Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Manchester United 28.10.12 KO 4:00pm (Sky Sports 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

niallo27 wrote: »
    Chelsea to score first at 5/6 looks like a decent bet.

As said already, teams after playing away in the CL often start slow (or play poorly for the entire game) in their next match so I wouldn't really be going near that at 5/6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Blatter wrote: »

As said already, teams after playing away in the CL often start slow (or play poorly for the entire game) in their next match so I wouldn't really be going near that at 5/6.

You gonna back that up with some stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Form the Chelsea Vs Spurs match thread.
    A 12.45 kick off directly after internationals? This is likely to be a borefest.

I'd be all over that at 5/6.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No he didn't. Saying Fergie went to that game playing for a draw is laughable.

Liverpool did dominate for the first half, but that has happened in nearly every game for United this season. The other team dominates the first half and gets a goal, then United start playing in the second half or even in injury time.

But saying he went to draw the game is wrong. Did he go for a draw at home to Newcastle? Newcastle dominated most of that game as well

I never said he went for the draw against Liverpool. What I said was he was afraid to play their normal game. United never started playing against Liverpool, they got lucky, you've got to admit that.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    You gonna back that up with some stats?

I could if I wanted to, but I want to watch the Liverpool match now. Might do later though!

Just off the top of my head, the 6-1 and 8-2 games of last season came off of the back of European away games for United and Arsenal respectively.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Form the Chelsea Vs Spurs match thread.

I'd be all over that at 5/6.;)

Ha, just because it wasn't a borefest, it doesn't mean that the fact it was a 12.45 kickoff directly after internationals didn't make it more likely to be one! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Still, to think United will set out to play for 0-0 draw the way United have been conceding goals is still madness.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    He did it against Liverpool :confused:

I never said he went for the draw against Liverpool. What I said was he was afraid to play their normal game. United never started playing against Liverpool, they got lucky, you've got to admit that.

But you did say he was going for the draw.

You even responded to my post above saying so.

But you did say he was going for the draw.

You even responded to my post above saying so.

I said he set up for the 0-0/0-1. Meaning he won't open up and wouldn't be too disappointed with the draw. I never said he was playing for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I could if I wanted to, but I want to watch the Liverpool match now. Might do later though!

Just off the top of my head, the 6-1 and 8-2 games of last season came off of the back of European away games for United and Arsenal respectively.

Ha ok.

It's going to have to be over a large sample of seasons for results to be credible. You'll have to show how a teams win rate after a away Euro game deviates from their usual non after away Euro league games win rate. You'll also have to consider things like how long the turnover of games are, like Chelsea played Tuesday night and this is a Sunday game, wheras some weeks you have teams playing a sat game after a Wednesday Euro game.

I'll await your findings, otherwise your post seems like speculative nonesense.

• Advertisement

I don't think seeing them much this season has anything to do with it. Ferguson won't come to Stamford Bridge, 4 points behind, early on in the season, and go for it.
    I never said he was playing for it.

You even said it yourself. I highlighted it there.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Ha ok.

It's going to have to be over a large sample of seasons for results to be credible. You'll have to show how a teams win rate after a away Euro game deviates from their usual non after away Euro league games win rate. You'll also have to consider things like how long the turnover of games are, like Chelsea played Tuesday night and this is a Sunday game, wheras some weeks you have teams playing a sat game after a Wednesday Euro game.

I'll await your findings, otherwise your post seems like speculative nonesense.

Also it will have to include how many changes a team have made, no point including a team that left their 4 key players at home and and made 8 changes.

I'll probably do it for matches between big PL sides over the last few years when one has played away from home in Europe a few days prior, without making anymore than 3 changes for the Prem game.

You even said it yourself. I highlighted it there.

When does not going for it and playing for the draw mean the same thing? :confused:

By going for it, I mean the usual 4-4-2 or attacking 4-3-3. Not playing Giggs.

When does not going for it and playing for the draw mean the same thing? :confused:

By going for it, I mean the usual 4-4-2 or attacking 4-3-3. Not playing Giggs.

I agree, but when I said Ferguson wont be playing for 0-0 you disagreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Oh ffs defense. Another goal conceded first again!?

Evans should of just cleared it.

Now that I have that typed I can enjoy the rest of the game.

