Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an Amex card (basic)

Options
  • 27-10-2012 5:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi there, im looking for advice on getting the most basic amex card, i am currently a student getting 200 euro a week from part time work, is it worth trying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Skyfall wrote: »
    Hi there, im looking for advice on getting the most basic amex card, i am currently a student getting 200 euro a week from part time work, is it worth trying?

What you do you want from am AmEX card that you would get get from a Visa Debit card.

Remember most of the "basic" Amex Cards are "charge" cards, and you have to clear the balance each month.

Also, they are not as widely accepted as Visa/Mastercard, RyanAir for example do not accept them,.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭Skyfall

Just a credit card of any sort, i let my student account lapse, it turned into a graduate one, the bank want me to close my account and open another student one; just thought it might be an easy option

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It is easy enough to get a Credit Card anyway Amex are a waste of time, not all places online take them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Stinicker wrote: »
    It is easy enough to get a Credit Card anyway Amex are a waste of time, not all places online take them either.

Its not easy these days to get a credit card, especially with a limited income as the OP has stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Basically impossible for you to get an Amex. It's extremely difficult for anyone in Ireland to get an Amex really. You need a guarantee from your bank that you will pay it back (which they will not give to you).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Amex are silly. They charges to merchants are quite high (much higher than visa and mastercard) and in a lot of cases an online merchant will pass this charge on to their customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Amex is rubbish, I had a Corporate one, all it was good for was scraping ice off the Windscreen of the car.

Advertisement