Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Bricks and mortar shops?

Options
  • 27-10-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

My PSU died today and I wanted to use my computer this weekend. Elara had a decent 550watt psu for about €63 but of course there is a lead time and I can't just go there and buy it which is a real pity. My only conceivable option was buying the same PSU for €89.99 in PC world, which I did as I needed it.

I really have no idea why there are very few decent computer shops. I know there are a few in town but I have no idea if they have what I want because they don't have a proper website (IT direct etc).

What's funny is, I'm in the IT industry but if I need a part, I order it from a wholesaler so I have very little knowledge of what's available for retail customers.

Do we have any good brick and mortar shops that don't rip people off?

If only Elara provided a walk in service, or at the very least order online for immediate pickup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

They can't really compete with the prices on the internet. the likes of hardwareversand are buying in vastly larger quantities far more regularly than any shop in Ireland could, and so will always have much cheaper prices. It's a pity, but it makes more sense for computer parts..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I don't mind paying a bit extra but the difference in price between PC world and an online shop is staggering. Especially paying nearly €30 more for a PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yeah it's crazy how big the price differences are. The same thing is happening with pretty much all electronic goods where they're worth waiting the extra week for shipping than to pay the 10% at least price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Yeah it's crazy how big the price differences are.

Crazy are the costs of doing retail business in Ireland (upward-only rent review, rates, insurance, etc).

Advertisement