I agree, but when I said Ferguson wont be playing for 0-0 you disagreed.

Well then we'll agree to disagree :pac:

I think Ferguson would happily take a 0-0 draw today if offered to him.

• Advertisement

Well then we'll agree to disagree :pac:

I think Ferguson would happily take a 0-0 draw today if offered to him.

I agree totally. He would take 0-0. So would I.

But we cant keep clean sheet at moment so I just would disagree that we will play for a low scoring game. Maybe keep things tight and all.

Fair play though to you for coming back on your points though. Least you gave decent opinion on why you think so, even if I dont agree.

I agree totally. He would take 0-0. So would I.

But we cant keep clean sheet at moment so I just would disagree that we will play for a low scoring game. Maybe keep things tight and all.

Fair play though to you for coming back on your points though. Least you gave decent opinion on why you think so, even if I dont agree.

I'll be back when he announces Giggs is starting :pac:

Wayne Veysey ‏@wayneveysey
    Ashley Young starts for #MUFC

#mufc XI: Chelsea: De Gea, Rafael, Rio, Evans, Evra, Valencia, Cleverley, Carrick, Young, Rooney, RvP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

#MUFC XI: v Chelsea:
    De Gea,
    Rafa, Rio, Evans, Evra,
    Nani, Cleverley, Carrick, Young
    Rooney,
    RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The Chelsea team is as expected.

Team: Cech (c); Ivan, Cahill, D Luiz, Cole; Ram, Mik; Mata, Oscar, Hazard; Torres. - subs: Turn, Azpili, Bert, Rom, Marin, Moses, Sturr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Glad no Giggs or Scholes starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Subs; Lindegaard, Anderson, Giggs, Hernandez, Nani, Welbeck, Scholes

Giggs on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Very attacking from United. Worry about the midfield

Pretty happy with that team tbh!

Ashley Young starting after so long out is slightly confusing but maybe he's looked very sharp in training or something so not overly concerned.

No cover for defender on bench

Very attacking from United. Worry about the midfield

Cheslea's is arguably more attacking tbh.

I'm not really worried about Carrick/Cleverley matching up to Mikel/Ramires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Glad no Giggs or Scholes starting

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Goddamn, those midfields! If this is anything less than a 4-4 thriller I'll be extremely disappointed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Sky Sports just showed Valencia starting instead of Nani

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Odd to see Young starting, overall happy with that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pretty happy with that team tbh!

Ashley Young starting after so long out is slightly confusing but maybe he's looked very sharp in training or something so not overly concerned.

Valencia and Young will be doing a defensive job on Hazard and OScar.

Valencia will be all over Hazard all day long.

Rooney and RVP up front to hassle the suspect Chelsea defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Yeah this seems crazy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Absolutely delighted Young starts. Been missing a left winger for a while now. Young has always done something to impress me.

Prick! wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted Young starts. Been missing a left winger for a while now. Young has always done something to impress me.
    He has a great work rate as well, will be all over the shop.

Our defensive cover is starting in midfield. :)

Prick! wrote: »

Despite not being the most consistent player in terms of his general play, he's always good for a goal or an assist.

Despite not being the most consistent player in terms of his general play, he's always good for a goal or an assist.

Always.

Hopefully Young will be cutting back inside and whipping in some inswingers for Rooney and RvP to attack ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Pretty pleased with that United starting team. Only thing I'm a bit upset about is no Fletcher but I guess its too soon for him.
    Delighted we've gone with 2 out and out wingers at least, think that's where we will have most joy today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Fergie really hates nani now!

• Advertisement

Where did it all go wrong for Nani? :P

Great Euros as well too. Must be something up with a transfer or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lol

25097414.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Absolutely no defensive cover on the bench for United, hope it doesn't come back to bite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Hopefully it's a Chelsea win and everyone sees UTD don't possess a defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Any websites that I could stream this from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

billyhead wrote: »
    Any websites that I could stream this from

yeah there's lots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Jonny Evans to score again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Delighted Cleverley starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lol

25097414.jpg

Come if they want, they got stomped by Everton and lucky to come away with a point.

Antics from Suarez, Agger and Sterling just give easy ammunition to dismiss them

Hazard and Mata give me the ****s.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thank ****, Giggs on the bench. Was sure he was going to start...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement