Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times you got stuck in a game.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

After weeks of trying I just got past the wind section on Death Mount in Chrono Trigger on iOS. I thought it'd be a fun way to play a classic I'd never gotten round to. I thought WRONG.

The touchscreen is so poor and Sqeenix put so little effort into the port that no concession is made. If you are not as accurate on the screen as you would be on a pad, you aren't getting up that mountain.

I literally had to retrain myself how I hold a mobile device in order to go from run to walk and not scoot out into the wind at the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I remember I rented out Silent Hill for the Xbox and was stuck after about five minutes of the game, I remember just walking around trying to get somewhere but couldnt get anywhere other than the little street I was on. I gave up after an hour of trying, a fella I worked with told me to get it cause it was so good, so when he asked me what I thought I just said yeah its pretty good alright, (couldnt tell him I just walked around a street for a while then gave up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Pretty much every Final Fantasy, I always get stuck somewhere for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I still haven't been able to complete Sonic 2. I just can't beat the final boss. This has been going on for about 18 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im currently pulling my hair out from play serious Sam 3. Im playing it on the hardest difficulty and taking on a huge huge space ship while harpy's, skeletons and suicide bombers trying to take me out

its driving me nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I'm ashamed to admit I got stuck in Spyro the Dragon on the Haunted Towers level for years. It was only a few years ago that it occurred to me to just google it and I finally finished the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭weemcd

End boss in fight night champion Isaac Frost, you actually aren't allowed (you can but you will be ko'd fairly quickly) to hit him for the first 3 rounds, just move, that's all you can do. Then you have to land 75 body shots in 2 rounds, after that you can apparently put an end to the fight.

I'd say I've tried this fight over 2/300 times and furthest I got was about 6 rounds. Real dirty cheat of a boss, you can't hit and if he touches you you are on the canvas in no time.

All I could think about when playing it was just pressing eject on the ps3, walking outside and throwing the disc like a frisbee as far as the fúckin thing would go.

Haven't touched it since. The sign in for EA to download fighters that other players had made never worked either (something I was very interested in) 2 things that fúcked up an otherwise great game for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

BopNiblets wrote: »
    GTA San Andreas, the car dealer ship near your garage, you had to do some fancy 360° ramp flip to unlock it.
    Gave up on PC, I think it was for console controllers only or some crap.

Had that same problem myself, stuck on the 360 flip. It's a graphics setting as far as I remember, vsync or some equivalent. The physics engine was built around a certain framerate it seems :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

After well over 200 attempts at doing the Mile High achievement in Modern Warfare on Veteran I finally made it to the top of the plane - then shot the hostage instead of the terrorist.

I'm still not over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭blackwave

Not strictly stuck as I could still play the rest of the game but the first race on the top gear track in Gran Turismo 5 where you have to drive a Samba truck and pass out 11 other drivers was incredibly frustrating particularly when you are using a controller like me. I had about a couple hundred goes at it probably left it for nearly a year now and came back to it last week and managed to finish relief would not begin to describe how I felt :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm ashamed to admit I got stuck in Spyro the Dragon on the Haunted Towers level for years. It was only a few years ago that it occurred to me to just google it and I finally finished the game.

I never got stuck in Spyro but wasn't there a hidden dragon in that level that they put there just to make it hard to 100% the game. The only way you could have found that dragon is to have known about it. It was in all the cheat books back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The new portal on Xbox , every fücking level on mp and sp, even on my second play through

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Zelda Ocarina of Time - The Forest Temple.

There's this bit on a stairwell where you're supposed to shoot arrows at paintings on the wall. You have to shoot when you see a ghost in the painting, but if you go too close the ghost disappears.

There's nothing in the game to suggest you need to shoot at them

The music changes, there is blank portraits on the wall, the room is tiny and has nothing else in it..... and the ghosts (poe's) snigger at you as you approach. Frankly, I'm thinking you would have missed a giant arrow or sign post telling you what to do. :p

There are many people who struggled with Zelda OoT but nearly all of them on the Water temple as you could screw yourself over if you used the wrong key on the wrong door. The forest temple's only legitimate problem was a hard to find small key near one of those fighting plants that alot of people miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Kirby wrote: »
    The music changes, there is blank portraits on the wall, the room is tiny and has nothing else in it..... and the ghosts (poe's) snigger at you as you approach. Frankly, I'm thinking you would have missed a giant arrow or sign post telling you what to do. :p

There are many people who struggled with Zelda OoT but nearly all of them on the Water temple as you could screw yourself over if you used the wrong key on the wrong door. The forest temple's only legitimate problem was a hard to find small key near one of those fighting plants that alot of people miss.

Funny thing is, I actually finished OoT on the 3DS and did the Water Temple without the Blue Tunic. That was fun. I just forgot where to get it. Same reason why I never got Biggoron's sword at all or Epona until before the desert. Really surprised a guy I know who plays the game a lot when I told him. Don't think he knew it was possible.

But when I started replaying it years ago on the gamecube, I was at a part where I kept going around the fire temple, I think it was, looking how to progress. I text the guy I mentioned above and he told me to make a jump that I didn't think Link could make and it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Great game but the level design of either Jedi Knight 1 or 2 (can't remember which) was often as frustrating as ****. Some levels had me running around for ages looking for the way forwards.

Probably Jedi Knight II. Really big maps that most of the areas looked really similar and no map.
    There are many people who struggled with Zelda OoT but nearly all of them on the Water temple as you could screw yourself over if you used the wrong key on the wrong door.

