Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandparents minding children

Options
  • 27-10-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I just wondering what most people think about this as it's something I've been thinking about for quite a while, and am not sure if I am overreacting or not.

My sister in-law and boyfriend have just had a baby (baby around 10mths). They are both 29 and my sister in-laws boyfriend is unemployed. My mother in-law and father in-law mind the baby 6 days a week from approx 8am - 6pm Mon-Fri and then either from around 1pm - 6pm on Sat/Sun and pay for everything - the parents rent on their house, food for the baby & other essentials. I know it's my MIL & FIL's decision to do this, but it just irks my husband and I. They get absolutely nothing in return, not even a thank you. My SIL's boyfriend doesn't work, so realistically he should be minding the baby everyday, but he doesn't. He just drops it down every morning and leaves her with the grandparents. My husband and I know it is absolutely none of our business, but really feel like the grandparents are being completely taken advantage of. Is this normal?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Hi there,

I just wondering what most people think about this as it's something I've been thinking about for quite a while, and am not sure if I am overreacting or not.

My sister in-law and boyfriend have just had a baby (baby around 10mths). They are both 29 and my sister in-laws boyfriend is unemployed. My mother in-law and father in-law mind the baby 6 days a week from approx 8am - 6pm Mon-Fri and then either from around 1pm - 6pm on Sat/Sun and pay for everything - the parents rent on their house, food for the baby & other essentials. I know it's my MIL & FIL's decision to do this, but it just irks my husband and I. They get absolutely nothing in return, not even a thank you. My SIL's boyfriend doesn't work, so realistically he should be minding the baby everyday, but he doesn't. He just drops it down every morning and leaves her with the grandparents. My husband and I know it is absolutely none of our business, but really feel like the grandparents are being completely taken advantage of. Is this normal?

Many thanks

From your description all seem happy with this situation except you. Many societies do things the way you have described so on a global level its perfectly normal. Why do you think its not? Based on my experience of raising children Id say its perfectly healthy, the child sees a family that help each other out. The parents get free childminding and a break from the stress of young children, the grandparents get to see their grandchild growing up and the child benefits from a close family relationship. I dont see the downside. Its not like the grandparents are young inexperienced naive people that are been taken advantage of. I suspect you already know this and thats why the post is from a guest? Undoubtedly you will not respond!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

My husband and I know it is absolutely none of our business,

I'd say this is the most important part of the OP.

This is not a Parenting forum issue and I can't really see any other forum that would want it so I'm closing the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement