huge flashing context sensitive "jump up here!" arrows and then offer to do it for you if you stop for a few seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The end of th 1st level on M.A.S.K on C64, still to this day have no clue how to get past the big rocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

[Mod edit: Quoted spam deleted]

Bloody spammers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bloody spammers!

It's getting ridiculous the amount of spammers brds has now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The final level of Golden Axe on the harder difficulty. Tough as nails. Don't think I ever finished it IIRC (challenge accepted!)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Loved the game, also never finished it. Got stuck somewhere in Red Forest, cannot remember where exactly though. Very unforgiving game imo but that's half the beauty of it :)

Fantastic Dizzy - Again my mind is very fuzzy but I distinctly remember getting stuck somewhere, IIRC I found out that it wasn't even halfway through the game. I really should get around to finishing it.

Other notable games for me: Dark Souls and Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I remember getting stuck in the original Prince of Persia game a few times, but i eventually finished it.

There was this one game on the SNES i think, and i can't recall it perfectly, but it was a 2d platformer, you were basically some guy who had to do all these challenges for different guilds, getting armor and weapons along the way. I think it was one of those games where the screen doesn't move, just loads another screen. It was one of the most frustrating games i've ever played, and i definitely didn't finish it as i couldn't get past a certain guild quest. I'd love to get it again to try, but i can't remember it... (if anyone can help me with that ;) )

Headshot wrote: »

It's getting ridiculous the amount of spammers brds has now.

It's a balls!

On topic, the original prince of Persia on game boy had me beat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

[Mod edit: Quoted spam deleted]

Bloody spammers!

Everyone hates spam, but do us a favour and DON'T QUOTE IT. When the spammer and his posts are nuked, your quoted Spam is left behind. Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nintendo 64 playing Zelda Ocarina of Time

You had to play a tune in front of some statue but dammit, I was stuck for weeks

The manuel had a helpline that you rang up, it was pretty expensive, one of these premium lines

Some English chap sorted me out in seconds

I doubt these lines exist anymore but there just wasn't youtube or website walkthrough guides back then

Anybody else ever ring up a helpline that was run by the games company?

Mr E wrote: »

Everyone hates spam, but do us a favour and DON'T QUOTE IT. When the spammer and his posts are nuked, your quoted Spam is left behind. Cheers...

Ah, never thought of that! Silly me!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

*Sigh*

36huro.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

that level in top gun 2 for the nes where you had to fly through the trees was impossible. I have think it was level 3

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

Last part of Half Life 2 Episode 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

CSSE09 wrote: »
    *Sigh*

36huro.jpg

that train :mad:

ummm seymour from ff10 the first battle with him in the temple took me about 3 days to beat him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

CSSE09 wrote: »
    *Sigh*

36huro.jpg

This. I think I gave up on the game because of this.

The final boss battle in Space Marine. That's one that really stuck with me. It is very tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

z-rcbaron.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That fúcking mission...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Tried that Zero mission on mouse and keyboard a few days ago. Needless to say, I need a new monitor now.

It was bad enough with a PS controller. Anyone who manages to complete it with M+KB deserves a medal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

That fecking race mission in Mafia 1. Horrible controls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not exaggerating - I was stuck on the Ready Steady Go level of Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan for over half a decade. I just couldn't manage it - when it reached the part you had to do three long spin wheels, I inevitably failed time after time. This was on normal mode :(

I finally completed it a few weeks ago, with the added assistance of the extended 3DS stylus. Literally the proudest moment of my gaming life.

Now? Hard mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭CptMackey

The last level in driver 1. What a nightmare. Took me
    A good solid 2weeks to finish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Viewtiful Joe - Fire Leo

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Treasure Island Dizzy....everytime these threads come up im haunted again :(
    UP YOURS DIZZY!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Viewtiful Joe - Fire Leo

:mad:

Ooooh forgot about Viewtiful Joe. Took me ages to get past that guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was stuck in Shining Force 2 for over a month. Didn't know how to trigger the next part of the story. Ends up I had to place a wooden tile I found into a tree, no indication was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

A more recent one for me would be playing Max Payne 3 on hard.
    The part on the roof of the hotel when everything's collapsing
    got a bit frustrating after about 20 attempts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Zeros missions in San Andreas make me want to curl up and die.

Advertisement