You could not get stuck in the Water Temple regardless of which order you used the keys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

First time i played Homeworld, i couldn't get past the 4th (i think) level to save my life. I had to send a probe to investigate an area, and once i did i got attacked by a huge fleet. A couple of Ion frigates and a Carrier iirc. Totally smashed my fighter fleet, and i just couldn't get past it.

3-4 months later, i tried again and just didn't send the probe. Let my harvesters just gradually get to where i needed to go while i built up my fleet. By the time they attacked me, i had a fleet 3-4 times their size and wiped the floor with them. Couldn't believe how easy it was :o

Delighted i did finish it, as it's still in my top 5 games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You could not get stuck in the Water Temple regardless of which order you used the keys.

Untrue chopper. This line gets banded about on zelda support forums and is actually wrong.

There is a block at some point in the dungeon that, if moved the wrong way, blocks you from retrieving one of the keys unless you have the hookshot. If you don't save, you can technically reset your 64 and do it again but if you saved.....you are boned. That's not even mentioning when people fell through the bottom of the map when hookshotting. There were plenty of ways to glitch the crap out of that temple.

They fixed it in the 3ds version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Untrue chopper. This line gets banded about on zelda support forums and is actually wrong.

There is a block at some point in the dungeon that, if moved the wrong way, blocks you from retrieving one of the keys unless you have the hookshot. If you don't save, you can technically reset your 64 and do it again but if you saved.....you are boned. That's not even mentioning when people fell through the bottom of the map when hookshotting. There were plenty of ways to glitch the crap out of that temple.

They fixed it in the 3ds version.

Which block is this? The one in the + shaped corridor? I think it's still possible to do it, it's just tricky, and involves changing the water level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

CSSE09 wrote: »
    *Sigh*

36huro.jpg
    There was about 5 or 6 parts in that game that had me stuck.

The dance mission that was only available at a certain time and when you did win the van, you had a 4 star cop rating so it was still a balls.

The part you mentioned.

A glitch while waiting for someone outside her house in a gimp costume

All of the model airplane levels.

GtaIV also still has me stuck for being so boring I fall asleep just thinking about it.

I was also stuck for months on Zelda ocarina of time, never thought of using the master sword, bought cheat books and all and could not figure it out. My friend cleared it for me first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭kksaints

IIRC in Colin McRae Rally (the first one), you had to finish in the top 6 of a rally during the season in order to progress to the next rally. The rally of Sweden took me months to complete!

Yeah If you went off on that snow rally that was the rally as good as over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Spent hours stuck in this as a kid.

pic1.png

Most recently I was stuck on the Benezia fight in Mass Effect, ended up restarting the game and doing all the side missions before that fight and then completed it first time.

And while not technically stuck the 'If they came to hear me beg' achievement from Halo Reach had me trying for hours to pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

CptMackey wrote: »
    The last level in driver 1. What a nightmare. Took me
    A good solid 2weeks to finish it.

Never mind the last level, the first level was worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Eventually did it after 100's of tries, great game ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wagon_repair

Tree Tops

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kiith wrote: »
    First time i played Homeworld, i couldn't get past the 4th (i think) level to save my life. I had to send a probe to investigate an area, and once i did i got attacked by a huge fleet. A couple of Ion frigates and a Carrier iirc. Totally smashed my fighter fleet, and i just couldn't get past it.

3-4 months later, i tried again and just didn't send the probe. Let my harvesters just gradually get to where i needed to go while i built up my fleet. By the time they attacked me, i had a fleet 3-4 times their size and wiped the floor with them. Couldn't believe how easy it was :o

The thing about that game is that once you knew how the enemies spawned you generally got the measure of them and then stole all their ships to use in your own armada, making a lot of the later missions progressively easier.
    Kiith wrote: »
    Delighted i did finish it, as it's still in my top 5 games of all time.
    Another one, took me about 2 weeks to finish the second last mission with the asteroid. Had to start the game again because my fleet at the start of the mission wasn't big enough (not enough stealing!:))

0.jpg

This game. Utter madness.
    About 1/3 of the way in I just gave up and followed a guide to it word for word.

It made not even the tiniest wigglesworth of sense. Made up for it with the brilliant Eric Idle doing the voicework and the writing being brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

unkymo wrote: »
    Never mind the last level, the first level was worse!

I actually sold my copy of Driver because I couldn't get it even after 30 minutes of playing! :mad:

Really bad game design IMO, they should've brought in outside testers on a regular basis to recheck the difficulty.

Or, y'know, not made Yank-tanks handle like sh!t! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

What game is that screenshot from, Gbear?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Picked up Dead Rising 2 recently and now stuck in it. I am NOT accustomed to old style save systems and time limits like this. Im now in a situation where I cant beat a boss because Im not leveled up enough and I can't go away to level up because the time limit on the mission will expire meaning Ill fail the main campaign...... :mad:

I am way too old for this kind of shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Agricola wrote: »
    Picked up Dead Rising 2 recently and now stuck in it. I am NOT accustomed to old style save systems and time limits like this. Im now in a situation where I cant beat a boss because Im not leveled up enough and I can't go away to level up because the time limit on the mission will expire meaning Ill fail the main campaign...... :mad:

I am way too old for this kind of shít.

The Dead Rising games aren't quite that old-school. When you die, you still keep all your experience points and level. They know you'll die, it's just a matter of getting used to the idea of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, at the battle for Helm's Deep. Honestly spent about 4 hours at it. I think the game eventually took pity on me.

Advertisement