Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Manchester United 28.10.12 KO 4:00pm (Sky Sports 1)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yep good post - very happy with the Chelsea performance, apart from Luiz and Torres, I just dont think they are up to scratch
    Torres should have been sent off anyway for the neck high tackle
    Still top of league and the rest have to catch us.
    If we had a RVP, we wouldnt be under so much pressure but at the moment, we have to rely on Mata etc rather than our expensive striker and say what you like, strikers are there to score goals and turn up and deliver in big games. If we can find one of those, and a defender, we really will be contenders

Good job Roman was there today , may force his hand towards Falco in January :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Has to call for pint.

GGMU!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fuhrer wrote: »
    If you were on course to score 3 or 4, you would have scored 3 or 4.

Logic is taking a severe hit here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Good job Roman was there today , may force his hand towards Falco in January :D

And a defender or 3 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

any United fans who say you don't get decisions take a step back and shut it.

They do, but so does every other club in the premiership

The amount of hate for United because of their success manipulates people into thinking that they are some how favored by officials.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Regarding the De Gea free kick (mata). If he didn't move to his left he wouldn't have saved Matas free kick last year. So it works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Fishooks12 wrote: »

The amount of hate for United because of their success manipulates people into thinking that they are some how favored by officials.

even though they clearly are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

niallo27 wrote: »
    So how many games like today have to happen before utd fans might actually admit they get the benefit of the doubt in certain games. I don't know what they are afraid of.

NEWSFLASH: every team gets the benefit of the doubt in certain games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

J. Marston wrote: »
    Post your stuff at RAWK, it'll be lapped up and you'll be lauded as some kind of ace researcher. Post it anywhere else and you'll be laughed at for being a conspiracy nut.

The thing you have posted from ESPN highlights the point. While he has got more games than anyone it makes his long absence from Man United games all the more strange. In rotation he has averaged the other top teams I think 6 times a season but this is the first time in that rotation he has gotten a United game in almost a year.

The only team standing out is Manchester United.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

And a defender or 3 ...

And a good ref .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

looked like Young slowed down his run and his heel clipped Ivan's toe.
    Spoken like a true blue supporter :D

MUSEIST wrote: »
    even though they clearly are

back it up so. Give me hard facts as to how United are favored by refs

Not just anecdotal tales, cold hard facts.

And failing that, can you at least point out what benefit to refs it would be favoring United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Fergie dodged the ref question somewhat

back it up so. Give me hard facts as to how United are favored by refs

Not just anecdotal tales, cold hard facts.

Okay, the 90 minutes of football I watched today shall be exhibit A.

muffler wrote: »
    Spoken like a true blue supporter :D

Who let you in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I prefer Gary Neville in the studio rather than as co commentator.
    Excellent analysis either way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

oprawk wrote: »
    The thing you have posted from ESPN highlights the point. While he has got more games than anyone it makes his long absence from Man United games all the more strange. In rotation he has averaged the other top teams I think 6 times a season but this is the first time in that rotation he has gotten a United game in almost a year.

Opr

You're seriously reaching there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Rick-James-celebration.gif

Glad to finally get a win at the bridge, 1 point off the top. Great day lucky as to win it obviously but I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

That was the game where United had two penalties turned down, Torres should have been given a straight red...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

All top 4 teams are favoured by officials, I'll freely admit that but United have gotten some strange calls in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Who let you in :pac:
    Just making sure that my fellow Utd supporters arent abusing my fellow mod ;)

So one game where the ref got two decision's wrong that altered the game. Well done sir, comprehensive argument.

He also got another wrong in the first half, where he should have sent of Torres rather than booked him. But maybe in your eyes he didn't want to send him off too early, that would have made it too obvious that he was part of the aluminati conspiracy to hand United the title by ref power . :rolleyes:

So one game where the ref got two decision's wrong that altered the game. Well done sir, comprehensive argument.

He also got another wrong in the first half, where he should have sent of Torres rather than booked him. But maybe in your eyes he didn't want to send him off too early, that would have made it too obvious. :rolleyes:

Glad you agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Why wouldn't he? The fa are quick to give fergie a ban for speaking about refs. Why should he put himself in the firing line after a win like that?

Before I say anything stupid :D:D

seinfeld-George-Costanza-im-out-of-here-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-345.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Drumpot wrote: »

Why wouldn't he? The fa are quick to give fergie a ban for speaking about refs. Why should he put himself in the firing line after a win like that?
    Years of experience not to get dragged in to an argument he doesn't need to

Glad you agree

Ha, brilliant. Think I just "won" the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Prick! wrote: »
    Before I say anything stupid :D:D

You saying something stupid? That's unpossible

The Torres red was a joke to be fair, but happy United won :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

All top 4 teams are favoured by officials, I'll freely admit that but United have gotten some strange calls in the past.

Disagree.

opr wrote: »

Opr

So who is leading this then, the FA? They have being super lax on United in recent years indeed...

Why is it United who seem to be getting this treatment or has the case study analyzed all ref's and teams?

My word.

• Advertisement

no they're not

J. Marston wrote: »
    You're seriously reaching there.

Maybe but he's just one example of a large number. Is it just another coincidence that Chris Foy, who refereed Man U defeat to Tottenham, was demoted to a League 2 game the next weekend, his first League 2 game since 2006? Should Halsey be having dinner with Ferguson the week before a Man United game with Liverpool which he will referee?

Clearly while not directly influencing the referees somehow they do influence the selection process. if they're seen as having a bad game while refereeing a Man U game it's clear Man U have influence on if they get another game involving them anytime soon. No other team has this kind of influence to pick and choose referees.

Opr

The ONLY difference is that when united get questionable decisions there is more outrage and discussions and when decisions go against united people just say its karma.

It's simply selective "outrage" at consistently poor officiating decisions. United are arguably the most supported club in the world. They have the most successful and most hated manager in the world. You need only look at any united game thread where they get a funny decision and compare it to any other team when they get a similar poor decision as anecdotal evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

As mentioned already, the Everton - Liverpool thread got locked due to "digs at Liverpool". This thread seems to have different rules.

That's not why it was locked.

Also, this thread is currently calm. If it flares up again, it'll be locked just as the previous one was.

The ONLY difference is that when united get questionable decisions there is more outrage and discussions and when decisions go against united people just say its karma.

It's simply selective "outrage" at consistently poor officiating decisions. United are arguably the most supported club in the world. They have the most successful and most hated manager in the world. You need only look at any united game thread where they get a funny decision and compare it to any other team when they get a similar poor decision as anecdotal evidence.

This, times 100. Every nutcase shouting conspiracy should read this and ask themselves is there really a "conspiracy" or is it just their own faux outrage at United

Of course he did, one thing I tend to notice about Fergie is that before games like these he will come out and say that he never gets decisions at "X" ground or "X" team got big decisions last time we played, more often than not it ends up with a big ref decision in that game then...

... It might be a big coincidence but I think it's Fergie mind games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Fuhrer wrote: »
    That was the game where United had two penalties turned down, Torres should have been given a straight red...

The ball bounced off him onto his hands, it's not a pen. I don't remember the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Maybe but he's just one example of a large number. Is it just another coincidence that Chris Foy, who refereed Man U defeat to Tottenham, was demoted to a League 2 game the next weekend, his first League 2 game since 2006? Should Halsey be having dinner with Ferguson the week before a Man United game with Liverpool which he will referee?

Clearly while not directly influencing the referees somehow they do influence the selection process. if they're seen as having a bad game while refereeing a Man U game it's clear Man U have influence on if they get another game involving them anytime soon. No other team has this kind of influence to pick and choose referees.

Opr
    Dig up man, for crying out loud dig up.
    You might be able to salvage some credibility.

Good to see Geoff shreeves go easy on di matteo. Didn't bother asking if Torres was lucky not to get red for his first yellow!

RasTa wrote: »
    So who is leading this then, the FA? They have being super lax on United in recent years indeed...

Why is it United who seem to be getting this treatment or has the case study analyzed all ref's and teams?

My word.

Rafa Benitez: "You cannot have an impartial Football Association when members of that board are also executives at Manchester United."

The same goes for any club. It's a clear conflict of interest. Referee selection needs to become completely transparent for this stuff to stop. No club should have influence on who is refereeing a game.

Opr

• Advertisement

Opr

Yes it is a coincidence, it's as simple as that. Here is the viewpoint from our side. Even debating this from any side is crazy imo.
    There have been all kinds of fantasy inspired theories spreading the internet this week about Manchester United and referees. Some of them penned by absolute loons, some pushed on by those looking for approval and others by people who would take anything that Jeff Winter says as valuable.

The general gist of them and the underlying message is: It's not fair, Ferguson picks the referees and runs the show and that's why Manchester United have been successful, it's an establishment thing, it's all fixed, everyone knows it, it's true, look at the FACTS, you're in denial if you don't agree, I bet you believe the American government about 9/11, it's there for everyone to see, blah blah blah

These things normally slip away but when they're picked up and pushed by some of Twitterati (shouldn't that first i be an a?) they get a whole new life. The main snippet which has been passed around the internet is this:

http://api.ning.com/files/10CxAbhYLQy7mEcELA-Ka3b8HFRkxE9iH3Wqapyig8VUFY0Sddibm3oNMaQd4MCVUz119J7VIoB8wPlNxxzT0JeDedBdQZ*w/refpoo.PNG

It sounds damning but when reality is applied it falls to pieces. Our friends @United_Stuff started to debunk it and we've taken it on from there. The referees to have Premier League matches at Old Trafford last season were:

Dean

Jones

Walton

Dowd

Probert

Oliver

Mason

Halsey

Foy

Clattenburg

Attwell

Webb

Only 5 referees, those in bold, got more than one game and 7, those in blue, didn't. Therefore it's more likely for a referee to have just the one match, and this is the situation with both Dean and Clattenburg. So what was painted to be an odd situation was anything but, indeed Mike Dean was the referee for the last game at Old Trafford of the previous season, against Blackpool.

All in all, Manchester United had 15 different referees for Premier League games last season. There's nothing strange at all, and it's odd that people still spend so much time trying to find a conspiracy.

Regarding Foy, the referees association said "There is absolutely no truth in suggestions Chris has been demoted or punished in some way.

"Chris has refereed more Premier League games than most this season and there is a rota system in place.

"We have been delighted with the standard of Chris's performances. He's having a good season."

Referees are allocated six weeks before matches but changed if there's an injury, Foy was always scheduled for the League Two game. Unless The FA were physic that Manchester United would lose then it's another conspiracy theory debunked.

But why was Pluto relegated from a planet? What did Pluto know? The Americans will do anything to hide the fact they know there's aliens watching us, are they on Pluto and was Pluto about to talk? See, paranoid football fans, there are far more important things out there to question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Rafa Benitez: "You cannot have an impartial Football Association when members of that board are also executives at Manchester United."

The same goes for any club. It's a clear conflict of interest. Referee selection needs to become completely transparent for this stuff to stop. No club should have influence on who is refereeing a game.

Opr

Rafa Benitez, clearly the least biased person to interview on the subject.

Only because it happens more often. To be honest if United get decisions against them there's more outrage among United fans then the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Opr
    But sure all the refs are pro United if we buy into the nonsense being spouted around here.
    So what difference does it make who it is??

curry-muff wrote: »
    Rafa Benitez, clearly the least biased person to interview on the subject.

Maybe the views of a referee from within the game? Jeff Winter said
    "Very early in my Premier League career I sent Roy Keane off and incurred Fergie's wrath for doing so," said Winter

"In the course of the next two seasons I did not get a single Manchester United game, even though I refereed every other Premier League club at least five or six times. I was not afraid to stand up to him and I think he knew that.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

No sympathy for Torres, he's no angel when it comes to diving. It's embedded in referees minds so the likes of Torres,Suarez, Bale are going to find these things happening to them. They only have themselves to blame.

Maybe the views of a referee from within the game? Jeff Winter said

Opr

For someone who signs off their own posts, I'd expect more.

Opr

No club does, read my previous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Opr

Jesus wept. Typical paranoid bollocks from Rafa, i would expect no better. What about David Dein being the head of the FA some years back and David Bernstein currently heading the FA? Of course when Gill (who isnt exactly mr popular among utd fans fwiw) is Vice President it's a conspiracy. Ridiculous ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Perhaps we could move all this to the conspiracy theory forum?

3 points. That ain't a conspiracy. That's a fact.

Robin Van Persie, I'm glad your inner child screamed in the manner it did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement